Downloading Steam files using torrent?

i wanna start buying games instead of pirating them. I made a steam account and started with some free to play to see how steam works. I stared downloading TF2 but i have slow internet (512kbps) so i cant download the whole thing in one go and when i turn off my pc i loss all the download progress. 

So i added Dota 2 to my library and i downloaded Dota 2 using torrent and then copied the instated game in the 'common' folder but it didnt detect the game files i also copied them to the downloading/570 folder, the folder in which it was downloading the files and it still didn't work.

Is there a way i can download game files using torrent and link them to the steam games i buy?

because steam downloads are not gonna workout for me.

i wanna start buying games instead of pirating them. I made a steam account and started with some free to play to see how steam works. I stared downloading TF2 but i have slow internet (512kbps) so i cant download the whole thing in one go and when i turn off my pc i loss all the download progress. 

So i added Dota 2 to my library and i downloaded Dota 2 using torrent and then copied the instated game in the 'common' folder but it didnt detect the game files i also copied them to the downloading/570 folder, the folder in which it was downloading the files and it still didn't work.

Is there a way i can download game files using torrent and link them to the steam games i buy?

because steam downloads are not gonna workout for me.

just hit pause...

when u turn off it won't disappear

when you put the pc 2 sleep with steam open it pauses.....till internet connection is resumed

. I stared downloading TF2 but i have slow internet (512kbps) so i cant download the whole thing in one go and when i turn off my pc i loss all the download progress. 

Umm, what? You shouldn't lose download progress when you exit Steam or shut down your PC. Something could be wrong with your Steam installation.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

just hit pause...

when u turn off it won't disappear

I did but it still does that 

Umm, what? You shouldn't lose download progress when you exit Steam or shut down your PC. Something could be wrong with your Steam installation.

I turned off my pc without exiting steam, could that be the problem?

I turned off my pc without exiting steam, could that be the problem?

no, shut down or sleep?

Shut Down

wtf why you shutting down so much

just go to sleep

tbh you only need to shutdown if your going away for a long time, or rebooting from installing an update or program.

or need a refresh but thats like once a week or every other week.

wtf why you shutting down so much

just go to sleep

tbh you only need to shutdown if your going away for a long time, or rebooting from installing an update or program.

or need a refresh but thats like once a week or every other week.

Ok, I think going to sleep will actually save my download progress and ill try it but i would still like to know the answer to the original question 

Ok, I think going to sleep will actually save my download progress and ill try it but i would still like to know the answer to the original question 

"Is there a way i can download game files using torrent and link them to the steam games i buy?"

no not easily, your probbly not going to find a proper torrent for the game, and even if you do steam might not accespt it

"Is there a way i can download game files using torrent and link them to the steam games i buy?"

no not easily, your probbly not going to find a proper torrent for the game, and even if you do steam might not accespt it

:( it would have been nice to have that,

thanks for the help 

@DoozyDiglett Nope sir, I'm afraid not. If it was so, each and every money saving b*tch would have done that. You can put them in those folder and add the game to steam. The difference is it will be in the "non steam" category and you on't be able to enjoy the stuff that steam gives you if you buy through it. (Stuff like achievements, controller support, big screen etc).

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

@DoozyDiglett Nope sir, I'm afraid not. If it was so, each and every money saving b*tch would have done that. You can put them in those folder and add the game to steam. The difference is it will be in the "non steam" category and you on't be able to enjoy the stuff that steam gives you if you buy through it. (Stuff like achievements, controller support, big screen etc).

Well it sounds like you are implying that he wants to be able to get games for free but that's not what he is saying he just wants to download the steam version of the game from a different source and put it into the steam folder so that when he goes to install the game through steam it finishes instantly. He isn't trying to trick steam into giving him free games just trying to download the game without steam.

To adress the topic no I don't know of a way to do this because I simply haven't had a need to try it before but I would like to know if someone can do it. The only way I can think is that if you already download some of it and then put in the torrent version and tell steam to check the game files(but I don't know if that option is open before you finish downloading the game)

I'm calling bullshit.

The OP is just fishing for links to Steam compatible game torrents.

Steam supports resume and as far I I know, has never had any issues with it restarting games after you have shut down, rebooted..

I'm calling bullshit.

The OP is just fishing for links to Steam compatible game torrents.

Steam supports resume and as far I I know, has never had any issues with it restarting games after you have shut down, rebooted..

Causing fishing for TF2 links is a crime for a free game.

I think OP has a bad problem with steam installation not remembering downloads.

Might be better to try reinstalling Steam or check to see if some hard drive or software error is not letting steam write to disk, in which it will falsely assume its successfully downloading parts till you resume where it will check back on the download and see it doesn't exist.

Information Security is my thing.

Running a entry/mid-range pc, upgrading it slowly.

If I'm leaving my computer on overnight for a big download I don't usually even bother with sleep. I just turn off my monitors, speakers, and the lights on my keyboard. I'm pretty sure I have sleep mode disabled.

steam will always save your download progress. You don't have to download in one go. It's also more reliable than torrents. If steam is not saving your download progress then that's a serious bug which You should be trying to fix, looking for torrents is not a solution.