PC + Macbook Pro = 1 Monitor

mtk

Hey,

all the Youtube videos and reviews are talking about monitors (and other hardware) that have... a single target (mostly gaming, but also video editing).

I have a PC in my bedroom, that is (unfortunately) connected to an old Samsung 24" TV (HDMI), I used (in the past) as my working station but today I manly use it for light gaming (CIV V). I also have a Macbook Pro (MBP) which I use for work (developer) and though I could also play on it, but that's not its purpose.

Since I'm moving my working environment to an office room, where I will have both my PC and my MBP and the TV will stay in the bedroom, I'm looking to buy a single monitor that will fit both needs and can actually be connected to both the PC and the MBP at the same time. Having to manually switch between the displayed image is fine, and Picture in Picture is not a must (but could be nice to have).

My first and obvious consideration was the Apple Thunderbolt Display (27") so I could have a steady LAN connection to my MBP, but now that the PC will also be connected I'm not sure that's the best monitor for the job.

My PC has a Readon HD 7850, so I have both DVI and HDMI.

Are there any recommendations here for a single monitor?

MtK

What would be your max budget?

@mtk

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

What would be your max budget?

@mtk

well, Apple Thunderbolt display is around ~1K € (yes, in the US it's in $), so I would try and stay in that area and preferably less...

well, Apple Thunderbolt display is around ~1K € (yes, in the US it's in $), so I would try and stay in that area and preferably less...

Well I'm a fair dinkum Aussie and here that Apple Thunderbolt Display goes for about $1,200 AUD, about how much the LG 34UM95 21:9 monitor is going for, so naturally most people would probably take the LG because you do get 880 more pixel of resolution horizontally and it's great for productivity, plus it also has picture-in-picture which I know you mentioned as a feature you'd like.

I don't know what the LG is going for over there, you'd have to find out, but it is a very popular monitor. Linus owns one himself. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Well I'm a fair dinkum Aussie and here that Apple Thunderbolt Display goes for about $1,200 AUD, about how much the LG 34UM95 21:9 monitor is going for, so naturally most people would probably take the LG because you do get 880 more pixel of resolution horizontally and it's great for productivity, plus it also has picture-in-picture which I know you mentioned as a feature you'd like.

I don't know what the LG is going for over there, you'd have to find out, but it is a very popular monitor. Linus owns one himself. :)

very nice! thanks...

the price here is ~ 800 EUR here, and although it's not Retina and/or (real) 4K, it does look like a good option.

PiP is a good addition, for those days that I need to work while playing... :P

the only thing I'm concern about would be the lack of ETHERNET connection.

FWIW, I have 2 4k monitors at work and an 34LGUM95 at home and I actually much prefer the 34 inch monitor for single screen use despite it not having as much resolution. The ultrawide monitor is great, really sharp, great colors, tons of I/O.

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018