Do I need -5 volts for my ASUS Maximus VII HERO?

Go to solution Solved by cw3055,

After a long chat with ASUS finally I got the answer seen below in quotes.  He is referring to the pin output diagram found in the ASUS Maximus VII HERO manual page 1-44.  You can see for EATXPER there is a pin for -5 volts.  ASUS representative's response can be found below.  

Cordell S."ok, figured thats what you were looking at. please overlook that, i am pretty sure that was just a mistake in the manual as the psu you have is compatible with this no doubt at all"

So I guess we'll see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Jeff

Hello All,

I have an Ultra X3 PSU 1600 Watt's.  I just purchased a ASUS Maximus VII HERO.  On the motherboard connector or the 24 pin connector to power the motherboard there is a pin that in the manual says it needs -5 volts.  My PSU connector has this pin as the only blank pin.  I checked my other motherboard that this PSU was connected to and this pin is not used and is also blank on the board itself.  The connector fits just fine.  Currently I do not have a CPU cooler or SSD's since they are in the mail so I am unable to test the motherboard functionality.  I would like to know if this -5 volts is used for anything, is it required, and am I stuck buying a new PSU?

Thanks for any help!

Jeff 

Oh, if I'm reading this correctly, that's just the -5v rail.

Still though, I'm weary of that psu.

Woo!

your PSU is just fine. as spoken before, that reference was from an old ATX

standard. if your PSU has a 24-pin harness, it qualifies to be used. some of

the older PSU will not be able to take advantage of the haswell power

efficiency standard due to the lack of the late model PSU haswell standards.

Why are you guys not sure about the PSU.  I paid over $200+ for this thing and I love this PSU.  It looks really sexy too.  Never once given me any problems.  Also modular what is there not to like about this PSU?  Rated for 100,000 hours and has only been in use for 5,000 hours since I use hour meters on all my computer builds I know this.

Oh, if I'm reading this correctly, that's just the -5v rail.

Still though, I'm weary of that psu.

I don't know what you mean by -5v rail but this is for the main 24 pin connector from the power supply to the motherboard.  Just one pin for the PSU which is the -5 pin for the motherboard is blocked of.  In the manual of the PSU this is listed as "do not use".  For other motherboards it is also listed as "do not use" or "NC" for no connection.  But this motherboard states that the pin is to be used for -5v which is new to me.

Why are you guys not sure about the PSU.  I paid over $200+ for this thing and I love this PSU.  It looks really sexy too.  Never once given me any problems.  Also modular what is there not to like about this PSU?  Rated for 100,000 hours and has only been in use for 5,000 hours since I use hour meters on all my computer builds I know this.

I don't know what you mean by -5v rail but this is for the main 24 pin connector from the power supply to the motherboard.  Just one pin for the PSU which is the -5 pin for the motherboard is blocked of.  In the manual of the PSU this is listed as "do not use".  For other motherboards it is also listed as "do not use" or "NC" for no connection.  But this motherboard states that the pin is to be used for -5v which is new to me.

It's just not a common name,I checked Johnnyguru (known for psu reviews) and of a few of their psus, nothing looks bad.

The motherboard won't be using it, you're safe (not that it would be unsafe for it to be used).

Woo!

It's just not a common name,I checked Johnnyguru (known for psu reviews) and of a few of their psus, nothing looks bad.

The motherboard won't be using it, you're safe (not that it would be unsafe for it to be used).

So do you know what the -5v pin is for?  I am having a hard time trying to figure out what the motherboard uses it for. 

After a long chat with ASUS finally I got the answer seen below in quotes.  He is referring to the pin output diagram found in the ASUS Maximus VII HERO manual page 1-44.  You can see for EATXPER there is a pin for -5 volts.  ASUS representative's response can be found below.  

Cordell S."ok, figured thats what you were looking at. please overlook that, i am pretty sure that was just a mistake in the manual as the psu you have is compatible with this no doubt at all"

So I guess we'll see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Jeff