Language learning software

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on good software for learning languages, primarily Russian and Portuguese (and Afrikaans) but there are so many out there that I don't know what to do. I know of Rosetta Stone and that it is really expensive, so please rule that one out. I'd prefer free or one time buy (even if it means having to buy upgrades later on). I have knowledge of  Linguistics so it it helps any to decide on software, there ya go.

(would also be good to get suggestions from people who actually used the software, or at least where I should begin looking and what I should look for.)

Thanks! Hope to see some replies. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

https://www.duolingo.com/ has portuguese

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Second that, last I checked they don't have Russian yet. It is pretty much the same as Rosetta stone but free and community driven. App support for I think all devices and fun to use.

The only deficit I could think of is grammar, I haven't found a good software for that yet.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please, share it. I've been wanting to learn these languages for years now to talk to friends and family. :)

@PortentousLad

Cool,  thanks! I'll check that out now (making profile now).

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

huh, well that's cool I didn't know how many new options they had added...

yes if been letting it slide. 

• 10 months later...

Bumparoonie, I know, but I never really got more than Duolingo, which I have tried, and I need some resources as it has become far more important for me to learn Russian (I plan on entering the army with the knowledge to get where I want to). Duolingo teaches by having you memorize words and phrases, but I'd actually like to learn the language—grammar, cases, etc etc. Maybe some more people will see this and have suggestions (especially out of experience) or something.

I have heard of Living Languages: Russian Edition and it is relatively cheap, as well as The New Penguin Book on Russian, which I have seen many suggest but for people with some base knowledge of the language already acquired.

If you have any suggestions, please share them! :D