FreeNAS Build

BakkesJongeh

FreeNAS Build

Budget: €800 max (without harddrives Western Digital Red's)
Specific Use: Storage Server
Prefered shophttps://www.alternate.nl

I'm planning on building a storage server (4 x 4TB to start), I'm not sure what parts to get exactly.
I already picked the following:

CaseFractal Design Define R5 Black  € 104,90
MotherboardASRock C2750D4I € 364,-
CPU: Intel® Atom™ C2750 (on motherboard)
Storage DeviceSandisk Cruzer 16GB €12,- 
PSU: Seasonic P-520 FL € 145
RAM: 16GB ECC  € ??

€ 627, but didn't pick any RAM sticks yet.
Do you know any better fanless / silent PSU's (modular if possible)?

Thanks for helping :)

FreeNAS Build

Budget: €800 max (without harddrives Western Digital Red's)

Specific Use: Storage Server

Prefered shophttps://www.alternate.nl

I'm planning on building a storage server (4 x 4TB to start), I'm not sure what parts to get exactly.

I already picked the following:

CaseFractal Design Define R5 Black  € 104,90

MotherboardASRock C2750D4I € 364,-

CPU: Intel® Atom™ C2750 (on motherboard)

Storage DeviceSandisk Cruzer 16GB €12,- 

PSU: Seasonic P-520 FL € 145

RAM: 16GB ECC  € ??

€ 627, but didn't pick any RAM sticks yet.

Do you know any better fanless / silent PSU's (modular if possible)?

Thanks for helping :)

so if its ONLY a storage server. i would have gotten a small case that can fit a billion hdd's, a decent fail safe mobo something that is sub $100 nothing less or more. for a storage server even 4 gigs of ram is fine. you can go w/ a smaller wattage psu maybe 450 from seasonics fanless line. you dont need ECC ram since its just for storage and your not putting some ridiculous website or something out of it. basically for a storage server it isnt that important to have components that feel like your going to run a website off of it. get a good mobo w/ alot of sata. if no mobos satisfy your sata usage then you can always get PCI cards w. them for that price of a mobo you can get the asus workstation board that wont fail from 24/7 usage, decent ram kit, and a good psu. you can also get rid of it all and just get a NAS chassis and put your things in there. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

you could save a lot on the psu and go with a 50 dollar corsair one, unless you want the efficiency

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

so if its ONLY a storage server. i would have gotten a small case that can fit a billion hdd's, a decent fail safe mobo something that is sub $100 nothing less or more. for a storage server even 4 gigs of ram is fine. you can go w/ a smaller wattage psu maybe 450 from seasonics fanless line. you dont need ECC ram since its just for storage and your not putting some ridiculous website or something out of it. basically for a storage server it isnt that important to have components that feel like your going to run a website off of it. get a good mobo w/ alot of sata. if no mobos satisfy your sata usage then you can always get PCI cards w. them for that price of a mobo you can get the asus workstation board that wont fail from 24/7 usage, decent ram kit, and a good psu. you can also get rid of it all and just get a NAS chassis and put your things in there. 

The main use will be storage, however I want to be able to use it for more when needed. (ftp backup for websites, plexmediaserver, small gameservers, etc)

I went with the Fractal R5 because its silent and ofcourse the 8 x 3,5 inch slots for when I want to add some drives.

The Fractal Design Node 804 seems it will do but I'm not sure if it will be as silent.

For the RAM I was thinking about Kingston ValueRAM 8 GB ECC DDR3-1600 but if ECC isn't needed for this build then maybe Kingston ValueRAM 8 GB DDR3-1600 ?

you could save a lot on the psu and go with a 50 dollar corsair one, unless you want the efficiency

I went for the Seasonic PSU because it doesn't have a fan and will be silent. I couldn't find any corsair ones without a fan.

The main use will be storage, however I want to be able to use it for more when needed. (ftp backup for websites, plexmediaserver, small gameservers, etc)

I went with the Fractal R5 because its silent and ofcourse the 8 x 3,5 inch slots for when I want to add some drives.

The Fractal Design Node 804 seems it will do but I'm not sure if it will be as silent.

For the RAM I was thinking about Kingston ValueRAM 8 GB ECC DDR3-1600 but if ECC isn't needed for this build then maybe Kingston ValueRAM 8 GB DDR3-1600 ?

I went for the Seasonic PSU because it doesn't have a fan and will be silent. I couldn't find any corsair ones without a fan.

if you can find cheap ECC memory comparable to normal ddr3 then go for it. i have the define R4 which has better dampening foam on the mojivents and its not going to help in your case. the amount of hdd's it can hold is phenomenal but make sure that if your going to put a gpu in there it has enough clearance.  since its going to be for something more than just backup then i really do recommend the work station board or a really nice server mobo. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

If you plan to run ZFS, then you should definitely use ECC RAM.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

If you plan to run ZFS, then you should definitely use ECC RAM.

Why is it important to use ECC RAM with ZFS?