Xeon or i5 processor in 250 dollar range

Go to solution Solved by skullbringer,

Well, basically a Xeon with hyperthreading is a slightly lower clocked i7. So basically you get a non-oc-able i7 for the price of an i5. I would suggest the Xeon E3-1230v2 for your socket 1155 mb. I have one running in my editing rig and especially for multy-tasking it is really really good. Considering that upcoming "next-gen" games will have support for more than 8 cored, I would definitely suggest going with the Xeon over the i5.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117286

Okay so im still not sure what processor to by for my 1155 socket mobo, i was thinking either xeon or i5 like the title states but i wasnt sure which. i know that ghz dont matter but i wasnt sure if hyper threading would help with preformance, because i know many games dont take advantage of like quad or six core cpus. my theory is that the more hyper threading the quicker it is. the ghz is the same of the xeon i was looking at compared to the i5 i was going to buy which was a 3570k. i know that xeon doesnt have on board graphics like the i5 does but that is why i was going to buy a 660ti any way. But looking for some thoughts, ideas, or suggestions thank you  :)

Xeons are normally used on server builds or anything like that the Xeons can not be overclocked either so the i5 has that advantage go for the i5 and overclock it.

Well, basically a Xeon with hyperthreading is a slightly lower clocked i7. So basically you get a non-oc-able i7 for the price of an i5. I would suggest the Xeon E3-1230v2 for your socket 1155 mb. I have one running in my editing rig and especially for multy-tasking it is really really good. Considering that upcoming "next-gen" games will have support for more than 8 cored, I would definitely suggest going with the Xeon over the i5.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117286

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Did you buy your motherboard yet? If yes, get a 3570k if you have a z77 board and a xeon e3 1230 v2 if you have anything else.

If no, just know that the xeon + b75/h77 is a bit cheaper than the 3570k + z77 board and is generally better.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just to clear up something, the CPU frequency (in GHz) does matter; higher frequency will mean greater performance provided that everything else is the same.  Same number of cores, same hyperthreading capability, same family (2nd Gen i5, 3rd Gen i5, etc.).  The frequency is meaningless if you are comparing for example an Intel and an AMD CPU, or two CPUs from different generations.  For that, you will have to look at benchmarks.

Most games will benefit from a quad-core.  Some games (and probably more in the near future) are seeing benefit from 6 cores now.

Just to clear up something, the CPU frequency (in GHz) does matter; higher frequency will mean greater performance provided that everything else is the same.  Same number of cores, same hyperthreading capability, same family (2nd Gen i5, 3rd Gen i5, etc.).  The frequency is meaningless if you are comparing for example an Intel and an AMD CPU, or two CPUs from different generations.  For that, you will have to look at benchmarks.

Most games will benefit from a quad-core.  Some games (and probably more in the near future) are seeing benefit from 6 cores now.

thank you for clearing that up