questions about steam and hard drives

ImRyan

so i am planning on adding an SSD to my pc and installing windows to it i currently have windows installed on a 1tb hard drive along with steam. can i remove windows from my hard drive and leave steam on the hard drive so i don't have to install my games again. 

hope this makes sense

thanks for help

Just save your steam files to an external drive and then you can remove windows from the HDD.

If you have two partitions it's pretty easy, if you have one then it gets pretty hard.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

so i am planning on adding an SSD to my pc and installing windows to it i currently have windows installed on a 1tb hard drive along with steam. can i remove windows from my hard drive and leave steam on the hard drive so i don't have to install my games again. 

hope this makes sense

thanks for help

Just save your steam files to an external drive and then you can remove windows from the HDD.

Worth mentioning that after you do that, you might wanna verify the games cache before launching, just to be sure everything is OK.

hope this makes sense

thanks for help

Unfortunately you can't just move Windows back and forth. When you get your SSD, you'll have to reinstall Windows. However, you can back up your Steam games using Steam Backup and Restore. More info at https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-YPHV-2033

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Worth mentioning that after you do that, you might wanna verify the games cache before launching, just to be sure everything is OK.

I've never had to do that but it's not a bad idea.

Unfortunately you can't just move Windows back and forth. When you get your SSD, you'll have to reinstall Windows. However, you can back up your Steam games using Steam Backup and Restore. More info at https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-YPHV-2033

Nope he can clone.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Use this guide if you can or want 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlw2bu2Cjuk

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650