Asus 970 Coil Whine - Should I RMA it?

LarsReviews

From MSI:

“The coil whine issue is not specific to 900 series, but can happen with any high end GPU and that MSI is looking in to ways to minimize the issue. If you still have concern regarding this issue, then please contact our RMA department.”

From EVGA:

“We have been watching the early feedback on GTX 970 and inductor noise very closely, and have actively taken steps to improve this. We urge anyone who has this type of concern to contact our support so we can address it directly.”

From NVIDIA:

“We’re aware of a small percentage of users reporting excessive “coil whine” noises and are actively looking into the issue.”

If you’re having coil whine issues with your GTX 970 please let us know. If the noise is excessive you may attempt to RMA your card for a replacement. A more conservative approach would be trying to limit your framerates. If you’re using a 60Hz monitor make sure to maintain a 60FPS frame limit. You can achieve this via software like MSI Afterburner or if the game natively offers this option.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-970-coil-whine/#ixzz3NUiGrLm6

How does Asus handle this? I only get it at really high framerates or when F@H at medium. Sometimes randomly when gaming. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

If it bothers you...it's worth a shot.

I don't have experience with this, but if it is something that bothers you, it's better to do it now than not having the option to later and regretting it.

Just my two cents.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Coil whine is normal. I don't think Asus will give you a different card. It could be even worse with a different card.

From my experience, Card Companies don't care about Coil whine. I doubt they'd RMA it.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

EVGA was willing to RMA my card but it was allot worse than yours.

Your card actually sounds quite good if its only at high FPS (something that every high end card will do) and sometimes while gaming. My card had coil wine at the desktop that you could hear more than 10 feet away (quite an extreme case).

Quantum Chaos: i7 6850K | 2x Strix 1080Ti SLI | MSI X99 SLI Krait | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | 3TB WD Red RAID 1

Coil whine is normal. I don't think Asus will give you a different card. It could be even worse with a different card.

I will not rma it. Just did some testing, it overclocks like hell.  B)

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

I will not rma it. Just did some testing, it overclocks like hell.  B)

You might also want to change your member title, as that is no longer accurate. ;)

To reduce the coil whine, try to limit your FPS in games. The higher the FPS goes, the more chance there is it will whine. Every card will coil whine after passing a few 100 FPS.

I'm, pretty sure you can't RMA a product because of coil whine.

Actually you can if the Retailer or shop accepts it , but as Linus said , it's POINTLESS, your card will just come back and with the Coil Whine as your having now. 

But if you don't mind not having a GPU for a Month or so and MAY end up being a pointless RMA , go for it  :lol:  

But seriously if i'ts bearable and not noticeable , we have no choice but to bare with it or drown it off with your speakers volume. If it really whine loud as lets say....when your pushing out over 1000 + FPS situations....time to crack your head and find every possible solution there is to it  :wacko: