Reliability of 2 Intel 730 SSD 240GB in RAID 0 ?

BLCT
Go to solution Solved by m_tieu,

also im gonna add a WD Black 1tb drive for mass storage etc..

Do you really need a separate boot drive? I think a 480GB boot drive and a single WD black 1tb will be enough unless you have to move the game drive from computer to computer. Boot times will not be affected by using multiple drives unless you decide to put them in raid.

Sooo.. i am thinking on upgrading to x99. I am thinking on go raid 0 on my ssds. And for my Hard drive, i am thinking of getting an external one, To be specific it's the WD Elements 4TB External Hard Drive, it's cheaper.. it's 159.99 at my local store for 4TB. Im gonna be storing my media, pictures, and crap there. For my SSDs i am gonna be running my games and my odd save games there. Now, how reliable is that raid 0 for 730 ssds, and also note. Im gonna be making my back up at that WD Elements Drive. Is it better to get an single 480gb SSD or a two 730 240gb in RAID 0 ? If so ? How Reliable is RAID 0 with those SSDs ?

Link to my x99 upgradehttp://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/N83kRB

Read First before you ask please... 

Q & A :

Q 1 : Why is there no PSU and case ?

A 1 : Im reusing my Corsair 750D, it`s a damn good case with solid cooling, and with good enough looks. Also reusing my EVGA SuperNova G2 850w, it`s soo quiet with rock solid reliability. 

Q 2 : Why Windows 8.1 and not Windows 7 ?

A 2 : Faster Boot times... Lol and why not ? Also my work uses it, might as well get one at home.

Q 3 : Why the heck are you planning on upgrading to x99 ? Isn't that 4770k of yours good enough for your gaming needs ??? 

A 3 : Well yes correct, my 4770k Is good enough for my gaming needs. But, I am sooo sick and tired of my cpu hitting 80-90 % load gaming while streaming, yes i do leave a bucket loaaad of tabs open 24/7. I decided to upgrade to x99 to get more cores for better productivity. Also to note. I work in an environment where I always bringing my drive with me, I am a Photoshop Editor for a Company.  

Q 4 : Wtf ? Why do you have 2 cpu coolers ? How does that work ? Are you planning to combine both of them ???

A 4 : Don't be silly.... Im only putting that H320 there so the pricing is there, the H240-X is the same price as the H320 at the moment. And no, are you nuts ? why would i do that ?

Q 5 : Dude wut ? lol an External drive ? why ?

A 5 : Again, I am an Editor for a Company.  Also who wouldn't like to sneak in some games ? ;)

Q 6 : Why aren't you using 2 GTX 970's ? They have more Cuda cores.... And perform better in gaming!

A 6 : Yeah, you are correct they do perform much better in gaming. But, I am planning on going Sli with my 980 later in the future. 

Q 7 : Why wont you just get a 5960X, and an Asus E WS Mobo for your "Workstation Use"

A 7 : I have a wedding coming up in a few months. I can't afford to spend THAAAT much money.

Q 8 : Why only 16gb of RAM ?

A 8 : As I said, wedding in a few months, trying to spend as less as possible.

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."

-snip-

I know it may be necessary for portability, but portable hard drives are not good for heavy, heavy use. they tend to have huge overheating problems. I may be wrong though, just wanted to share that. 

Ah, the colours, my eyes. But on a serious note

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($436.98 @ Newegg Canada)

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X 90.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.99)

Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($429.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($274.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.00 @ Canada Computers)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($659.99 @ NCIX)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($98.98 @ DirectCanada)

Other: Corsair Obsidian 750D Bottom Dust Filter ($21.16)

Other: Phobya UV LED Strips 120cm & 60cm ($110.09)

Other: GRID+ FAN CONTROLLER ($34.98)

Other: WD Elements 4TB External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 ($159.99)

Other: Samsung (SE-208GB/RSBD) Slim External 8x DVD Writer, Retail ($29.99)

Total: $2549.11

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-30 18:31 EST-0500

you should also be able to open up the portable hdd to get the hdd with sata out.

Steve

I know it may be necessary for portability, but portable hard drives are not good for heavy, heavy use. they tend to have huge overheating problems. I may be wrong though, just wanted to share that. 

Ouch, that gotta suck you know. would it be better to get like a WD 4Tb internal drive instead ?

Ouch, that gotta suck you know. would it be better to get like a WD 4Tb internal drive instead ?

yes. it depends though. If your going to be constantly working off of it, better to have it internal. if your just using it to move files, external is fine.

its amazing how fast they heat up, they need cooling, the airflow in your case helps out. like people have problems with drives overheating in the external docks that you can buy. 

Alright external drive it is. What about that ssds in RAID 0 ?

Alright external drive it is. What about that ssds in RAID 0 ?

Just get the single 480gb drive. Boot times are a bit slower with 2 drives because you have to wait for the raid controller to load and reliability is the same as having 2 separate drives and having one of them fail eventually but the data on both become unusable. I only recommend 2 drives if you need capacity. The speed benefits are hardly noticeable.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

Just get the single 480gb drive. Boot times are a bit slower with 2 drives because you have to wait for the raid controller to load and reliability is the same as having 2 separate drives and having one of them fail eventually but the data on both become unusable. I only recommend 2 drives if you need capacity. The speed benefits are hardly noticeable.

what bout having a separate SSD for a boot drive ? Like a 120gb Samsung 840 evo SSD only for the boot drive ? Are there benefits of having another ssd for a boot drive ?   

what bout having a separate SSD for a boot drive ? Like a 120gb Samsung 840 evo SSD only for the boot drive ? Are there benefits of having another ssd for a boot drive ?   

Like having a single 120gb boot drive and then 2x 240gb ssd's in raid0? Boot times will still be slower because the mobo will load the raid controller for the storage array first then windows. 

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

Like having a single 120gb boot drive and then 2x 240gb ssd's in raid0? Boot times will still be slower because the mobo will load the raid controller for the storage array first then windows. 

No, i mean my boot drive would be that single 120gb. And a single 480 ssd for games and such...

No, i mean my boot drive would be that single 120gb. And a single 480 ssd for games and such...

Do you really need a separate boot drive? I think a 480GB boot drive and a single WD black 1tb will be enough unless you have to move the game drive from computer to computer. Boot times will not be affected by using multiple drives unless you decide to put them in raid.