Need a few tips! (PSU, RAM, Cooling)

Hey guys!

I need some help, i made a setup and asked in forum what you guys think about it and the only thing people critisized was the PSU.
So first i want advice on that matter.
And for second, i need help with choosing ram, and i want to make it clear that i want to build a gamer pc.

This is the current setup. I already have the GPU.

• Mobo - ASUS Maximus VII Hero
  • CPU - i5-4690K 3.5 Ghz
  • GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 970
  • SSD - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
  • HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200Rpm
  • Case - Corsair Graphite 760t

RAM - CORSAIR 8GB Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9?

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W?
Cooling - Corsair Hydro H100i? 

EVGA G2 750W and when not wanna go SLI later on then go for a 550W of a decent brand, Cooling is fine and RAM is also good.

RAM is easy: It doesn't matter. 8 GB is plenty for gaming, and speeds/timings have never been shown to have any affect on real-world performance (if you're using a dedicated GPU, which you are). Get one from a reputable brand that has heatsinks that you personally look cool (or match the colorscheme of your build/etc).

Many people would prefer a 750W PSU if you are actually planning to go for SLI in the future, but if you're not, 550W is more than plenty. 650W is kinda in an awkward spot where it's cutting it close for dual-GPU setups (it should be fine for dual 970s, though), but overkill for single-GPU setups.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

The Cooling and RAM are going to likely be argued against because people like specific brands, like I Kingston, I'd recommend Kingston Fury 1866Mhz RAM over what you have chose.

650W for PSU is that special range that it's too much for most single cards and too little for most SLI.  Consider going up (don't have to go down) for SLI support in the future or if You need more GPU power.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Brand of ram doesn't really matter. Just get the cheapest 8GB kit of ddr3 ram that matches your color scheme. 

No need for such a powerful cooler just for gaming. Something cheaper like a Respire T40 would be fine for a decent gaming oc: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-cpu-cooler-rcrst4001

Are you planning to sli?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thanks for the fast replies! Im not planning SLI, and i dont think that i will OC much, only in mild ranges. My only problem with air cooling that it might be a problem for the rams. These corsair ones seem to be pretty high. And also setting up these water cooling blocks looks like childplay. The difference is pricing isnt much between an aircooler and a watercooler.

And again what PSU would u guys recommend? 550w 

I'd always look on the motherbaord's manufacutrer's website if everything is compatible. You can do that by going to your motherboard's page, then going to Service&Support and then going to the spezific part.

Especially for ram this is very important since most of the [insert any color]-screens are related to the RAM not acutally being compatible with the motherboard. (at least my teacher told me so (he has a company in that business for over 15 years now) :lol:)

In this case it would be this PDF found on ASUS's product page: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VII-RANGER/MAXIMUS_VII_RANGER_MEMORY_QVL.pdf

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

Thanks for the fast replies! Im not planning SLI, and i dont think that i will OC much, only in mild ranges. My only problem with air cooling that it might be a problem for the rams. These corsair ones seem to be pretty high. And also setting up these water cooling blocks looks like childplay. The difference is pricing isnt much between an aircooler and a watercooler.

Get low profile RAM and get a aircooler.

Yeah.. get lower profile ram. Vengeance ram is stupid for all practical reasons.

How much are you getting the h100i for?

A decent 500w would be plenty: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100w10500kr

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yeah.. get lower profile ram. Vengeance ram is stupid for all practical reasons.

How much are you getting the h100i for?

A decent 500w would be plenty: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100w10500kr

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Oh wow i didnt know that. :D

The H100i is around 140$ 

For aircooling BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 3 looks nice and its 88-89$ (Hungarian prices, yay)

Why is the Vengeance ram stupid?

Oh wow i didnt know that. :D

The H100i is around 140$ 

For aircooling BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 3 looks nice and its 88-89$ (Hungarian prices, yay)

Why is the Vengeance ram stupid?

$140 is a lot more expensive than a Respire T40 

The Dark Rock Pro 3 is great although it's more expensive of a cooler than you'd need.

Vengeance ram is tall and gets in the way. The tall heatsink has no practical benefit other than somewhat dissipating what little heat the ram produces.

$140 is a lot more expensive than a Respire T40 

The Dark Rock Pro 3 is great although it's more expensive of a cooler than you'd need.

Vengeance ram is tall and gets in the way. The tall heatsink has no practical benefit other than somewhat dissipating what little heat the ram produces.

So i swapped the vengeance for hyper x fury

What do you mean that the dark rock is more expensive than i need?

So i swapped the vengeance for hyper x fury

What do you mean that the dark rock is more expensive than i need?

The Respire T40 does the job to cool well enough for a decent gaming oc. The Dark Rock Pro 3 is better but is much more expensive as well. 

The Respire T40 does the job to cool well enough for a decent gaming oc. The Dark Rock Pro 3 is better but is much more expensive as well. 

Unfortunately tha T40 is not available at the store where i will buy my stuff. I will look for something similar.

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately tha T40 is not available at the store where i will buy my stuff. I will look for something similar.

Thanks for the help!

Where are you shopping?

Where are you shopping?

ipon.hu

ipon.hu

An ETS-T40 would be good: http://ipon.hu/webshop/product/enermax_ets_t40_tb/199004

or Shadow Rock 2 if you want a beefier and quieter cooler: http://ipon.hu/webshop/product/be_quiet!_shadow_rock_2/501105

why do you recommend that psu? i mean is that better than a corsair cs series 550?

Yes it is better than the Corsair. The XFX is a Seasonic made unit based on the Seasonic G series. It also has hybrid fan mode, so the fan will stay off until a certain point.

Yes it is better than the Corsair. The XFX is a Seasonic made unit based on the Seasonic G series. It also has hybrid fan mode, so the fan will stay off until a certain point.

Nice! Thanks :)

If you like corsair, and air cooling and dont want large ram heatsinks, use Cosair Vengeance LP ram, the stuff im using right now.  I love it, and it will be compatable with almost every heatsink

If you like corsair, and air cooling and dont want large ram heatsinks, use Cosair Vengeance LP ram, the stuff im using right now.  I love it, and it will be compatable with almost every heatsink

Right now what matters for me is great price/value and the color scheme wich is black/red and a little gray.