Buzz in headphones when playing games?

PowerPigeon

So I finally sat down to boot up a game on my new PC, and found that there is a slight buzzing/humming noise whenever I am in game. What could be causing this, and how could I fix it?

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $204.98) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (Purchased For $124.99) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $57.98) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card  (Purchased For $219.99) 
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $124.99) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $64.98) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (Purchased For $109.99) 
Other: LG GP50NB40 Slim External 8x Black DVD Writer USB 2.0 Retail (Purchased For $29.99)
Other: LG 22MP56HQ-P 22" IPS Monitor (Purchased For $149.99)
Total: $1167.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-29 03:52 EST-0500

The headphones I am using are the Razer Kraken Pro. I have never had this issue before.

Probably the amplifier on the motherboard, but I have the predecessor to your board (I have the Z87X-SLI) and the audio output's fine.

Try using front panel connectors if you can?

Sig under construction.

Probably the amplifier on the motherboard, but I have the predecessor to your board (I have the Z87X-SLI) and the audio output's fine.

Try using front panel connectors if you can?

The buzzing goes away when I use the front panel connector, but everything sounds really far away and I can't get the mic to work.

The buzzing goes away when I use the front panel connector, but everything sounds really far away and I can't get the mic to work.

The microphone on the Kraken Pro? Ah. It's a combined jack.

You'll need a splitter - one that the headset should come with. A three-prong to two and one-prong adapter?

You might also want to consider an external DAC.

Sig under construction.

The microphone on the Kraken Pro? Ah. It's a combined jack.

You'll need a splitter - one that the headset should come with. A three-prong to two and one-prong adapter?

You might also want to consider an external DAC.

I have the splitter that the headset came with, and am using it. I just can't get the microphone to work with the front input. Could it be the mobo connection?

you could try to check the internal cabling and see if any cables are loose

a loose power cable may cause the buzzing sound as there is current leaking

your on board relies on the mobo 24 pin power

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

you could try to check the internal cabling and see if any cables are loose

a loose power cable may cause the buzzing sound as there is current leaking

your on board relies on the mobo 24 pin power

Are mobo cables like the 24 pin supposed to click when they are inserted? What is the best way to make sure they are pushed in all the way?

Push down on each side until they won't go any more, it can click, but just make sure the little clip thing pushes down over the plastic lip on the plug.

From the sound of it, it does sound like a slightly damaged/iffy sound card on the motherboard to me

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

If you've got a grounding issue with your PC it could cause the problem.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Push down on each side until they won't go any more, it can click, but just make sure the little clip thing pushes down over the plastic lip on the plug.

From the sound of it, it does sound like a slightly damaged/iffy sound card on the motherboard to me

So would the easiest/only way to fix that be getting a dedicated sound card? If so I can do that.

What do you mean? If so, why does the issue only arise when playing games?

So would the easiest/only way to fix that be getting a dedicated sound card? If so I can do that.

What do you mean? If so, why does the issue only arise when playing games?

The issue would only arise when playing games as that's when your computer is generally consuming the most power.

Sig under construction.

This was what I was going to say also. Grounds can be a funny thing to track down though from my experience... I have been in many a friends car that has a shitty buzzing sounding radio because he messed up a ground when he put in his WalMart Sony XPLOD head unit.

Sometimes i troll...

3D Mark Fire Strike Score: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3854240 +215mhz Core Clock +440mhz Memory Clock @4.6ghz 1.325v

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/b1aze/saved/qQFxFT

The issue would only arise when playing games as that's when your computer is generally consuming the most power.

This was what I was going to say also. Grounds can be a funny thing to track down though from my experience... I have been in many a friends car that has a shitty buzzing sounding radio because he messed up a ground when he put in his WalMart Sony XPLOD head unit.

So would I need to reseat all the cables then?

So would I need to reseat all the cables then?

Nooootttt necessarily... Thats why I say grounds can be a funny thing. There could be grounding issues in your Power supply that you would not be able to necessarily see. I would start by pulling all connections out of the system and reseat them all. If that doesn't fix it, try to see if you can isolate each component (which can be a huge pain).

Sometimes i troll...

3D Mark Fire Strike Score: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3854240 +215mhz Core Clock +440mhz Memory Clock @4.6ghz 1.325v

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/b1aze/saved/qQFxFT

Your first problem was getting a Razer headset.

Your second is that your motherboard isn't grounded.

I do regret asking for this headset as a gift.

How do I do the second thing?

Edit: Could it be the ground in the outlet on the wall?

Okay so I am now noticing the whine/buzz when I do other things. It's very quiet sometimes while watching a video on YouTube, and when I go to open the LTT forum notification thing in Chrome it squeaks like opening an old door, and then buzzes a little bit until I close it.

I do regret asking for this headset as a gift.

How do I do the second thing?

Edit: Could it be the ground in the outlet on the wall?

Yes, that's it. Try changing electrical outlet.

I actually had issues with the first outlet I plugged into not holding things in anymore. I'm using some crappy 6-outlet splitter to plug everything in. I'll try replacing that first. If not, my uncle can come in and replace the outlet.

I've got a new power bar with an indicator for whether it's grounded or not. It says that it is, but I still hear the buzzing/whining sound. Would the next step be to replace the electrical outlet, or should I try something else?

I've got a new power bar with an indicator for whether it's grounded or not. It says that it is, but I still hear the buzzing/whining sound. Would the next step be to replace the electrical outlet, or should I try something else?

I would replace it.

I would replace it.

Okay. I'll get in touch with my uncle and see if he can come in and do that for me. Thanks! I'll get back to you if anything changes.

Okay. I'll get in touch with my uncle and see if he can come in and do that for me. Thanks! I'll get back to you if anything changes.

Hold on, try using your computer in a different power outlet, in a different section of your home. Any difference?