GPU instability/artifacts

Go to solution Solved by mgutierrez33,

And you say your previous cards never exhibited this symptom?  I've heard of black screen issues on top tier Radeon cards that had BIOS issues, perhaps a BIOS flash is in order with your card... which, with it being brand new, probably means RMA x-(.  I'd get in touch with EVGA on the matter though, their tech support is supposed to be really good with helping people figure out stuff like this.  Try reaching out to Jacob on Twitter as well, he's @Evga_JacobF

Hello,

So I've been messing around with games and benchmarks, and I've noticed some issues, primarily with shadows. The appear to have jagged 'teeth'. The two images are from WarThunder and the Heaven benchmark. It appears no matter what settings are ticked.

Following pics were at high and ultra settings.

(Just so you know, these are two separate pictures)

artifact2.jpg

artufact3.jpg

Another issue I found was while in GRID Autosport; my GPU appeared to have crashed, and my monitor went to sleep after saying "No Signal". The cable is on correctly.

I haven't had any other issues with the system.

I'll likely be returning my card anyways, I got unlucky and have some pretty loud coil-whine (regardless of V-sync). Any thoughts are appreciated.

System-

EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 970 SC

i7 4790k

8GB of ram

Extreme4 Z97 from Asrock

EVGA B1 PSU

Note about the PSU-

I don't think its an issue, but I have the GPU connected via the non-modular VGA cable and one of the modular VGA cables.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Hello,

So I've been messing around with games and benchmarks, and I've noticed some issues, primarily with shadows. The appear to have jagged 'teeth'. The two images are from WarThunder and the Heaven benchmark. It appears no matter what settings are ticked.

Following pics were at high and ultra settings.

(Just so you know, these are two separate pictures)

artifact2.jpg

artufact3.jpg

Another issue I found was while in GRID Autosport; my GPU appeared to have crashed, and my monitor went to sleep after saying "No Signal". The cable is on correctly.

I haven't had any other issues with the system.

I'll likely be returning my card anyways, I got unlucky and have some pretty loud coil-whine (regardless of V-sync). Any thoughts are appreciated.

System-

EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 970 SC

i7 4790k

8GB of ram

Extreme4 Z97 from Asrock

EVGA B1 PSU

Note about the PSU-

I don't think its an issue, but I have the GPU connected via the non-modular VGA cable and one of the modular VGA cables.

My shadows have jagged teeth, but that's because they're on low.  Double-check your settings.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

I second re-checking your AA settings.  Also have you pushed this card anywhere beyond what the original overclock was set to and checked other vitals on the card during testing to see if anything looks amiss?

I second re-checking your AA settings.  Also have you pushed this card anywhere beyond what the original overclock was set to and checked other vitals on the card during testing to see if anything looks amiss?

Card is currently stock, and I changed the AA settings, but I still have teeth.

Here is a pic with AA settings at 8x (DX11 + High + Tessellation:normal)

Artifact6.jpg

Also, after the original post, my monitor 'Lost Signal' (the exact same way as it did with Grid) during a match in WarThunder.

I highly doubt my monitor is at fault, it has been working fine, and after restarting the system it continues to work fine.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

could be a graphics setting. I get some of those oncce in a while. On AMD the 14.4 drivers cured that in my games.

hmmmm... black screen is never a good sign... that's kinda strange though that it only seems to be shadows that are affecting anything.  You also checked the nVidia Control Center settings?  Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but those being even a little off can do not-so-nice things to your machine.  That happened to my younger brother's machine once... it was awful...

hmmmm... black screen is never a good sign... that's kinda strange though that it only seems to be shadows that are affecting anything.  You also checked the nVidia Control Center settings?  Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but those being even a little off can do not-so-nice things to your machine.  That happened to my younger brother's machine once... it was awful...

I haven't changed anything in the control center, not sure what could be causing and issue there.

Shadows really are the only issue I've noticed, besides the crashing. I've been doing burn-ins and benchmarks all week and its odd that I've only started finding issues now. The only guess I have is my GPU isn't stable.

edit-

When I said finding issues now, I meant the crashing. The shadow issue has been around since I put the card in.

And you say your previous cards never exhibited this symptom?  I've heard of black screen issues on top tier Radeon cards that had BIOS issues, perhaps a BIOS flash is in order with your card... which, with it being brand new, probably means RMA x-(.  I'd get in touch with EVGA on the matter though, their tech support is supposed to be really good with helping people figure out stuff like this.  Try reaching out to Jacob on Twitter as well, he's @Evga_JacobF

Never have had trouble before. I'll get in touch with EVGA probably this coming monday. Thanks for the help and being patient.

No problem at all.  Patience is a virtue that tends to be seriously lacking in the tech world anymore with information flooding our brains every second that we are online, and it's one that I also have a hard time with at times.  I'd expect nothing less from a community with a question like this though, they can be insanely difficult to diagnose, especially if you have no practical experience with something like this.