Learning C# Questions

Redliquid
Go to solution Solved by Nuluvius,

Visual Studio Community Edition is completely fully featured, can support plugins and is completely free. It's probably all you will need right now.

Pluralsight and Lynda.com have plenty of C# material.

So i was looking over some courses im interessted in taking and all of them have C# In them so i thought i could start early and learn C# now.

Question 1: C# IDE? I know microsoft Visual studios has C# but eh, expensive? and i think i have to run a legit version of windows to use it?

Question 2: So i found Xacc.ide. Does annyone have experience with it? good place to start learning C# in? (i've been using code::blocks before and it has a compiler in it which is super handy so i'd like to have that)

Question 3: Do you know anny tutorials / free lessons in C#?

Thanks for your advice

Redliquid~

I kind of learned a bit of C# by following Unity3D tutorials.

And are you in an IT college or something? I can get Visual Studio (and a lot more Microsoft development programs) through my school.

(Microsoft dreamspark)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I kind of learned a bit of C# by following Unity3D tutorials.

And are you in an IT college or something? I can get Visual Studio (and a lot more Microsoft development programs) through my school.

(Microsoft dreamspark)

No not yet, im hoping to get in after summer.

Redliquid~

Q1. There are free versions of visual studio

Q2. I have no experience with that IDE, but the visual studio is free so why use anything else. 

Q3. Code academy 

Q1. There are free versions of visual studio

Q2. I have no experience with that IDE, but the visual studio is free so why use anything else. 

Q3. Code academy 

I've been learning a bit in codecademy but they dont have C#? i think?

Redliquid~

Visual studio is great and it can run on a non "legit" windows. What I am assuming is you're using a "cracked" version or something? If that's the case it will still run. I think there is a free version of vs or a trial.

This looks like a great site to start with http://www.csharp-station.com/tutorial.aspx

Visual studio is great and it can run on a non "legit" windows. What I am assuming is you're using a "cracked" version or something? If that's the case it will still run. I think there is a free version of vs or a trial.

This looks like a great site to start with http://www.csharp-station.com/tutorial.aspx

Downloading Visualstudio now =) thanks alot everyone

Redliquid~

Visual Studio Community Edition is completely fully featured, can support plugins and is completely free. It's probably all you will need right now.

Pluralsight and Lynda.com have plenty of C# material.

Yap im coding in that right now :) found a youtube tutorial to watch to but ill check out Pluralsight later :) thanks and nice profile pic ^^

C# Seems to be pretty similar to C++ so far so i think ill pick it up pretty fast

Redliquid~

You can run the Microsoft .NET compiler from command line http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/78f4aasd.aspx

My University had a batch file that did it for us, when I took a c# course.

IMO, there's no real point to an IDE, if you don't have to manage code libraries, database connections or anything else that can't be easily stuffed into a text file.

IMO, there's no real point to an IDE, if you don't have to manage code libraries, database connections or anything else that can't be easily stuffed into a text file.

Don't stop believing that. But as soon as you have to manage a csproj and solution file with more than a couple of files and/or projects it becomes super tedious to manage. That is one of the things, which an IDE just does for you.

Other things as static analysis, code inspection, refactoring, intellisense etc. is not useful either you say? I really want to see you work in a professional environment without any of these tools and be productive. This is some other things that a proper IDE helps you with.

As already pointed out by Nuluvius, Visual Studio Community Edition is free, so is Xamarin Studio (previously called MonoDevelop) which also does C# very well. No other IDE I have tried does C# as well as they do.

Don't stop believing that. But as soon as you have to manage a csproj and solution file with more than a couple of files and/or projects it becomes super tedious to manage. That is one of the things, which an IDE just does for you.

Other things as static analysis, code inspection, refactoring, intellisense etc. is not useful either you say? I really want to see you work in a professional environment without any of these tools and be productive. This is some other things that a proper IDE helps you with.

As already pointed out by Nuluvius, Visual Studio Community Edition is free, so is Xamarin Studio (previously called MonoDevelop) which also does C# very well. No other IDE I have tried does C# as well as they do.

If you have to work with multiple files or projects, which can't be stuffed into one reasonably sized text file... that's the situation where I would use an IDE. I pretty much said that in my first statement.

I have worked in professional environments where I made projects that didn't use any of those tools that you listed. I can do refactoring by hand, intellisense is only really helpful when you have to do a ton of code library calls or are making a huge project, and static analysis never really told me anything important on that project.

Using an IDE can be confusing to someone learning, and has a lot of potential crutches that they may learn with, like the breakpoint debugger on VS.

Also, from what I remember, visual studio 2013 (which I think is the free one) was pretty buggy, compared to 2010.