Recommend DAC and Amp?

Awesumsawz

I recently invested in my first pair of +$100 headphones (DT 990s) and am looking for an DAC and AMP to put my Xbox one/PC/Apple TV through so I can get more/higher quality sound out of. I'm currently looking at the Schiit Magni 2 and Schiit Modi 2 über (for the optical/USB/coaxial in). Are there any better bang for my buck products? I don't want to spend much more (ideally less than) the ~$250 I am looking at paying now.

Wow. I ordered my 990 Pro's today too. I don't really know the answer to your question, but I'm sure someone does. 

Funny just got some for xmas, you're in for a treat ;)

Sorry OP, im also out of my depth. But have a friendly bump :P 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

ive herd really good things about the O2/Odac. if you have a music store near you look there sometimes you can get really good deals on clearance racks.

Are they not getting loud enough as is? 

the amp will make them louder but it will also be able to drive the lower end better, making it sound more full

the amp will make them louder but it will also be able to drive the lower end better, making it sound more full

If they are getting loud enough as is, buying something else won't change anything, as is the function of an amplifier. 

They're loud enough on my computer, but as for my xbox and apple TV, they're pretty damn quiet.

Wow. I ordered my 990 Pro's today too. I don't really know the answer to your question, but I'm sure someone does. 

They're awesome. I love them. It's so interesting how much you miss with lower quality headphones. I've been listening to jazz of late and it's incredible being able to pick out each instrument and being able to listen to each in detail. I'm very happy with my purchase

They're loud enough on my computer, but as for my xbox and apple TV, they're pretty damn quiet.

FiiO D3 and E6 then. 

If they are getting loud enough as is, buying something else won't change anything, as is the function of an amplifier. 

While normally this is true, low quality amps with high output impedance can negatively affect sound quality.

While normally this is true, low quality amps with high output impedance can negatively affect sound quality.

Many things wrong with this statement. 

In OP's case, with a headphone like the DT990, an amp would have to have a 32Ω output impedance to negatively effect them an any meaningless way. 

Now the next thing, if the headphones are getting loud enough, then they are being driven properly as is and OP shouldn't be wasteful and throw cash at

products he doesn't really need. 

Many things wrong with this statement. 

In OP's case, with a headphone like the DT990, an amp would have to have a 32Ω output impedance to negatively effect them an any meaningless way. 

Now the next thing, if the headphones are getting loud enough, then they are being driven properly as is and OP shouldn't be wasteful and throw cash at

products he doesn't really need. 

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

Read the paragraph titled "The Short Version," and continue reading on if you find the technical details interesting, or wish to know the math behind it.

An alarming number of amps built into consumer electronics have quite high output impedance.  Since the OP never states what the impedance of his cans are (and they come in a few different flavors), I'll assume for now that it's probably the 32 ohm version.  Chances are the outputs on all the devices he's using now are over 4 ohms, which is where a higher quality amp comes in.  If he's using the 250 or 600 ohm version, chances are he'll need an amp for volume anyways.

My advice though is if you don't feel like there's an issue, don't worry about it too much.  The difference is very small for the amount of money you put in.  If, however, you're not getting enough volume or you just want to get the MOST out of your gear, go for something like the O2/ODAC combo or the ~$200 Schiit Stack.

The Modi 2/Magni 2 should be great.  The O2/ODAC combo would also work great, but you don't get an optical input for the ODAC, so keep that in mind.

-GG already read it.

Or a D3 and E6, because its a quarter of the price and will do the same job for his tv/xbox....

Or a D3 and E6, because its a quarter of the price and will do the same job for his tv/xbox....

I'm sure those would work just fine.  I only like to talk about gear I'm familiar with, though.  Haven't used either of those and don't know their specs, so I'm not saying yea or nay.

I'm sure those would work just fine.  I only like to talk about gear I'm familiar with, though.  Haven't used either of those and don't know their specs, so I'm not saying yea or nay.

THD is a bit eh, but it does everything else more then well enough for more then enough people and their headphones. 

THD is a bit eh, but it does everything else more then well enough for more then enough people and their headphones. 

One of the reasons I like promoting the O2/ODAC combo is because you're not going to get much of an improvement unless you spend a fuckton more money, and even then 99% of any of those improvements won't be audible.  It's as high end as you'll ever need in an objective, practical sense.

One of the reasons I like promoting the O2/ODAC combo is because you're not going to get much of an improvement unless you spend a fuckton more money, and even then 99% of any of those improvements won't be audible.  It's as high end as you'll ever need in an objective, practical sense.

Reason why I promote the cheapest quality shit possible is that it sounds the same anyway....

Reason why I promote the cheapest quality shit possible is that it sounds the same anyway....

Like I said, I haven't tried it, so I'm not gonna comment one way or another. 

I'm also a bit of a tinkerer and a DIYer, so I soldered my O2 together for less than the $100 they usually sell for and had some fun doing it.

Oh, and the extra wattage of the O2 is nice for the orthos I'm rocking...

Like I said, I haven't tried it, so I'm not gonna comment one way or another. 

I'm also a bit of a tinkerer and a DIYer, so I soldered my O2 together for less than the $100 they usually sell for and had some fun doing it.

Oh, and the extra wattage of the O2 is nice for the orthos I'm rocking...

I'm not even really an audio guy, but I feel the DIY.

Orthos aren't hard to drive, pretty easy really.