Fan & PSU Silencers

TheRealSon

Anyone have any input on the effectiveness of PSU and Fan Silencers.

Specifically these.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11624/pss-06/FrozenCPU_Power_Supply_Rubber_Silencer_-_Black.html?id=Mm4E3spW&mv_pc=3306

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16541/fss-42/ModRight_Ninja_Vibration_Silencer_140mm_Fan_Gasket_w_Lip_-_Black.html?id=Mm4E3spW&mv_pc=3307

My PSU fan makes a ton of noise. At idle it is the loudest component by far so I am looking for a way to quiet it down without buying a new one. 

Well all they do is dampen vibrations a little. Does your PSU vibrate or does the fan just have a bad bearing? If the noise is caused by vibrations, it might help a little. Otherwise I'd just put a better fan into that PSU.

Well all they do is dampen vibrations a little. Does your PSU vibrate or does the fan just have a bad bearing? If the noise is caused by vibrations, it might help a little. Otherwise I'd just put a better fan into that PSU.

would it just be a normal 120mm X 25mm fan?

would it just be a normal 120mm X 25mm fan?

In most cases, yes. What PSU do you have? There's two things to consider when doing this. Number one is that you'll void your warranty, if you have any left. Number two is that it isn't just a plug-and-play thing, in most cases you'll need to solder on the new fan, so make sure you have a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing before attempting this.

In most cases, yes. What PSU do you have? There's two things to consider when doing this. Number one is that you'll void your warranty, if you have any left. Number two is that it isn't just a plug-and-play thing, in most cases you'll need to solder on the new fan, so make sure you have a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing before attempting this.

Well i don't have a soldering iron so....this might be out of the question.

Well i don't have a soldering iron so....this might be out of the question.

just get a cheap soldering kit.. its like 10 bucks on ebay.

and watch a few tutorials on youtube if you've never done anything like this before. Btw, what PSU do you have?

just get a cheap soldering kit.. its like 10 bucks on ebay.

and watch a few tutorials on youtube if you've never done anything like this before. Btw, what PSU do you have?

it is an OCZ 750w ZT

it is an OCZ 750w ZT

Ok, in that case you're in luck, no soldering is required with that PSU. Its got a 2-pin fan header instead of the fan cables being directly soldered to the PCB.

ZwiWc83.jpg

Its not easy to find 2-pin fans, but if you look around on ebay you might be able to find one. You could also use a 3-pin to 2-pin fan adapter and basically use any 3-pin fan you want.

Ok, in that case you're in luck, no soldering is required with that PSU. Its got a 2-pin fan header instead of the fan cables being directly soldered to the PCB.

ZwiWc83.jpg

Its not easy to find 2-pin fans, but if you look around on ebay you might be able to find one. You could also use a 3-pin to 2-pin fan adapter and basically use any 3-pin fan you want.

Thanks man! Found an adapter for a few dollars on ebay. Really appreciate the help.

Thanks man! Found an adapter for a few dollars on ebay. Really appreciate the help.

No problem, that's what this forum is for  ;)