How to overclock i7-4790? (Newbie as my profile states)

Hi I am a newbie and I don't know how to overclock, my uncle is an ITT person so he helped me figure out my system that I wanted for $2000 USD. So my specs that are needed probably are the motherboard, cpu, psu, and gpu, so my motherboard is the ASUS sabertooth z97 mark 1, my cpu is i7-4790 (not k as I didn't know what that ment and this one was cheaper) my cooler is also probably important it is the coolermaster 212 EVO, the psu is 850W and my gpu is a "pre-overclocked" msi gtx 970 and I plan on getting another gtx 970 but the next one will be a "gaming" version. So I hope all those specs and stuffs help and with those "helpfulish" specs maybe you can help me. Thanks LinusTechTips.com for helping me once again you seem more useful than reddit. So now I will repeativly hit "refresh" until some answer comes up, because I have nothing else to do.

You won't be overclocking on a non-k part.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

Hi I am a newbie and I don't know how to overclock, my uncle is an ITT person so he helped me figure out my system that I wanted for $2000 USD. So my specs that are needed probably are the motherboard, cpu, psu, and gpu, so my motherboard is the ASUS sabertooth z97 mark 1, my cpu is i7-4790 (not k as I didn't know what that ment and this one was cheaper) my cooler is also probably important it is the coolermaster 212 EVO, the psu is 850W and my gpu is a "pre-overclocked" msi gtx 970 and I plan on getting another gtx 970 but the next one will be a "gaming" version. So I hope all those specs and stuffs help and with those "helpfulish" specs maybe you can help me. Thanks LinusTechTips.com for helping me once again you seem more useful than reddit. So now I will repeativly hit "refresh" until some answer comes up, because I have nothing else to do.

Well, if you don't know, the "K" means that the CPU can be overclocked. It's like this:

i7 4790 - Non-overclockable

i7 4790K - Overclockable

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

turn down your memory frequency

start raising bclk

you should be able to hit up to 106.9 bclk

no voltage adjustments need.

bring your ram speed up when you have got your cpu frequency figured

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

You won't be overclocking on a non-k part.

Well, if you don't know, the "K" means that the CPU can be overclocked. It's like this:

i7 4790 - Non-overclockable

i7 4790K - Overclockable

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/111461-how-tooverclock-a-cpu-with-locked-multiplier/#entry1489703

OP can OC(the old fashioned way, heh), but it will be very limited.

You dun goofed lol. You can OC that CPU, but it will be very limited compared to the K version. If you can, return it and get a K version.

If he didn't know what the "K" meant he probably isn't meant to be overclocking.

System: Thinkpad T460

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/111461-how-tooverclock-a-cpu-with-locked-multiplier/#entry1489703

OP can OC(the old fashioned way, heh), but it will be very limited.

Yeah, well that's what I sort of meant. It's not as easy without a "K" version CPU.

If he didn't know what the "K" meant he probably isn't meant to be overclocking.

Well, everyone is at a different level in their computer knowledge so how about you give the guy a break, hey? ;)

Well, everyone is at a different level in their computer knowledge so how about you give the guy a break, hey? ;)

Yeaaa  :blush:  

Even for beginners I recommend getting a K CPU, because it can be OC'd in the future

Man that PSU is overkill, coulda gotten the 4790k. A 4790 is still powerful, especially for something that looks like a gaming PC.

System: Thinkpad T460

honestly the quickest solution would be to RMA the cpu and exchange it for the 4790k

id also looking at stepping up to a slightly cooler

honestly I don't know where you spent all your money 2000.00 USD is enough for LGA 2011 system (assuming you didn't buy a high end monitor/keyboard+mouse,speakers ect ect ) 

So now I will repeativly hit "refresh" until some answer comes up, because I have nothing else to do.

Or you could just follow your own thread and will get notified whenever some one writes something in here. ;)

Back on topic: while you can OC a non-K CPU a little via bclk, it's nothing I would really recommend for beginners, since it can mess up your whole system - and will not even give you very much increase in clock speeds in return. Sorry, but -K CPUs is where OCing really happens, and you didn't get one.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

The only way to overclock a non K Cup is put it on a clock and call it an over clock cpu. :D just kidding mate just return it and buy a K version of same CPU then many can help ya with overclockin.

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

Overclocking on a non-K part is limited to increasing the turbo ratio for all cores to 40, and then any extra can be done via the base clock.

However I personally do not think you should attempt the 2nd part.

Go into the BIOS, go to the OC options and find CPU ratio, and just press the + key until it doesn't go higher.

Overclocking on a non-K part is limited to increasing the turbo ratio for all cores to 40, and then any extra can be done via the base clock.

However I personally do not think you should attempt the 2nd part.

Go into the BIOS, go to the OC options and find CPU ratio, and just press the + key until it doesn't go higher.

I will never recommend messing with base clock on specially DC CPUs coz i tried it . it 102.5 it was almost fine but bit fishy on 102.6 it became mental case i was about to put it in a mental hospital hahahahahaahah. it was doing non sense out the world things booting then stuck on boot screen then boot and restart . some things boot and in the middle of gaming stuck and restart( in simple words unstable)

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.