Best headphone amp?

orangecat

SO i'm thinking of getting a headphone amp for my Hd 518's because my onboard audio just doesn't have enough bass output even when connected to a external stereo amplifier so i figured I'd look into a headphone amp. My budget is around 100-200$ and a built in USB DAC would be nice but i just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Obviously sound quality is important but i don't expect something that was designed t drive high end headphone like HD 800's i just want something that sounds nice and has either 3.5mm input or USB.

Currently looking at MayFlower Electronics ODAC and objective 2 but I'm not sure yet.

HD518 is just like that, clear, good separations and clarity, but got rolling bass, which some people find it lackluster. First try some EQ-ing. If that doesn't help, there's no other way than to get a different headphone. 

HD518 is just like that, clear, good separations and clarity, but got rolling bass, which some people find it lackluster. First try some EQ-ing. If that doesn't help, there's no other way than to get a different headphone. 

I will admit the HD 518's have great sound but the bass is rather lacking.

I will admit the HD 518's have great sound but the bass is rather lacking.

It's a lot better in the low frequency response than the AD700 without x, the one in my avatar

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2841&graphID[]=2661&graphID[]=3651&scale=30

The one I'm using right now is the HE400. Delicious basses, couldn't be happier (in this price 

It's a lot better in the low frequency response than the AD700 without x, the one in my avatar

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2841&graphID[]=2661&graphID[]=3651&scale=30

The one I'm using right now is the HE400. Delicious basses, couldn't be happier (in this price 

The hiFi mans have a very large drop in the midrange area. Personally I like as flat a response as I can get. but the hifiman dont look bad.

The hiFi mans have a very large drop in the midrange area. Personally I like as flat a response as I can get. but the hifiman dont look bad.

That's not the midrange...

I consider midrange from 750-5K and there is a dip within that range.

Eh I would say that's half in the high range. I didn't like that drop either. I knew something was off when I tried them but I didn't realize what it was until I looked at the graph. 

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3651&scale=30

Eh I would say that's half in the high range. I didn't like that drop either. I knew something was off when I tried them but I didn't realize what it was until I looked at the graph. 

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3651&scale=30

Yeap, a big valley in the higher-mid. Imo it's a bit less fatiguing in long listening though, compared to bloated mid-high. Some people also find the high peak a bit wild. I guess I got used to it, it doesn't bother me anymore.

Definitely spend your money on headphones instead. Your 518s would go fantastically with something like the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros, to give two different but pleasurable experiences. If you have to get an amp, get a SMSL sAPII for $70 (the SD-793ii is also the same price and has an OK DAC) or a schiit Magni

Might go with the new Schiit Fulla, only $79 and its an amp/dac combo

Main Rig: | CPU: Intel Core i9-7900x | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Founders | Mobo: Asus ROG Strix X299-E Gaming | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz | SSD: Samsung 980 Pro w/Heatsink 1TB & Samsung 960 Pro 1TB | Sound: Parasound ZDAC & Burson Soloist Amp | PSU: Corsair RM850 | Fans: 2x Noctua NF-F12 | Case: Caselabs MAGNUM SMA8 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 800 | Keyboard: WASD V3 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Mousepad: Logitech G PowerPlay | CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | Primary Monitor: Acer Predator XB272 | Extra Monitors: Samsung Syncmaster PX2370 |

Might go with the new Schiit Fulla, only $79 and its an amp/dac combo

And what would that accomplish? Magically makes bass pour out of the headphones?

Heheh, as an owner of the 700s, man that bass is just nonexistent, thank god they made the bass frequencies audible in the x revisions.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Heheh, as an owner of the 700s, man that bass is just nonexistent, thank god they made the bass frequencies audible in the x revisions.

They didn't tho, they all sound the same.... (500 and 700 both "x" and not. 

They didn't tho, they all sound the same.... (500 and 700 both "x" and not. 

The X version got a bit more bass compared to the non X, in expense of the sense of wideness (less wide). 

The X version got a bit more bass compared to the non X, in expense of the sense of wideness (less wide). 

I owned all four, didn't hear a difference between them..

I owned all four, didn't hear a difference between them..

I don't know then. That's what I thought when trying the AD500x, and confirmed by the Audio Technica booth guy, in USF. He said, because people were complaining about the lackluster bass, they made the X version with more bass, by changing its shell or damping material or something. Too bad, can't find the X version on headroom's frequency chart, so can't really see it side by side

I don't know then. That's what I thought when trying the AD500x, and confirmed by the Audio Technica booth guy, in USF. He said, because people were complaining about the lackluster bass, they made the X version with more bass, by changing its shell or damping material or something. Too bad, can't find the X version on headroom's frequency chart, so can't really see it side by side

Don't know what to tell you, they were all built pretty much the same, though the non X's had a foam pad between the outer grill and driver, but removing it made no difference besides weight. 

Don't know what to tell you, they were all built pretty much the same, though the non X's had a foam pad between the outer grill and driver, but removing it made no difference besides weight. 

I'm pretty certain while directly comparing my AD900 and my AD1000x (since according to numerous people on this forum, they "sound the same"), I found that the X has more bass.  But that's just my opinion, no one has bothered to do an actual graph for these so we don't know for sure.  But my impression was that there was more bass.

EDIT: It could be because I bought the 1000x, which is supposed to have a different driver, I realize I've probably looked a bit like a fool and you guys should find someone with an actual 900x.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I'm pretty certain while directly comparing my AD900 and my AD1000x (since according to numerous people on this forum, they "sound the same"), I found that the X has more bass.  But that's just my opinion, no one has bothered to do an actual graph for these so we don't know for sure.  But my impression was that there was more bass.

EDIT: It could be because I bought the 1000x, which is supposed to have a different driver, I realize I've probably looked a bit like a fool and you guys should find someone with an actual 900x.

I was eh on the 900, wasnt my cup of tea, but it was at least different to the 5/700. Only one from the line that I really liked was the A700x, it was nice.