Voltage converter needed or not?

Go to solution Solved by juretrn,

AFAIK UK and continental Europe have the same voltages and frequency (230 V(400 V interphase)/60 Hz). You'll be fine.

So I bought an iPig power cable from the UK not thinking about the power outlets. I am in The Netherlands where we use 230V power and the UK uses 240V. If I buy this converter (UK > EU), will I need a voltage converter or is it safe to not use one? It's just a difference of 10 volts, right?

AFAIK UK and continental Europe have the same voltages and frequency (230 V(400 V interphase)/60 Hz). You'll be fine.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Depends what you want to power, Some devices actually allow a range of voltage like 220V-240V.

PC power supply's can usually deal with it.

My pride:
Case: Fractal Design DEFINE R4 | CPU: Intel I5-4670K | CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro H110 | Mobo: Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 | GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB | RAM: Kingston Beast 16GB DDR3-2400MHz | PSU: Corsair RM850 | Storage: SSD: Samsung 830 128gb HDD: Seagate 3TB
Displays: Asus PB238Q &
old Fujitsu Siemens CRT monitor

Alright, thanks!

It should say what its except able tolerances are on thepower supply it will either give you a range like 220 - 240 or a % like 5 or 10% 

but you should be fine 

Most of those adapters can take 100-240v. It probably says so on the adapter sticker.

You could've saved yourself all the trouble and just get a power supply from the Netherlands with the same specs ;p.

Read carefully on the power supply. I think it's regulation to print/imprint the voltage, along with some critical data. 

Undervoltage is not dangerous, it will just cause your device to work a bit underpowered, or won't turn on at all. Overvoltage on the other hand, is very dangerous. Good power supply will fry itself, saving the device. Bad power supply will go down bringing the device along with it. 

They run 50Hz, but yes they have harmonized their standard mains voltage to 230V RMS. 

Before they agreed to do this, the UK standard mains voltage was pegged at 240V, while Continental Europe had it pegged at 220V.

Read carefully on the power supply. I think it's regulation to print/imprint the voltage, along with some critical data. 

Undervoltage is not dangerous, it will just cause your device to work a bit underpowered, or won't turn on at all. Overvoltage on the other hand, is very dangerous. Good power supply will fry itself, saving the device. Bad power supply will go down bringing the device along with it. 

For what he is powering (iPig), this probably won't matter.

What you mentioned is true for devices like light bulbs, electric stoves, flat irons, etc.

That being said, there are devices that get hurt by undervoltage scenarios. Motors that slow down too much or stall at low voltages can heat up and fail (or worse, become a fire hazard) for example.