College Laptop Help

Mattress

I'm looking for a laptop to take notes with in my college classes. I was considering a Chromebook, but I'm not totally sold on them.

Under $350

15" and under

Weight doesn't matter

Thanks!

You sir, are after an Asus Eee PC. With tablet PCs exploding into the market following Windows 8, these machines have, and will continue to bomb in price in store. I bought myself an Eee PC 1015px last year for $340AUD and it's still chugging along (I use it for hours, daily). When I got it home I installed Ubuntu post-haste over the abomination that Windows 7 is on such a machine, then filtered though some more lightweight Linux distros including MoonOS, LuninuxOS and eventually settled on ElementaryOS for five or six months, until Win 8 Dev preview came out. I've been running the Win 8 Dev with no issues ever since, however last week, following an update (damn, I should have seen this coming) I'm now required to update to a full version of Windows 8. Build quality is typical Asus (built like a tank, hinge feels sturdy, keyboard doesn't depress into the shell), memory can be upgraded to 2GB easily, removable battery (which happily lasts 10+ hours - the battery life on this thing is amazing). Wifi antennae is actually surprisingly receptive for this size of a machine. The screen is nothing spectacular, and because its resolution is a mere 1200x600, you can't run the funky Windows 8 metro apps, though this isn't an issue for me, it may be for you. Video playback is buttery smooth (mostly because of the dismal resolution) and the chiclet keyboard is actually really usable. Hope this helps, I know the current options are very tight compared with a few months ago, however if you can find one of these beauties, I wouldn't be surprised if they would cost you any more than $280 - $300 now.

I was actually thinking about an Asus Eee PC. I already have a G75vw, but it's way too big to use on the tiny desks in class.

I went for the Asus S200E and it's perfect!

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently typing this from an ASUS X501a (a 14 inch model, the X401, is also available), and it is quite good. They can be had for around 300 bucks with a Pentium and crap-tastic WD blue HDD (I put in an Agility 3 from OCZ and it feels like a bona-fide ultrabook!). I personally have the i3 version, but I really never push the CPU beyond 50%. It's very light and thin (no ODD), and the touchpad is one of the best I've ever used. Yes, it is very plasticky, and yes, the screen isn't great, but for 300 bucks, good luck finding anything else this sleek.

[url=https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/X401A/#overview]https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/X401A/#overview[/url=https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/X401A/#overview]

"Townes van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." - Steve Earle

Get a used Lenovo Thinkpad off Ebay or Kijiji, they are last gen but still pretty fast and built like tanks.

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt