1st post and immediately asking a few things ;)

Chess

Hiya!

I subcribed to this forum looking for answers no-one else is capable to give me ( apparently ).

I LOVE efficiency and tinkering with stuff so it is configured just so it does what you ask of it, and just that. Regardless what it is!

So here goes!

1) BIOS options. Seriously, it's full of unexplained abbreviations.

Could anyone... ( Linus? ^^ ) explain what the options are and why manufacturers don't quite explain them in the BIOS?

Actually, a link to an explanation will do just fine, I can learn them for myself.

I mean, why make them available without explanation? Not in the BIOS itself, which is OK, but neither do they explain it in the BIOS section of the manual or PDF's.

You only make things more complicated. ASUS, MSI, both do it and I guess more do.

I can tell you that they're mostly no mainstream options, since I know how to configure a BIOS ( grown up with computers and being 28 doesn't leave me helpless ;) ).

From my MSI ClickBios II ( windows program, not the actual BIOS )

- Phase control ( various components, DDR banks, CPU, even GPU? ). 

- Intel C-state 

- Various standby states ( I believe C1-C3 or S1-S3, I'm not certain ).

2) I have a 7 years old LG L246WP-BN IPS 24" monitor connected over HDMI ( horrendous with nVidia, had to hack the registry so Win7 would recognise it as a monitor and not a TV )

I would like to re-configure this monitor correctly since I think colours are fading over years and I'm having permanently slightly visible blurred sports in my screen.

Again, so many options, which I have admittedly not looked into very much. I don't know much about them, I always used auto config over DVI and later HDMI. 

Would a 'Spider' calibrating tool help, and if so, can I use it for various screens? I have to upgrade this old monitor sometime since the capacitors are decaying ( had to replace 1 already ).

What kind of Spider do I need? I see various options but I don't know what I could use. I like having correct colours but I don't really do more than browsing and games.

I like pretty pictures though ^^

These options I don't understand in the screen's menu:

- ARC ( options Full and 1:1 - I think this is some sort of screen filling options when you use a non-native resolution ? )

- DDC-CI

- CSM, it gives my 6500k and 9300k as colour temperatures, but also sRGB, which I don't recognise. User is self-explanatory.

- EZ-video is an LG only setting I think, perhaps in cooperation with LG software I haven't installed. It's greyed out.

What will be all. Thank you for looking into this!

Hiya!

I subcribed to this forum looking for answers no-one else is capable to give me ( apparently ).

I LOVE efficiency and tinkering with stuff so it is configured just so it does what you ask of it, and just that. Regardless what it is!

So here goes!

1) BIOS options. Seriously, it's full of unexplained abbreviations.

Could anyone... ( Linus? ^^ ) explain what the options are and why manufacturers don't quite explain them in the BIOS?

Actually, a link to an explanation will do just fine, I can learn them for myself.

I mean, why make them available without explanation? Not in the BIOS itself, which is OK, but neither do they explain it in the BIOS section of the manual or PDF's.

You only make things more complicated. ASUS, MSI, both do it and I guess more do.

I can tell you that they're mostly no mainstream options, since I know how to configure a BIOS ( grown up with computers and being 28 doesn't leave me helpless ;) ).

From my MSI ClickBios II ( windows program, not the actual BIOS )

- Phase control ( various components, DDR banks, CPU, even GPU? ). 

- Intel C-state 

- Various standby states ( I believe C1-C3 or S1-S3, I'm not certain ).

2) I have a 7 years old LG L246WP-BN IPS 24" monitor connected over HDMI ( horrendous with nVidia, had to hack the registry so Win7 would recognise it as a monitor and not a TV )

I would like to re-configure this monitor correctly since I think colours are fading over years and I'm having permanently slightly visible blurred sports in my screen.

Again, so many options, which I have admittedly not looked into very much. I don't know much about them, I always used auto config over DVI and later HDMI. 

Would a 'Spider' calibrating tool help, and if so, can I use it for various screens? I have to upgrade this old monitor sometime since the capacitors are decaying ( had to replace 1 already ).

What kind of Spider do I need? I see various options but I don't know what I could use. I like having correct colours but I don't really do more than browsing and games.

I like pretty pictures though ^^

These options I don't understand in the screen's menu:

- ARC ( options Full and 1:1 - I think this is some sort of screen filling options when you use a non-native resolution ? )

- DDC-CI

- CSM, it gives my 6500k and 9300k as colour temperatures, but also sRGB, which I don't recognise. User is self-explanatory.

- EZ-video is an LG only setting I think, perhaps in cooperation with LG software I haven't installed. It's greyed out.

What will be all. Thank you for looking into this!

I will do my best, so bear with me

1) The UEFI/BIOS is an environment that most people in the world don't even know exists, and booting into it in front of such people will look like magic witchcraft hackery to them. As such, most people will never EVER boot into it even though it contains a lot of things that could benefit their system. A lot of the stuff on there is pretty low-level hardware options that people who are particularly experienced when dealing with computers will understand. In a lot of motherboards these days, especially with unlocked chipsets like Z-series motherboards, you get tons and tons of options that are really just there for the sake of being there if someone ever found the need to tweak them around. Most people, even hardcore enthusiasts like us here, will never need to use them. The abbreviations are there to conserve text space, as far as I know (these BIOS systems are only a few megabytes. Detailed explanations likely won't fit) because anyone who actually needs to use them will know exactly what they are, and for those that don't, a quick google search will fix that. Even if you're just overclocking, all you will need is boot priority, fan controllers, multiplier and voltage settings. That's it. A lot of the stuff there is for people who are building workstations and have really complicated system configuration requirements. Unfortunately, most of the options in the BIOS aren't really given as in-depth explanations as I would like (ASRock is one of the worst at this) and each motherboard is different, so if Linus were to appear on this thread, he would tell you that there is no be-all, end-all explanation set for every motherboard. Don't let it bother you much, as those options you listed aren't that important.

2) Honestly, it could be a problem with your graphics card as much as your monitor. I can't say which is more likely. Both can have display output problems. The blurs could be weird artifacts. Monitors and graphics cards start pulling some really strange shit when they're dying.

KemoKa,

Thanks for the explanation so far. I get the BIOS situation so thanks for taking your time to answer my Q :).

As for the screen, I'm certain it is my screen for the following reasons: the blurry spots were there before I upgrades from a GTX 275 to a GTX 780. Also, they're stationary and only really visible when displaying plains ( line in-game blue sky ).

They look like the old CRT burn in.

I'm quite set on buying a Spider, even if it is only useful for my next screen. I'm just not sure if it is worth it for my current one.

Thanks again for taking your time!

For 2,if you're sure it's your monitor, it sounds like the monitor is dying and you have to buy a new one. Monitor repair isn't a thing.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Right, fair enough ( I HAVE already repaired it in the past ;), but I'm sure a dead capacitor is about the only thing you CAN repair in a TFT screen )

Okey, the new Dell 21:9 curved it is ;)