Bulk or Modular building

MzCatieB

Bulk Build (Getting all your parts at 1s then building your computer (will cost less, but can be built for for future upgrades (additional GPU's ext)))

Modular build (Getting the parts in stages (Costs more, takes longer better end result))

Vote for what you feel is more logical.

Character artist in the Games industry.

Getting everything you need at once, they maybe getting second GPU in the future etc.

Build the computer when you have the money for all the components you need. This way you won't end up with an outdated motherboard and cpu when you buy your gpu. Buying all at once ensures you are getting the best value out of your money.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Modular builds are only so effective until you have to replace the other parts with the new, compatible ones.

E.g. current z97/x99 motherboards might be incompatible with, say, Cannonlake processors. DDR3 RAM can't be used in X99 motherboards now. Someday new GPUs will be so fast, it's bottlenecked in PCIe 3.0 x16.

GPU shouldn't be much of a problem, but motherboard/ram/processors will get incompatible with the new ones in ~6 years, forcing you to buy the new ones if you want to upgrade; which is the point of doing modular build.

Maybe I'm missing something - how does modular build cost more? Aside from getting the odd combo deal in the bulk build, I assumed the point of buying your parts in stages was that you would wait until certain parts hit their lowest point via sales or whatnot.

EDIT: Maybe the timeframe for a modular build is much longer than I thought it meant, judging by some other posts I'm reading.

Depends on how fast the money flows in... As for me, modular build was the way to go... I get the essentials first then work on upgrades... I'm in my final 3 parts right now...

I will finish with 2 systems instead of one for the cost of one and a half systems...

Modular, I get way more enjoyment out of putting it together over a long timespan instead of putting it together in a day and be done with it.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Maybe I'm missing something - how does modular build cost more? Aside from getting the odd combo deal in the bulk build, I assumed the point of buying your parts in stages was that you would wait until certain parts hit their lowest point via sales or whatnot.

EDIT: Maybe the timeframe for a modular build is much longer than I thought it meant, judging by some other posts I'm reading.

Think paycheck to paycheck and getting the better parts when u have the money, rather than say, jumping in with a Fx-4100 you get a X99 CPU ext

So by the end you have spent more but you have the better components... also you have spent money on multiple deliveries which can add up over time

hm builded mine at once and then every gaming/enthusiast system gets modular because of upgrade paths? eg i wont be swapping my 2600k at least until 2016

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

hm builded mine at once and then every gaming/enthusiast system gets modular because of upgrade paths? eg i wont be swapping my 2600k at least until 2016

im doing a Gaming Workstation through the year and wont need to upgrade it for about 3 years