Is the problem my harddrive?

Zer0-101

I recently built my first computer and am having problems with my hard drive. I am have an SSD as my boot drive and it is working fine but my hard-drive is only being seen in windows sometimes but it is still being recognized in the bios. I did format it in the beginning and it was reading and writing fine but then it just stopped being recognized. It will come back and go away and is just not functioning correctly. I have switched sata cables and ports that is is in and it is still not functioning properly. I am pretty sure this is just a hard drive issue but want to make sure before going through the hassle of exchanging it. Please help, thank you.

Any other PC to put the drive in?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I might check to see if there are any strange powersaving features on that HDD, i have a harddrive that goes into a powersaving mode if it is not used for a certain amount of time and when i open "my computer" my SSD is recognized but shows nothing else plugged in, after a few seconds the drive shows up (can hear it spin up too) If there are some power saving mode on that drive i might see if there is a way to disable it and that might help you out. Cheers!

Main Rig: | CPU: Intel Core i9-7900x | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Founders | Mobo: Asus ROG Strix X299-E Gaming | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz | SSD: Samsung 980 Pro w/Heatsink 1TB & Samsung 960 Pro 1TB | Sound: Parasound ZDAC & Burson Soloist Amp | PSU: Corsair RM850 | Fans: 2x Noctua NF-F12 | Case: Caselabs MAGNUM SMA8 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 800 | Keyboard: WASD V3 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Mousepad: Logitech G PowerPlay | CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | Primary Monitor: Acer Predator XB272 | Extra Monitors: Samsung Syncmaster PX2370 |

I recently built my first computer and am having problems with my hard drive. I am have an SSD as my boot drive and it is working fine but my hard-drive is only being seen in windows sometimes but it is still being recognized in the bios. I did format it in the beginning and it was reading and writing fine but then it just stopped being recognized. It will come back and go away and is just not functioning correctly. I have switched sata cables and ports that is is in and it is still not functioning properly. I am pretty sure this is just a hard drive issue but want to make sure before going through the hassle of exchanging it. Please help, thank you.

Hello Zer0-101 and welcome to Linus Tech Tips Forum :)

What brand/model is your HDD (size, format, partitions)? When it disappears from Windows, do you see it in device manager or disk management? How does it reappear (restart, wait a bit, start transferring data, etc.)?

You could try plugging it in another SATA port to see if this persists (it could be a bad cable or SATA port). I would second 

@Godlygamer23's suggestion of trying it on a different computer. Also you could try plugging it externally with a SATA to USB cable, enclosure or a docking station.

What @Nicodemus suggested is true. Some HDDs have features that allow them to spin down or even power down after a certain time of not using them in order to save power. If you post your drive's model I can look that up for you. 

When the drive disappears, can you hear or feel it spin inside your case or is it turning itself off? Do you hear all your other fans spin up or your computer overheating?

Happy Holidays!

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/