Thermal compound

So just out of curiosity , how often should i replace the thermal compound on my cpu and gpu ? as of recently ive noticed my cpu is getting a fair amount hotter then it was a while ago under load and at idle. 

and on a side not whats your personal preference for thermal compound ?

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

sounds like a good idea. I think Linus' favourite is IC Diamond, however I used Noctua NT-H1

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

... how long has it been since you replaced it? I prefer arctic silver 5.

... how long has it been since you replaced it? I prefer arctic silver 5.

dont remember to be honest lol , ive got some ceramique 2 ,stars 700 , and the coolermaster crap that the cooler came with just layin around. not sure if i wana use any of em or just get new stuff lol

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

I've used Cooler Master's compound that comes with the 212 evo, NT-H1, and IC Diamond. I kinda like Noctua's. 

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

I use CM compound, it's fine for me

all i got layin around lol , well here goes for ceramique 2 then , cuz why the heck not lol. oh and is there anything else besides isopropal alcohol i could use to clean off the cpu ?

post-121932-0-72892400-1420600074_thumb.

Spoiler
Spoiler

So just out of curiosity , how often should i replace the thermal compound on my cpu and gpu ? as of recently ive noticed my cpu is getting a fair amount hotter then it was a while ago under load and at idle. 

and on a side not whats your personal preference for thermal compound ?

Don't mess with it unless temperatures are a problem. 

I bought some Gelid GC-Extreme and this is a fantastic TIM, but it is on the more expensive side, and you can definitely find something that performs just as well for less.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Don't mess with it unless temperatures are a problem. 

I bought some Gelid GC-Extreme and this is a fantastic TIM, but it is on the more expensive side, and you can definitely find something that performs just as well for less.

temps are beginign to be a problem , i hit thermal throttling the other day. and under a decent load it was peaking at 85c , way too high for my taste

Spoiler
Spoiler

temps are beginign to be a problem , i hit thermal throttling the other day. and under a decent load it was peaking at 85c , way too high for my taste

Try changing the TIM, see if that makes a difference.

What application are you running to see those kind of temps?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Folding at home , Adobe , stuff like that. And stress tests (not all at once obviously lololol)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Folding at home , Adobe , stuff like that. And stress tests (not all at once obviously lololol)

Ahh ok, well no wonder.  Those are fairly strenuous tasks, and will increase temps.

If this is new, I would try and dust the case out, make sure your pump for your CPU cooler is at 100%, and the fan for the cooler is at 50% or higher.

Ahh ok, well no wonder. Those are fairly strenuous tasks, and will increase temps.

If this is new, I would try and dust the case out, make sure your pump for your CPU cooler is at 100%, and the fan for the cooler is at 50% or higher.

it's on top of my desk and is in a dust free area and cleaned out once a month roughly , cpu pump is at 100%. And the rad gets cold air.

Spoiler
Spoiler