Painting a PSU

Pittman90

Hey guys a friend is giving me his corsair 650d and since it has a window i want my pc to look good. I was wondering if it is possible to safely paint my psu since it is a ugly gray, I want to paint it matte black and i was thinking plasti dip would be a good choise. Will i need to take it apart to paint it mind it is not modular or just tape it up and just paint it. My main reason for this is the window is towards the bottom of the case anyways so i would look at it all the time. If you have any suggestions or any alternatives please let me know. 

It should be fine to just cover up the openings. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hey guys a friend is giving me his corsair 650d and since it has a window i want my pc to look good. I was wondering if it is possible to safely paint my psu since it is a ugly gray, I want to paint it matte black and i was thinking plasti dip would be a good choise. Will i need to take it apart to paint it mind it is not modular or just tape it up and just paint it. My main reason for this is the window is towards the bottom of the case anyways so i would look at it all the time. If you have any suggestions or any alternatives please let me know. 

You can paint it or possibly wrap it with black vinyl which may save some time with all the masking and prevent the possibility of getting paint inside through the honeycomb mesh.

You can paint it or possibly wrap it with black vinyl which may save some time with all the masking and prevent the possibility of getting paint inside through the honeycomb mesh.

Gray psu ? Honeycomb mesh ? I don't think so. Its probably just an opening for the fan at the back . cover that with tape and spray paint the sucker

Gray psu ? Honeycomb mesh ? I don't think so. Its probably just an opening for the fan at the back . cover that with tape and spray paint the sucker

Good point, but they do make what could be call more common atx PSU's with a 120-140mm intake and a mesh opening for exhaust just in plain gray.

Wouldn't the vinyl melt on my psu since it would get pretty hot, but i would only cover the bottom and sides since my fan is facing down

Wouldn't the vinyl melt on my psu since it would get pretty hot, but i would only cover the bottom and sides since my fan is facing down

Unless it gets to very hot temps like >80C it should be fine since the vinyl wrap is designed to be applied to cars that sit in the hot summer sun it shouldn't be a problem as long as the vinyl has a good quality adhesive on it.

yeah i don't think that it gets too hot so it should be fine 

yeah i don't think that it gets too hot so it should be fine 

Why not make a cover for the PSU? you can use plastic or thin aluminum and you can paint it as you wish. Reference a H440.

If you have a generic cheap PSU, it would pry be as good of a time as any to upgrade it anyways. A cheap PSU can take out every other component in your build and really isn't a good thing to cheap out on. You can find Corsair CX430's that are already black for $25 after rebate about every other week.

If you want to paint it, there should be four small screws (often one or two with a sticker covering them) that will separate it into two pieces. One should be a large "U" piece without any components on it and would be extremely easy to paint, and be the majority of what you would see. It would give you the best looks for very little time invested or risk of painting electronics. Honestly, paint shouldn't mess up the electronics, but its always best to be safe.

IMG_20150116_234255610.jpg

IMG_20150116_234406277_HDR.jpg