Fitting CPU water cooler and fans

sykotikman

HI all ,

this is my first time here , and im looking for a bit of advice please ,

and i hope this is the right place to ask , forgive me if it's not :rolleyes:

I'm about to build my first gaming PC , using a MSI z97 mobo, corsair vengance 8gb ram , I5 4670k,  gigabyte 970 G1 and also a enermax liqtech 240, all inside a  aerocool dead silence case , http://www.aerocool.us/ds/ds_black.html

as the case is so small the only option i have is to top mount  the rad , 

the case has a very large 200mm fan on the front and a 120mm on the rear fitterd as standard ,

now the question i have is , which would be the best place to fit the fans that come with the rad , above the rad  or below ,pulling or pushing ?

i have read quite a bit and seen a few vidz , but i just want to make sure , that i have it  the right way ,

my intention is to fit the rad with the fan below "pulling air in "  ,

but as i thinking  about it , wouldn't  that mean that the hot air is coming back into the case and blowing hot air back over the mobo?

i also have two corsair af120 fans laying around, could these be used in anyway to help me ?

Id say mount the fans above the radiator pulling air out. That way you work with convection and it allows for easier cleaning of the radiator by just hoovering it from below. Performance wise push and pull are pretty much equal.

To optimize case pressure, turn the fan in the back around making it an intake. Not you have one 120 and one 200 fan pulling in and two 120 fans pulling out, giving you slightly positive pressure inside the case, making it harder for dust to get inside.

In case the aerocool fans that come with the case are too loud, you could still swap them for the two corsair af's.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Id say mount the fans above the radiator pulling air out. That way you work with convection and it allows for easier cleaning of the radiator by just hoovering it from below. Performance wise push and pull are pretty much equal.

To optimize case pressure, turn the fan in the back around making it an intake. Not you have one 120 and one 200 fan pulling in and two 120 fans pulling out, giving you slightly positive pressure inside the case, making it harder for dust to get inside.

In case the aerocool fans that come with the case are too loud, you could still swap them for the two corsair af's.

Thank you for the advice

didn't think about turning the rear fan around and having two fans coming in and the combo of the rad and 2 fans blowing the air out .

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Have  i done  to the right thing ?

so have built the PC , and all seems to be well , been up and running about 5days now

but i want to make sure that i have done the right thing by changing the fans in the case ,

at first the case had one 120mm>rear  and one 200mm> front  , i have added the rad and changed the fans that came with the rad to the corsair 2x SP 120 ( this was because the fans that came with the rad were very loud  )

these are sat on top of the rad pulling the air out

i took the recommendation and turned the rear around so now it is intake which also been changed to a corsair  AF 140

now , i have changed the front 200mm to , 2x AF 120 pulling the air in ( i have done this because i didn't think there was enough air coming in , ) this was because the heatsink on the chipset was very hot to the touch so i thought more air focused at the chipset would help cool it down a little  

2x120 (front ) and 1x140 (rear)   air intake's 

2x SP 120 exhausting

so giving what i done , have i  set it up correctly ?