Is the performance benefit of Raid 0 worth the risk?

kev507

Speed is important to me, I enjoy having a decent video card for high settings but honestly a fast boot time and buttery smooth program launching is even better. I recently used a computer with 4 Kingston 3K 240GB SSD's in RAID 0 and it blew me away, so my question is, with the supposed increase in reliability of modern SSD's (ie: samsung 850 series) do you think a significant speed boost is worth the increase risk of data loss, since the perceived risk of data loss seems to be going down?

IMO Yes. The drives wont fail frequentely anyway.

If you store important data on the raid 0 array, then backup the files once in a while to a hdd.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

Speed is very important to me, I enjoy having a decent video card for high settings but honestly a fast boot time and buttery smooth program launching is even better. I recently used a computer with 4 Kingston 3K 240GB SSD's in RAID 0 and it blew me away, so my question is, with the supposed increase in reliability of modern SSD's (ie: samsung 850 series) do you think a significant speed boost is worth the increase risk of data loss, since the perceived risk of data loss seems to be going down?

Don't even bother, you're not going to see a difference at all. 

I wish I had not done it, just buy one large SSD. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I don't think it's the drives that aren't reliable that causes failure etc, it's the controllers not being designed to handle 2x+ the read/write speeds that they're designed for.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

If you can afford to have you data backed up properly but run raid 0, yes its worth it

but do not run raid 0 drives if they are not correctly backed up

THAT said one really good SSD in a powerful PC is still really fast, heck even just 2 drives in raid 0 is enough I think 4 is overkill, I reckon get 2x 512gb ssds and get a cheap 1tb hard drive to keep a copy on

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Speed is important to me, I enjoy having a decent video card for high settings but honestly a fast boot time and buttery smooth program launching is even better. I recently used a computer with 4 Kingston 3K 240GB SSD's in RAID 0 and it blew me away, so my question is, with the supposed increase in reliability of modern SSD's (ie: samsung 850 series) do you think a significant speed boost is worth the increase risk of data loss, since the perceived risk of data loss seems to be going down?

Yes, just keep the sensitive data on another drive. SSDs are super reliable.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

If you can afford to have you data backed up properly but run raid 0, yes its worth it

but do not run raid 0 drives if they are not correctly backed up

definitely agree with this, I have crashplan backup software and a wd my cloud, so I normally have 3 copies of any important data

definitely agree with this, I have crashplan backup software and a wd my cloud, so I normally have 3 copies of any important data

yes 3 copies is absolutely the best method I like to have the data, a physical copy and a cloud copy at all times

my server runs raid 10 too

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

As long as you don't do it the way Linus does it (8 refurbed SSDs in RAID 0) then you're fine. Any critical data should have a backup anyway.

I don't think it's the drives that aren't reliable that causes failure etc, it's the controllers not being designed to handle 2x+ the read/write speeds that they're designed for.

The drives will still be read from and written to at the same speeds per drive as they are designed. It's the SATA controller on the mobo that's running at 2x, which on modern chipsets is perfectly able to handle two SSDs.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Not worth it at all. Especially with Samsungs. Those dazzling speeds are just benchmarking numbers. The RW performance is no better than a good drive which the 850 certainly is. The 850 is already maxing out the Sata bus as it is. You *can't* feed it any more data.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

The drives will still be read from and written to at the same speeds per drive as they are designed. It's the SATA controller on the mobo that's running at 2x, which on modern chipsets is perfectly able to handle two SSDs.

It's weird see'ing a girl know about computers. 

Professional Graphics Designer | Case: NZXT Phantom Orange and Black | Motherboard: MSI SLI PLUS X99S

CPU: Intel i7 5820K | Graphics Card: Zotac nVidia 1080 AMP!

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Western Digital Black 3TB & Western Digital Red 3TB | 

Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU 27", Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27" and BenQ GL240 24" | PSU: Corsair AX860i |

And RAID is super mature, stable, and solid, that's why almost all mobo vendor's include it as default, be it RAID 0, RAID 1, etc. Back in the day you had to pay extra for it because it was costly and well a benefit they were or wanted to charge you for, the chipsets have it included now due to the advances in tech and its included by almost default now.

Of course if you're the type to pull the power plug from your computer as a joke then RAID is not for you. If you shutdown properly and safely as most computer users do you'll be fine, if you don't you'll also screw up a non-RAID drive, eventually.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

For me, personally the "risk" is not the reason, why I don't use RAID0 in my rig(s) anymore.

What most people, who bring up that argument, say "Oh if your boot drive is actually a RAID0 with 2 drives, if only one of them fails, the whole system is gone. Which is true. But is it any better, if you have only a single boot drive and have that one fail? No. In both cases you're screwed - unless you have a backup. So, doing backups regularly is nothing that should only be recommended to RAID0 users.

While yes, statistically the risk of having a drive fail actually is higher with two drives, for me that risk is not a valid argument (especially not a boot / application / game drive) - for data storage, that's a whole different story.

So why don't I use it, if I'm not afraid of the risk? Simple. IMO it's not worth the hassle. Making sure BIOS is set to RAID mode, having the RAID controller initialize at boot (which can make booting take longer than with single disk), and the overall limited real world use: on small files, you won't really notice much of a difference outside of benchmarks. Access times don't improve much (if at all) and if a 100kB file takes 0.0002s (at 500MB/s*) or 0.0001s (at 1000MB/s*) to be transferred (* I know files that small will not get max transfers rates, but feel free to take out two orders of magnitude)... handling large files / larger amounts of data, of course there will be performance benefits. But how often do you load several GBs into your RAM? (and how often does it really make a difference to you, whether that takes 5s or 10s)? And as soon as you are copying data from or to somewhere else (a local HDD or a NAS/server for example), you will be limited by that other connection - so no gain over a single SSD at all any more. For me it's just not worth it. But of course YMMV.

So yes, if you want to squeeze out every last ounce of speed, go for RAID0, as it really does perform better. Will it perform so much better than a good single SSD that you will really feel a benefit from it? 99% of users probably won't.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

I wouldn't do it, I ran two 840s in RAID 0. Was amazing, really fast load times. But when one of them died it completely messed everything up. I have a 840 Evo and it's just as fast as the two 840s I had in RAID 0.

The Phoenix | i7 3930K 4.6Ghz | Z79A-GD45 Plus | 2 x GTX 780 SLI | 16GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz | Two 240GB Samsung 840s | 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD | Silverstone TJ07 | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop

Streaming PC/LAN Rig | i7 920 3Ghz | Biostar X58 T-Power | GTX 460 1024Mb | 8GB XMS3 1333Mhz | 120GB Corsair SSD | Avermedia Live gamer HD C985 

If you want fast, you want a PCIe SSD drive, but otherwise I've run raid 0 SSD's before, and meh, yes at first the speed is impressive but, then you get to day to day usage... I went back to single SSD and used the other in my laptop in the end

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

I have two RAID 0's. One SSD and the other HDD. They have run flawlessly. 

RAID 0 with hard drives doesn't make much sense anymore, unless you need lots of storage space and lots of sequential transfer speed. SSDs make sense for everything else.

RAID 0 with SSDs is much more reliable than RAID 0 with hard drives. The biggest problem with a RAID 0 is upgradability -- if you want to switch from a RAID 0 of one drive type (say, 840 EVO) to another type (say, 850 Pro), then you will have a hard time with that. You cannot replace drives one by one with a RAID 0, you will have to copy all the data off, then copy it all back to the new array. You also will have to buy all the new drives at once, which will cost a lot.

I would go with a RAID 5. It will perform great with all the SSDs, and will allow you to upgrade the drives one at a time.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking