Need some help with a new microphone

casserly

Hey everyone!

So im looking to get a new, fairly high end microphone setup on my computer desk. I will be using the microphone mostly for skype when playing games but I will also be doing quite a bit of recording and voice over work which is why I actually want to spend a little bit extra instead of using a gaming headset mic.

So anyway the three I've been looking most at are:

Blue Yeti

Audio Technica at2020 plus

DE Podcaster

They are all USB mic's and thats what Im looking for. They are all pretty much the same price in my country (Sweden).

So I would like to hear from you guys that have more experience with audio work aand hardware than me.

Some extra information:

-I am aware of the fact that the podcaster is a dynamic microphone: I am going to be buying a stand or a boom arm so i will have the microphone quite close to my face.

-The microphone will be located at my desk next to my computer so there is noise to think of (mostly the sound from my razer blackwidow with mx blues)

-The headphones I use most of the time are Sennheiser's HD700, so there is some leakage

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks  :) 

Case Define r3 CPU 3930k GPU EVGA GTX 780 RAM 16GB Vengeance PSU Corsair HX750W SSD Samung 840 Evo 500GB + Corsiar Force 120GB + Samsung 840 250GB HDD 2x WD Blue 1TB + Seagate 2TB Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 Monitor Asus MG279 Headphones Sennheiser HD700 + Beyerdynamic T51p + Sennheiser ie80 Microphone Rode Podcaster  DAC/Amp Denon DA-USB300 + Schiit Valhalla 

I would go for the at2020, I own one and I love it.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I have a Yeti on an arm and I really like it. Mostly because I can plug my headset into it and live monitor my sound without any delay. It will pick up some background noise from your PC and keyboard but if you have it set to cardioid and facing you than it should be quite muted. The only thing I donlt like about my yeti is that the Blackout edition (just a black colored variant) was not a thing when I got mine.

I can't speak for the user experience of the other mics but I have heard people speaking from a AT2020 and it sounds just as good as the yeti.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

I got the blue yeti, because it was 50% off on black friday.

Aside from my first one being defective, it's a decent mic.

You'll need an extremely quiet room (someone using a hair dryer in a completely different room sounded like a jet plane at take off, and it picks up ambient noises quite well).

I've also noticed, if you want the best audio quality, you need find the sweet spot with the gain, and put your mouth quite close to the mic. I've tried sitting 12 or more inches from my mic, and it picks me up, but I'm told I just sound bad. If I move it within 6-8 inches, I sound fine, but if you really want the best quality, 2-4 inches is a sweet spot.

I wasn't exactly blow away by this mic. It's somewhat of a hassle, and it's much more nitpicky to get good quality sound than I imagined it would be.

On that note, it's still a decent mic, looks amazing, great feel too it, it can produce quality audio. I've also heard nothing but good things from the AT2020.

EDIT: I've read a lot about how taking the yeti off it's stand (which carries a lot of vibrations off your desk) and putting it on a boom can greatly increase audio.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

EDIT: I've read a lot about how taking the yeti off it's stand (which carries a lot of vibrations off your desk) and putting it on a boom can greatly increase audio.

Putting it on an arm (I also use a shockmount) eliminated any of the desk/floor vibrations I was getting when I originally got it.

Do you have the mic set to cardioid and pointing in the right direction? the hair dryer example just sound off.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

Putting it on an arm (I also use a shockmount) eliminated any of the desk/floor vibrations I was getting when I originally got it.

Do you have the mic set to cardioid and pointing in the right direction? the hair dryer example just sound off.

If you don't mind me asking, what shockmount and arm are you using?

I have gain halfway, and am using cardiod.

This photo is my desk atm (pardon the mess), and any hair dryer would be out This door, to your right, and about 15-20 feet down. 

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Thanks for all the input  :)  Its not exactly an easy choice.

I forgot all about also getting a shockmount; does it make a huge difference?

A while ago the only microphone that I was thinking of getting was the yeti because I thoroughly enjoyed the fullness (if that makes sense) of the sound. But then I hear one of my mates using it, and the amount of keyboard and mouse clicking and background television noise that it picked up got quite annoying quickly. He has it on his desk but do you guys think that it'll be a problem for me as well if I have it close to my face? Note that I don't live alone and sometimes the TV will be on in the background (about 2 metres from my computer).

Oh, and to the guys with the AT2020, I cant seem to find any information on the difference between the plus and the non-plus version...

Does anybody have any thoughts on the podcaster? From what Ive heard others say, its a bit of a step up from the yeti.

Again, thanks guys/girls. Your help is really appreciated!

Case Define r3 CPU 3930k GPU EVGA GTX 780 RAM 16GB Vengeance PSU Corsair HX750W SSD Samung 840 Evo 500GB + Corsiar Force 120GB + Samsung 840 250GB HDD 2x WD Blue 1TB + Seagate 2TB Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 Monitor Asus MG279 Headphones Sennheiser HD700 + Beyerdynamic T51p + Sennheiser ie80 Microphone Rode Podcaster  DAC/Amp Denon DA-USB300 + Schiit Valhalla 

Thanks for all the input  :)  Its not exactly an easy choice.

I forgot all about also getting a shockmount; does it make a huge difference?

A while ago the only microphone that I was thinking of getting was the yeti because I thoroughly enjoyed the fullness (if that makes sense) of the sound. But then I hear one of my mates using it, and the amount of keyboard and mouse clicking and background television noise that it picked up got quite annoying quickly. He has it on his desk but do you guys think that it'll be a problem for me as well if I have it close to my face? Note that I don't live alone and sometimes the TV will be on in the background (about 2 metres from my computer).

Oh, and to the guys with the AT2020, I cant seem to find any information on the difference between the plus and the non-plus version...

Does anybody have any thoughts on the podcaster? From what Ive heard others say, its a bit of a step up from the yeti.

Again, thanks guys/girls. Your help is really appreciated!

If there's a TV playing sound 2 meters from your computer, you most definitely will be picking it up with any quality mic.

I use PTT for skype and TS, but regardless, sound will come through.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

If you don't mind me asking, what shockmount and arm are you using?

I have gain halfway, and am using cardiod.

This photo is my desk atm (pardon the mess), and any hair dryer would be out This door, to your right, and about 15-20 feet down. 

I'm using the Blue Microphones Radius. I bought it over a year ago when it was on sale for 50% off, but just checked the amazon page and a lot of people have been having issues with theirs not supporting the weight of their microphone (mine works just fine).

http://imgur.com/LfHZcpP   <--- Pic of mic on mount.

as far as the hallway issue goes, I'm unsure of why it is so bad. I have had someone vacuuming in the next room while I use it. and others could hear the vacuum but it was not overpowering me. I use the yeti with about 1/4 to 1/3 gain usually from between 8 and 14 inches away. I can't check the settings on the PC side because I'm away at the moment.