How would you handle this high-school scenario?

Aleks

I am in the last year of high school. With a good idea of what I want to continue studying after high-school I have my required classes that I have to meet certain grades in. The requirements are not that difficult but I am not always the most motivated when it comes to learning about stuff I am not interested in. Basically, I have physics 12, math 12, English 12, and chem 11 that I have to meet certain grades in. I have about two other classes that don't effect my chances of admission but obviously affect my GPA which really isn't very good to begin with.

These other classes are stressing me out, and honestly I just want to be able to focus on the classes that matter for what I want to do. If any of you were put in this situation, would you try as hard equally across all classes and potentially have your grades in the more important ones drop, or would you focus most of your time and work on the classes that mean a lot more i.e: physics, math, etc, and go for a pass in the classes that don't matter and that could potentially hold you back from success in the more important areas.

Sorry for the long post but I thought there could be some people here who have gone through the same issues, I am not the best when it comes to school but when I put my mind to it I can achieve a good grade. I just don't want the pressure of these others classes to get tin the way and potentially screw it up for me. Any h advice with this is much appreciated! Thanks!

Put all you got towards everything so long as it affects your future. Once you're done with high school, don't waste time on things you do not care about. 

For me, I find the things I care about to be easier, so I can study less in them and still do well. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

In High School, just try to excel in all classes. They're not overly hard, really. Granted that's different from person to person as well as teacher to teacher, but compared to college they're relatively easy. You might not enjoy them, but at least put in the effort to get a good grade and keep your GPA up.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

>chemistry 11 in 12th grade

ishygddt

honors, at least?

What? I originally took bio in grade 11 as oppose to chem so when I found out I need chemistry my only option was taking it in grade 12. There is AP chemistry 11 but it isn't a requirement and honestly feel I would be m,ore successful taking regular chem 11.

In High School, just try to excel in all classes. They're not overly hard, really. Granted that's different from person to person as well as teacher to teacher, but compared to college they're relatively easy. You might not enjoy them, but at least put in the effort to get a good grade and keep your GPA up.

Thanks for the good advice, I am still without a doubt going to try my best to get good grades. Academically I am not as smart as others but I know what I love to do and I don't plan to put in anything but my all to achieve it. It can just be dis-concerning when I get back a bad grade on a test for a class that in the long run won't affect my career out of school. Just makes me want to forget about the class and focus on what I feel really matters. Once again, thank you.

What are the "other" courses? 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

What are the "other" courses? 

Okay well, the program I want to go into after high school is a Electrical and Computer Engineering program. It requires the classes above (physics 12, chem 11, and pre-calculas 12). The other classes. Comparitive Civilizations 12(It is a social studies, learning about mesopotamia), and a peer tutoring class which doesn't start till second semester. I really love history but honestly the program just ruins it for me, I don't like the teaching style and my teacher is just not a friendly person. Overall I am not doing so hot in the class. between a 60%-70%(passing mark is 50%). Ideally I would like to stay where I am at in the class as finals are coming up and I feel like it would benefit me more to put my all in my physics classes(which I am doing better in). Would you agree? Or am I looking at it the wrong way. Thanks for your time :)

Okay well, the program I want to go into after high school is a Electrical and Computer Engineering program. It requires the classes above (physics 12, chem 11, and pre-calculas 12). The other classes. Comparitive Civilizations 12(It is a social studies, learning about mesopotamia), and a peer tutoring class which doesn't start till second semester. I really love history but honestly the program just ruins it for me, I don't like the teaching style and my teacher is just not a friendly person. Overall I am not doing so hot in the class. between a 60%-70%(passing mark is 50%). Ideally I would like to stay where I am at in the class as finals are coming up and I feel like it would benefit me more to put my all in my physics classes(which I am doing better in). Would you agree? Or am I looking at it the wrong way. Thanks for your time :)

Well Im in my final year :)  And well I would push through it trying your best but not taking away from your core marks. I go to a school where I can choose to work on whatever course I am enrolled in for most of week with the exception of mandatory classes for each subject, this some people at my school into a lot of trouble over this exact scenario. If Im not mistaken at least Canadian Universities look at the marks in the "required" course section and don't care about the average mark of other stuff. Not sure if your American, Canadian or other but if you "Somewhere close to Linus" I assume Canadian. Maybe Im wrong about location and the Unis and perhaps they would look at it but I can't them see picking an engineering student because they got a 65% in history but a 86% in math and physics. Unless competition is really stiff.  

