speaker setup recommendation

Go to solution Solved by kuhchuk,

So would you guys also conclude that the setup I'm after is good enough to use in a bedroom setting? it will be good enough for a nice home theater experience?

I'm using a PSW10 for my bedroom setup alongside some Technical Pro speakers being fed from my ODAC, so all in all, it'd be a relatively similar setup to mine.  No idea about the speakers, but I can definitely vouch for the other components.  The sub is more than adequate and I actually have to dial it down quite a ways or else it ends up rattling my windows :P

You mean the FiiO D03k right? 

Would be great, more or less jealous if you go from with it. 

No, I meant the ODAC or the Schiit Magni 2 :P  I'm sure the FiiO would work just fine, though.

okay so I'm not sure if what I'm thinking about this is totally sensible, but here it goes.

I'm planning on building a home theater system for my bedroom, while buying everything piece by piece. and I'll connect them all to my PC, so it would serve a purpose for gaming, pleasant movie/series watching, and music (probably greatest to least in that order).

the very first things I'm planning to buy are some Swans D1080, which are about $200 here in the Philippines. if there are other better choices out there that are in the same price range or cheaper, I'm willing to listen.

then next I think I'm gonna buy a subwoofer, although I don't know what I'll get yet, but I'm guessing I'll be willing to spend another $200 for them so please give some recommendations.

and last I'm gonna get a nice DAC or DAC/AMP combination (I'm still confused when checking out items for sale), although I might get these first before the subwoofers but I don't know yet.

so I'm asking if this setup makes sense (like is this optimal, or is there a different setup I can make that would be more optimal, especially since this is a bedroom setup, and not a normal couch to tv home theater), and if so what would be the best choices for the subwoofer, DAC, and speakers? if not then I'm automatically asking for a better recommendation for the purpose that I plan on.

my plan B is to just buy some Swan M10s, if my original plan is an overkill for a bedroom setup.

also I would like to add that I am in no way an audiophile... for now.

Swan's are nice, pair nicely with a PSW10. And you don't need a amp/dac solution for active monitors and subs, they have their own amp. 

Not too sure about speakers in that price range, but for a bedroom setup, a PSW10 will be more than enough.  Unless your pc's sound card isn't living up to your standards, you really don't NEED a DAC, but if you must have one, I'd recommend checking out either an ODAC or a Schiit Modi 2 (you don't need to get the Uber version, it won't be that much of an upgrade).  Both will run you about 100 USD new, but I'm sure you can find the ODAC or the original Schiit Modi selling for cheaper used.

Swan's are nice, pair nicely with a PSW10. And you don't need a amp/dac solution for active monitors and subs, they have their own amp. 

Not too sure about speakers in that price range, but for a bedroom setup, a PSW10 will be more than enough.  Unless your pc's sound card isn't living up to your standards, you really don't NEED a DAC, but if you must have one, I'd recommend checking out either an ODAC or a Schiit Modi 2 (you don't need to get the Uber version, it won't be that much of an upgrade).  Both will run you about 100 USD new, but I'm sure you can find the ODAC or the original Schiit Modi selling for cheaper used.

So would you guys also conclude that the setup I'm after is good enough to use in a bedroom setting? it will be good enough for a nice home theater experience?

Not too sure about speakers in that price range, but for a bedroom setup, a PSW10 will be more than enough.  Unless your pc's sound card isn't living up to your standards, you really don't NEED a DAC, but if you must have one, I'd recommend checking out either an D03k or a FiiO D03k (you don't need to get the Uber version, it won't be that much of an upgrade).  Both will run you about 25USD new, but I'm sure you can find the D03k or the original FiiO D03k selling for cheaper used.

I'm using a PSW10 for my bedroom setup alongside some Technical Pro speakers being fed from my ODAC, so all in all, it'd be a relatively similar setup to mine.  No idea about the speakers, but I can definitely vouch for the other components.  The sub is more than adequate and I actually have to dial it down quite a ways or else it ends up rattling my windows :P

No, I meant the ODAC or the Schiit Magni 2 :P  I'm sure the FiiO would work just fine, though.

No, I meant the D03k or the FiiO D03k  :P  I'm sure the FiiO would work just fine, though.

Does the same job just as well for a quarter of the price, why would you ever get anything else? 

Does the same job just as well for a quarter of the price, why would you ever get anything else? 

Because not all motherboards have optical or toslink outputs, and having a single usb input for power and data is pretty handy ;)

burning money is illegal

And this non-sequiter applies how?  It'd "burn" more money to replace a motherboard (and probably your CPU along with it) just to gain an optical or toslink output, and soundcards aren't the greatest way to "burn" your money either.

And this non-sequiter applies how?  It'd "burn" more money to replace a motherboard (and probably your CPU along with it) just to gain an optical or toslink output, and soundcards aren't the greatest way to "burn" your money either.

A sound card with optical is like $20 if you must go that route but we shouldn't even be saying that until we find out what his motherboard is because most likely it will sound the exact same as getting a dac.

A sound card with optical is like $20 if you must go that route but we shouldn't even be saying that until we find out what his motherboard is because most likely it will sound the exact same as getting a dac.

While that's probably true, he asked for recommendations.  I gave my recommendation, and that's it.

While that's probably true, he asked for recommendations.  I gave my recommendation, and that's it.

okay guys I don't want to get this out of hand (even if I'm probably replying late already), but to get the argument straight, my motherboard is a Asus Z97-A. and I'm not sure which choice from both of you is appropriate for me...

okay guys I don't want to get this out of hand (even if I'm probably replying late already), but to get the argument straight, my motherboard is a Asus Z97-A. and I'm not sure which choice from both of you is appropriate for me...

Save your money. Don't get a dac. 

You probably don't strictly need a DAC, but you've got my recommendations if you have issues with your onboard audio.

You probably don't strictly need a DAC, but you've got my recommendations if you have issues with your onboard audio.

Save your money. Don't get a dac. 

I'll keep these in mind, probably I'll know whether I'll buy a DAC or not when I actually get the speakers that I want :)