Samsung's best LCD TV brings a full array of nanocrystal LEDs

Maxi-47u

SUHD -- the S doesn't stand for anything, according to Samsung, but the UHD is longhand for 4K -- is Samsung's branding for what it claims is its best LCD picture quality yet. More than one company representative told me that, despite being based on LCD, the JS9500 SUHD TV rivals the picture of OLED, the best TV technology ever. The models I saw in person did look very good for LCD, but I'll have to wait until I get them into the lab next to an OLED TV to know for sure.

Samsung has announced three series of high-end SUHD LCD TVs for 2015, consisting of nine total models, and the JS9500 will be the most expensive (although pricing has yet to be revealed). Its main step-up over the other two series, JS9000 and JS8500, is a full-array local-dimming backlight with "hundreds" of zones (Samsung wouldn't specify exactly how many), which should deliver brighter highlights and deeper black levels than the edge-lit backlights found on the other two. The JS9500 comes in just two big sizes, 88 inches and 65 inches, and both have curved screens.

samsung-suhd-ces-2015-003.jpgThe 88-inch SUHD TV revealed at CES 2015.Sarah Tew/CNET

So what makes them "S"? In two confusing words: quantum dots. The dots themselves are actually nanocrystals -- really, really small crystals -- applied to the blue LEDs that comprise the backlights of these LCD TVs. They emit specific wavelengths of red and green which, combined with the blue LEDs, can achieve brighter images and a wider color gamut than conventional LED backlight technology.

Samsung says its SUHD sets achieve up to 1,000 nits in light output, compared with 300-500 for a typical LED LCD TV. It also says their color approaches, but doesn't quite achieve 100 percent coverage of, the DCI color space, which is significantly wider than the Rec 709 color space used for almost all in-home content today (in other words, the wider gamut isn't of much use today, despite Samsung mentioning one-off collaborations with Fox in its press materials). Beyond the dots, SUHD TVs also employ a new panel technology designed to further improve contrast in bright rooms.

original artical by cnet:

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-un65js9500/

UHD and 4k are not the same thing.. :/

Cool to see new tech being developed to improve what we already have. I'd like to see one of these in person.

UHD and 4k are not the same thing.. :/

Yes thank you! Atleast someone realizes this.

nanocrystals?

im sold!!

I dont even care what they are... I just want to tell people it has nanocrystals.... does it have lasers too? I think it should have lasers

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yes thank you! Atleast someone realizes this.

I admit I've made the mistake before when it gained popularity but I was immediately corrected and now try to spread the word because it's irritating how many people make this mistake.

yes it is.

UHD is either 3840 x 2160 or 7680 x 4320. 4K is 4096 x 2160.

Riddle me why.

UHD is either 3840 x 2160 or 7680 x 4320. 4K is 4096 x 2160.

because the DCI and the consumer electornics industry are two different things.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

because the DCI and the consumer electornics industry are two different things.

You cannot say it is 4k when it's UHD, does not matter the details.

You cannot say it is 4k when it's UHD, does not matter the details.

UHD doesn't refer to one single resolution ... just an umbrella term.

It's a 16x9 aspect ratio of 1080p scaled. Not a movie resolution.

The point is that 4K isn't 3840 x 2160.

4K isn't a movie resolution either.

DCI 4K (4096x2160) is the defined resolution for equipment to be DCI compliant ...

You will never see a movie in DCI 4K ...

The point is that 4K isn't 3840 x 2160.

because 3840 doesn't exceed 4000 pixels?

4096 does exceed 4000 pixels, but so does 7680.

Is 7680 a 4K resolution?

I learnt that UHD isn't actually just that. A resolution is UHD if it's 3840 x 2160 or more, with an aspect ratio of 16:9 or wider.

because 3840 doesn't exceed 4000 pixels?

4096 does exceed 4000 pixels, but so does 7680.

Is 7680 a 4K resolution?

What? The resolution 4K is 4096 x 2160, 4x times as many pixels as 2K. Both 3840 x 2160 and 4096 x 2160 are Ultra HD. The OP referred the TV's resolution as 4K, when it's clearly a different resolution than what it actually has.

And 3860x2160 is not 4K, but it is UHD, and it really is 2160p :/ Damn, they should get their shit together and not name anything as they like.

You those names come from consumer electronics companies and if they decide that they want to call tvs with 3840x2160 from now on 6K TVs, then they are called 6K TVs.

Nobody in consumer electronics (neither companies nor costumers) cares for the naming schemes in digital cinema.