My 780 is being odd and wont work.

I have a gainward phantom 780 and a kfa referance 780 card.

I had them in sli before on a asus maximus VII Gene and had them working great together but then my psu committed suicide on it self and took my motherboard with it to the grave :(

But i got the mb replaced with a asus maximum VII hero.

When the psu blew i was to inpatient to wait for the new stuff to arive to find out what more parts was broke so i went to my friends home he has a asus maximus VI Gene.

I plugged in one thing at a time to his pc 1st the new psu then the cpu and ram after that i switched his 780 for one of mine and then the other and then both at the same time and everything worked fine.

I then got my motherboard and case today so i plugged everything in to it except the Gainward 780 and it all worked i re installed win8 and installed all drivers it all worked fine.

I then added the second gpu but my pc would not detect it.

So i tried switching them that did not work still would only detect the kfa card then i tried re installing the nvidia drivers still did not detect the Gainward card.

I then pulled out the KFA card and tried it with only the Gainward card still did not detect it.

Put in the KFA it still works fine in both PCIe lanes.

What could be wrong?

I have tried switching the power cables to.

I am probably going to put my card in his pc again see if it still works then if it does i may re install my pc with both cards plugged in see if it has something to do with the drivers.

But if anyone has any input on the matter please do contact me.

Try it in another rig, If it does work there i think it probably is a faulty motherboard, Try to only use the other pci-e slot to see if it works.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

If you tried the cards in your buddy´s rig and they work there... chances are that between this test and putting your rig together you damaged the card. When the other card works fine with all PCIe slots and the other card is not detected at all... smells like the card got damaged. If you still have warranty on it RMA it.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

RMA it

I don't know much about gain ward but what I do know is that theu will RMA it

Well i have had it water cooled and their warranty does not support that =(

I will try and put it back in his rig in a few days and see if it is broken or not.

If you tried the cards in your buddy´s rig and they work there... chances are that between this test and putting your rig together you damaged the card. When the other card works fine with all PCIe slots and the other card is not detected at all... smells like the card got damaged. If you still have warranty on it RMA it.

That is sadly what i believe i may have done but i have water-cooled that card and to do so i had to remove a warranty lost if removed sticker thing.

That is sadly what i believe i may have done but i have water-cooled that card and to do so i had to remove a warranty lost if removed sticker thing.

Well that is really unfortunate :( . If you do water cooling in the future with nVidia cards do yourself a favor and buy EVGA cards. Because even if you kill the card for what reason ever all EVGA requires that you put the standard heatsink back on the card and that it looks original. But you don´t void your warranty by removing the original cooler and replace it with a water cooler when using EVGA. That is one of the reasons why EVGA is so superior to all other GPU brands for Overclockers.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Well that is really unfortunate :( . If you do water cooling in the future with nVidia cards do yourself a favor and buy EVGA cards. Because even if you kill the card for what reason ever all EVGA requires that you put the standard heatsink back on the card and that it looks original. But you don´t void your warranty by removing the original cooler and replace it with a water cooler when using EVGA. That is one of the reasons why EVGA is so superior to all other GPU brands for Overclockers.

Thanks i will remember that for my next purchase you know it is just so difficult to find that kind of information when browsing components.

I think information like that should be a bit more easily obtainable considering how much more popular water cooling have become especially since the all in one coolers that was mountable on graphics cards.

Do you know any other brands that has that as a standard thing on their cards?

Because since i just water cool the cards as soon as possible i always just buy the cheapest one available unless it is like the phantom one which needs a special block and crap=one design and one design only.

Thanks i will remember that for my next purchase you know it is just so difficult to find that kind of information when browsing components.

I think information like that should be a bit more easily obtainable considering how much more popular water cooling have become especially since the all in one coolers that was mountable on graphics cards.

Do you know any other brands that has that as a standard thing on their cards?

Because since i just water cool the cards as soon as possible i always just buy the cheapest one available unless it is like the phantom one which needs a special block and crap=one design and one design only.

Some companies like Gigabyte may give you warranty if you can explain your case but that´s not in their company policies, and they will decide from case to case individually. EVGA has the best customer service and the best warranty policy known for nVidia cards. EVGA is nVidia exclusive board partner and holds with Kingpin one of the best overclockers in the world. That´s why the release cards like the Classified and Kingpin edition. These cards are made for extreme OCing. Not so much to buy for the average Joe just game on them. They are made for LN2, water or phase change cooling.

I like Gigabyte as well, good customer service and minimal DOA products (my GTX980s are Gigabyte reference design actually). But when it comes to GPUs and PSUs EVGA is really a superior brand.