iPad 2 or Surface RT ?

Mukessh

Hey  guys . I can get these for around the same price . Which would be the better option ? 

I wouldn't go with the iPad 2 this late in the market.  Especially with iOS 8.

Surface RT also wouldn't get my vote.  What exactly is your price point?

Hey  guys . I can get these for around the same price . Which would be the better option ? 

What price?

"Rawr XD"

iPad 2. The Surface RT (1) is so very slow. (I am an owner)

Also, your profile picture is very funny. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

iPad 4. I wouldn't go with an iPad Air 2. ;)

#Bendgate :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

iPad 4. I wouldn't go with an iPad Air 2.

#Bendgate

He means the actual iPad 2. 

He means the actual iPad 2.

Yeah, I know, but my mum had that and it was as slow as snails compared to my iPad 4.

Yeah, I know, but my mum had that and it was as slow as snails compared to my iPad 4.

Well it is the iPhone 4S's processor with 65% more pixels to power

"Rawr XD"

Surface RT. The iPad 2 is wayyy to slow these days.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Surface RT. The iPad 2 is wayyy to slow these days.

So is the Surface. 

Out of those choices, the iPad 2.

But you would be better served  if your on a tight budget getting one of the many decent Android tablets, or saving some more clams and get a later model iPad or Surface Pro

So is the Surface. 

From my experience though I find that with each iOS update, the apple device you have keeps getting slower, and slower, and slower until it's just unbearable where the animations take a few seconds to play out.

Tbh, you're right - they're both pretty slow, but I think because of all the new updates that Apple releases requiring better specs to run smoothly that the Surface RT would be a better choice.

Ultimately, it really depends on what OP is planning to do with his device.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Just get the iPad Surface 7 Pro! :P:D :lol: JK

Don't buy either

iPad 2 is very out dated and slow, meh screen, barely supports new apps and games

Surface RT, is rubbish, RT is a very limited OS with a poor app store

Get a newer iPad (at least iPad 4) or an Android tablet (or surface pro)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Well it is the iPhone 4S's processor with 65% more pixels to power

Some youtube vids I saw , it ain't that bad . 

From my experience though I find that with each iOS update, the apple device you have keeps getting slower, and slower, and slower until it's just unbearable where the animations take a few seconds to play out.

Tbh, you're right - they're both pretty slow, but I think because of all the new updates that Apple releases requiring better specs to run smoothly that the Surface RT would be a better choice.

Ultimately, it really depends on what OP is planning to do with his device.

Just browsing the web mostly , occasional media consumption , minimal gaming etc . I really want a Windows tablet as I can screen share from my PC to the tablet . 

Some youtube vids I saw , it ain't that bad . 

I can tell you from experience (I have the iPad2) it is that bad.  It is unbearable to use.  I wouldn't pay $30 for that tablet. 100% serious.

I have no experience with the Surface RT, but I wouldn't go that root either.

Ultimately it is your purchase, but please don't waste your money (as little as they may cost) on these products.

You never said your budget...?

I can tell you from experience (I have the iPad2) it is that bad.  It is unbearable to use.  I wouldn't pay $30 for that tablet. 100% serious.

I have no experience with the Surface RT, but I wouldn't go that root either.

Ultimately it is your purchase, but please don't waste your money (as little as they may cost) on these products.

You never said your budget...?

How about the iPad Mini 1st gen or LG G Pad ? 

Around $170 , there's a sale in my place that sells these products .

How about the iPad Mini 1st gen or LG G Pad ? 

Around $170 , there's a sale in my place that sells these products .

iPad Mini 1 has literally the exact specs as the 2.

I'd go iPad, I still use my iPad 2 every day and love it. It's plenty fast on iOS 8, and the screen isn't super high-res, but is IPS and has deep blacks.

iPad Mini 1 has literally the exact specs as the 2.

I'd go iPad, I still use my iPad 2 every day and love it. It's plenty fast on iOS 8, and the screen isn't super high-res, but is IPS and has deep blacks.

No lag ? 

No lag ?

Not really; of course, it's not nothing like a shiny new iPad Air 2, but it struggles only in very demanding games. iOS handles older hardware very well!

Get a nexus 7, or ausus memo pad, or even a hp stream tablet

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Not really; of course, it's not nothing like a shiny new iPad Air 2, but it struggles only in very demanding games. iOS handles older hardware very well!

I know this topic is a few days old now, but I had to post this.

This quote, especially the last sentence, made me LOL. I literally laughed out loud. I'm typing this from an iPad 3, which is better than the iPad 2 in almost every way, and it runs slow as molasses flowing uphill on iOS 8.1.2. It takes FOREVER to load anything, multitasking gestures take an average of 4 seconds to load and sometimes all-out stops working, whenever I play sound, through both headphones and speakers, a random static sound plays at full volume and the tablet must be rebooted for it to stop. You couldn't pay me to use this, the only reason I still do is because I use it for school (my parents are big on using devices until they stop working, so their laptops are 5+ years old) and don't have quite enough money for a PC yet.

AMorassOfPixelz is an Apple fanboy-he says it himself in his signature. Of course he'll try to tell you to buy an iPad. That said, don't buy a Surface RT, either. Get a Nexus 7, Asus Memo Pad or a cheap, full Windows 8.1 tablet.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

(unfounded hate)

Whoa now.

My iPad 2 is still very responsive, and contrary to the beliefs of 99% of this forum, I can recommend Apple products for reasons other than 'it's Apple.' The iPad 3 is known to be a bit of a wash when it comes to performance, as it was the first retina display iPad, and didn't really have the graphical power to keep up since then. The 2 is older, yes, but the resolution is dramatically lower than the 3, and newer iPad 2s have a die-shrunk version of the A5 chip, so it's cooler and therefore runs faster at the same temps as previously.

It does truly run well on iOS 8, and it can run nearly any game out there. Of course (as stated) it's no Air 2, but just because you have a bad experience doesn't invalidate my reasoning for recommending a perfectly solid tablet that just went out of production in October over one that has heinous incompatibility with software and an OS that was essentially dumped off by its developer due to everyone hating it with a passion.

Good day.

EDIT - I see you're a grammar nazi as well, eh?

Get a nexus 7, or ausus memo pad, or even a hp stream tablet

Looking to get a Stream 7 myself :)