Suggest A Router.

keoghjacob

I'm in need of a really...really, really stable router solution. One of the #1 things in the PC community that rustles my jimbobs is shit-tier routers that are always causing issues, or failing while in use.

Currently I have a TL-WR941ND, which, when I bought it was actually a pretty high end router. Even it, has encountered errors, dropped packets, caused latencies, and even plain stopped broadcasting.

The router doesn't have to be AC (I'd actually prefer that, as AC is a rather immature standard), it can be N, as long as it's a tried and true router that is truly stable.

CPU Intel i7-4770k Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 RAM

8GB Corsair Vengeance Newegg Red Edition GPU ASUS GTX 770 DirectCUII Case

Cooler Master HAF XB Storage OCZ Agility 4 128GB, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB WD1002FAEX PSU Antec 650w Display(s) Dell s2209wb Cooling Noctua NH-D14

I don't really know what you could buy, however what I can do to help you: Don't buy Netgear. I bought a Netgear n300 and it feels extremely cheap and didn't even work with my MacBook Air. Brought it back to the store.

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

After looking around on Amazon I found this: http://www.amazon.ca/RT-AC66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC1750-Gigabit-Router/dp/B008ABOJKS

Looks like a very good router

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C8-Wireless-1300Mbps/dp/B00N2ROH0C/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420930345&sr=1-3&keywords=archer

One of the best value routers out there. I am surprised your tp-link is acting up. Mine is solid for MONTHS.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

After looking around on Amazon I found this: http://www.amazon.ca/RT-AC66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC1750-Gigabit-Router/dp/B008ABOJKS

Looks like a very good router

It's not really 'acting up'. It's just that WHEN it does every few months...turn off or something., it's greatly annoying if I'm doing something really important.

CPU Intel i7-4770k Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 RAM

8GB Corsair Vengeance Newegg Red Edition GPU ASUS GTX 770 DirectCUII Case

Cooler Master HAF XB Storage OCZ Agility 4 128GB, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB WD1002FAEX PSU Antec 650w Display(s) Dell s2209wb Cooling Noctua NH-D14

Don't buy anything TP-Link. Nothing but garbage software in my experience - that and Tenda.

Get something recent from ASUS.

I had very bad experience with a TP-link wifi adapter, so I don't buy from them. 

Right now I'm using linksys EA4500 at 50/10 without any issue

I've been using a TP-Link Archer C7 for the past couple months and haven't had a single reliability issue, just make sure you upgrade to the latest firmware otherwise AC connections will be capped at 300 Mbps (the normal 2.4 GHz N cap).

Get yourself a mikrotik one, I've seen some if them be online for years without problems

Also so to say none of the commercial brands are good, the two best are mikrotik and ubiquiti

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

I'm having issue with my 2 months old "OPTUS NETGEAR CG3000 2STAUS" Modem. It's a combination of WiFi/ Phone line port modern router.

I upgraded to new Deal from OPTUS, 150Gb Cable Internet & Free home phone monthly deal.

It was too good to be true..

I thought that they will re-connect our old phone line with new number, but no that would be expensive i guess.

They gave us the new NETGEAR CG3000 2Staus Modem Router with a phone line port on it.

My guess is.. cheap or free phone call on line same technology as Skype etc..

So what they say again.. nothings for free hey...So the phone line is not bad, not as clear as the old phone line with the humming noise at the background.

We haven't use it yet apart from answering calls from telemarketing.

So my old Motorola Surfboard Modem and Netgear WPN824 router has to retired due to,"they cant's handle the 150GB data", the technician explained...

And from there we start the ping pong game..................

Drop signal and the rest of it followed... Finally, they are going to replace it with a new one.

So I've decided to do my own "caveman" connection ...

And here are the result..

1. Test my internet signal with hardwire, (ethernet) and its very strong.

2. Recall my old Netgear WPN824 router from retirement and used it as a Wireless Wifi.

a. Connect cable from wall to OPTUS Netgear CG3000 2Staus.

b. Connect Ethernet from Netgear CG3000 2 Staus to my old Netgear WPN824. 

c. Use Old Netgear WPN824 as the new wifi router and it works.

3. Works like a charm.

I will wait until they change my router to a new one. But my best bet is, that it not resolve the Issue with the NETGEASR CG3000 2Staus problem.

So My old Netgear WPN824 proved to be a better wifi unit than the newer model. So the bottom line is. The old equipment was built with a better and expensive component.

The newer one with cheap and plastic component.

...They are all based on the same theory People........

They will ship everything thing to China, India and other 3rd world country to save labour cost

"MORE MONEY IN THEIR POCKET and RUBBISH AND LAND FILL IN OUR BACK YARD and will cost us money to get rid of them too... 

This will crush the Asus one, and it's cheaper: (Does not have AC, but it is insanely stable)

http://www.ispsupplies.com/brands/Wireless-for-Home/MikroTik-RB2011UAS-2HnD-IN.html

We deployed two ubiquiti Access points (not exactly topic realted) which had dd-wrt installed by the retailer, insanely stable around 400 days uptime on them now without a hitch. I know those are no router, but there might be routers with dd-wrt on them out in the wild. If they are anything like our access points they should be great.

We deployed two ubiquiti Access points (not exactly topic realted) which had dd-wrt installed by the retailer, insanely stable around 400 days uptime on them now without a hitch. I know those are no router, but there might be routers with dd-wrt on them out in the wild. If they are anything like our access points they should be great.

Yeah, both ubiquiti and mikrotik is just another world compared to the crappy Asus, dlink, netgear and so on trash...