I took French 12 last year in my G11 and well I really didn't try too hard and got a semi okay mark, but I was also doing math. English and an elective (drafting) French got put aside for math and English.... OH yeah and my teachers decided to leave two week early cause strike, barely got final marks.... 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Well Im in my final year :)  And well I would push through it trying your best but not taking away from your core marks. I go to a school where I can choose to work on whatever course I am enrolled in for most of week with the exception of mandatory classes for each subject, this some people at my school into a lot of trouble over this exact scenario. If Im not mistaken at least Canadian Universities look at the marks in the "required" course section and don't care about the average mark of other stuff. Not sure if your American, Canadian or other but if you "Somewhere close to Linus" I assume Canadian. Maybe Im wrong about location and the Unis and perhaps they would look at it but I can't them see picking an engineering student because they got a 65% in history but a 86% in math and physics. Unless competition is really stiff.  

I took French 12 last year in my G11 and well I really didn't try too hard and got a semi okay mark, but I was also doing math. English and an elective (drafting) French got put aside for math and English.... OH yeah and my teachers decided to leave two week early cause strike, barely got final marks.... 

Haha, thanks for the advice man! Yes I am Canadian(Vancouver). I suppose I will continue to try and get a good grade in all of my classes but at the same time make sure I am succeeding in my core classes. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the good advice, I am still without a doubt going to try my best to get good grades. Academically I am not as smart as others but I know what I love to do and I don't plan to put in anything but my all to achieve it. It can just be dis-concerning when I get back a bad grade on a test for a class that in the long run won't affect my career out of school. Just makes me want to forget about the class and focus on what I feel really matters. Once again, thank you.

That, right there, I think is probably your biggest obstacle my friend. You're just as smart as the others. It's all about putting in the work until you get it. Anyone can learn anything, just keep working at it and it'll come. Don't be afraid to ask others for help.

All classes matter to one extent or another. While it might be a bit different when applying for jobs (I don't know how thoroughly what you want to get into will look into your academics), but putting your all into everything shows more than just what you know. It shows drive. There are aspects that you won't want to do in any job, and putting up a really half assed effort isn't a good showing. I know when I hire someone, I want them to try even if they hate the task; because there will be things they don't want to do, but have to get done.

Also don't fixate on only one thing. Things definitely change as you get older, and so will what you find interesting. Make sure you diversify what you study so that you aren't type cast to only one career choice. I've had quite a few friends go to school for 4, 7, even 10 years, only to discover that when they were finished, they had no desire to do what they had put all that time into.

I know now, being young you don't think it'll happen to you. But it will.

Just some things to think about.

You're smart. Clearly you can ask for help if you're posting on here. You'll do just fine.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

That, right there, I think is probably your biggest obstacle my friend. You're just as smart as the others. It's all about putting in the work until you get it. Anyone can learn anything, just keep working at it and it'll come. Don't be afraid to ask others for help.

All classes matter to one extent or another. While it might be a bit different when applying for jobs (I don't know how thoroughly what you want to get into will look into your academics), but putting your all into everything shows more than just what you know. It shows drive. There are aspects that you won't want to do in any job, and putting up a really half assed effort isn't a good showing. I know when I hire someone, I want them to try even if they hate the task; because there will be things they don't want to do, but have to get done.

Also don't fixate on only one thing. Things definitely change as you get older, and so will what you find interesting. Make sure you diversify what you study so that you aren't type cast to only one career choice. I've had quite a few friends go to school for 4, 7, even 10 years, only to discover that when they were finished, they had no desire to do what they had put all that time into.

I know now, being young you don't think it'll happen to you. But it will.

Just some things to think about.

You're smart. Clearly you can ask for help if you're posting on here. You'll do just fine.

Thank you for the kind and motivating words man. I appreciate hearing that from someone who clearly knows what they are talking about. I really am going to try my hard across the board. I know what is important I just need to prioritize my time more wisely and find the motivation I think I have found here. Again, thank you. Your words mean a lot. 

Thank you for the kind and motivating words man. I appreciate hearing that from someone who clearly knows what they are talking about. I really am going to try my hard across the board. I know what is important I just need to prioritize my time more wisely and find the motivation I think I have found here. Again, thank you. Your words mean a lot. 

No problem. Stressing out about stuff is one of the worst things you can do, as it'll affect all aspects of what you're doing. Just take it slow, conquer one thing at a time, and remain calm. That'll be the best way to get through it all.

One of my friends fiancees is just finishing up her Masters, and she was suuuuper stressed out over all of the really little things she had to learn. It took us loads of time, but we finally (sort of) convinced her that learning the main aspects are the most important, and the little things are all but useless; out in the real world, they will train you the way they want you to operate. Every company and organization is different and has their own way of doing things.

Might help a bit for you as well; don't worry about the little intricacies, just go for the big picture. 

And most importantly.

Relax.

If someone says keep calm and chive on I swear to god...

I know exactly what you mean though I have the hardest time focusing on things I don't give two fucks about. Perhaps try and find some other motivation? Beating a friends test or project score? That always made it more entertaining for me, at least.

Or trumping the "smart people" in class with minimal work. Their reaction of me getting the same mark for doing 15% of the work they did is was always priceless.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler