Keyboard and Mouse stop working in Windows 8 Install?

Go to solution Solved by Zach99,

Let me know how it goes.

I figured it out! I had to re-install windows AGAIN and have the keyboard/mouse plugged into the usb 2.0 ports from the very start of the installation. Thanks for your help!!!

Hello,

I am reinstalling windows on a system I built to get rid of some bloatware I got over the year I've had the machine. I wiped my SSD and I am trying to reinstall windows on it. Everything goes perfectly fine until I get to the portion where you give the PC a name and select the color theme. at this point the mouse and keyboard stop working. they work fine up until this point. they work fine on other computers. I am using a razer deathadder 2013 and a strike 7 from madcatz. If it means anything, I am using a CD to install windows and not booting from a thumb drive.

=========

Specs:

PSU: Corsair RM 850w

GPU1: GTX 780

GPU2: GTX 780

CPU: i7 4770k

Motherboard; Gigabyte Z87X-OCForce

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

Zach

Try using a different keyboard/mouse that doesn't require drivers (generic ones) then install the drivers for the keyboard+mouse. 

Yeah, try generic ones if you can. You could also try unplugging and plugging them into a new usb slot once they stop working. The plug n play might work then.

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K @ 4.5GHz  |  Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO  |  Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer

GPU: Asus R9 280X  |  PSU: Corsair HX850  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200rpm  |  CASE: Fractal Design R4 Blackout

Try using a different keyboard/mouse that doesn't require drivers (generic ones) then install the drivers for the keyboard+mouse. 

I tried it with a cheap mouse/keyboard combo that doesn't require drivers and it still did not work. This is a new problem. The first time I installed windows with these exact peripherals there were no issues.

I tried it with a cheap mouse/keyboard combo that doesn't require drivers and it still did not work. This is a new problem. The first time I installed windows with these exact peripherals there were no issues.

Had this issue once. If you have any usb ports on the front of your case, try those. If not, try other ports on the back of your motherboard. Until you get a connection.

If this post helped you, mark it as solved and give it a like - Always like seeing when someones issue has been solved. :)

That's definitely a USB issue. Make sure you have all your motherboard drivers, Windows updates, and BIOS is up to date.

Gotta vouch this one.

If you have a PS/2 keyboard/mouse it should always work during an install too :)

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

Had this issue once. If you have any usb ports on the front of your case, try those. If not, try other ports on the back of your motherboard. Until you get a connection.

I haven't tried the ones on top of the case yet. I'll try those. Thanks!!

I haven't tried the ones on top of the case yet. I'll try those. Thanks!!

Let me know how it goes.

If this post helped you, mark it as solved and give it a like - Always like seeing when someones issue has been solved. :)

Let me know how it goes.

unfortunately it didn't work :(. I remember the first time I had the issue (about 2 weeks prior) I just plugged them into random ports and kept restarting and eventually it worked. This time, however, I tried that for well over an hour and it didn't work. I'm looking at getting a PS/2 keyboard and seeing if that works

That's definitely a USB issue. Make sure you have all your motherboard drivers, Windows updates, and BIOS is up to date.

I haven't updated my BIOS since I first got the motherboard september 2013. Do you think that could be the issue? The mouse and keyboard worked completely fine while in the OS so I don't know if that's it.

Let me know how it goes.

I figured it out! I had to re-install windows AGAIN and have the keyboard/mouse plugged into the usb 2.0 ports from the very start of the installation. Thanks for your help!!!