Rig for a friend - Haswell?

Hi guys!

I'm building a rig for my friend. His budget is 1000€. I was thinking about either a i5-3570K + Z77A-GD45 or i5-4670K + Z87AGD45. On a slovak forum I'm mostly on I heard about Haswell having a problem with USB 3.0, so I wanted to go with Ivy Bridge. Then I went here and everyone is making a rig with Haswell with no worries, like this didn't even exist. On the slovak forum most of the guys suggest to wait till Intel fixes it (about the end of the summer). But I already made him wait about half a year and he has to play LoL on a single-core Celeron and a GT220.

It would be lovely if someone explained the USB 3.0 issue with Haswell. Also, I'm interested in your opinions guys.

Thanks.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

Personally I don't like Haswell I would rather go with Z77 because the platform has more stuff available at the moment. If you want to go with Haswell go for it its a tiny bit faster and a bit less power hungry (not that a 3570k was very power hungry anyways).

Personally I don't like Haswell I would rather go with Z77 because the platform has more stuff available at the moment. If you want to go with Haswell go for it its a tiny bit faster and a bit less power hungry (not that a 3570k was very power hungry anyways).

ya, i agree

the issue is that if you have a usb 3.0 drive plugged in,and your pc goes into standby mode,it may not be able to see the usb 3.0 drive anymore until the pc is restarted.

the reason nobody here cares is because most of us 

-don't have a usb 3.0 drive plugged in 24/7

-don't use standby mode

-don't care for other reasons

it's not a big issue.

the issue most people have with haswell is that it still isn't soldered onto the die like sandybridge was,and that the thermal paste between the IHS and the die appears to be of lower quality.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

So Ivy Bridge? I thought so.

And that USB 3.0 issue?

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett

So Ivy Bridge? I thought so.

And that USB 3.0 issue?

I don't think the USB issue is around anymore and even if it is just have a look around for the board you want and see what people have to say about it. Also Ivy bridge should be more then fine.

I also hate the gold ASUS boards.

ya i disagree  :P they just dont match every rig but they can look good

Yea but nobody makes gold case lighting the only parts i can think of is the gold quad channel vengeance ram.

Ok thanks for the informations. I will go with Ivy Bridge.

If you save alot on buying Ivy instead of Haswell, then go for Ivy.

If Ivy is almost the same price, then you should go for Haswell.

I was about to go with Ivy and be done, but the difference (board+CPU) is 15€.

Yeah, I much prefer it over the blue and black color scheme of the past.