8 pin to 6 pin?

gregy

I'm going to purchase a Novatech 850W PSU and It has a 6 pin and an 8 pin connector.

I've got 2 options.

Buy an R9 280 and use both

or

I've heard you can mod the 8 pin into a 6 pin and then I can buy a GTX 760.

I'm running linux, if that matters.

Yep the 8 pin can become 6+2 pin try to forcing the 8 pin apart you will see a line.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Don't buy a Novatech psu would be my advice. Get a decent branded unit. You will only need a 500W or so for a single card.

If you need to compromise the connectors on a power supply, you should probably go with a different one.

It was the cheapest PSU they had. 850W for £31. I didn't buy it to go near its limit. I don't distrust Novatech, They just don't have experience with power supplies. :/ Their customer service is great though. If it fries my components then I can go complain and they'll sort it out.

If you need to use an adapter or modify the power supply, it's probably not a great choice for your system is what I'm saying. Not sure how the prices are where you live, but I know there are power supplies from more reputable brands for the same price if not much more (going by USD to GBP conversion).

If you need to use an adapter or modify the power supply, it's probably not a great choice for your system is what I'm saying. Not sure how the prices are where you live, but I know there are power supplies from more reputable brands for the same price if not much more (going by USD to GBP conversion).

One from Corsair or coolermaster or the like can cost £20 more for a lot less wattage. I'm working on a budget and I'd like to save as much as possible. I understand it is a massive part of your system and can cause fires when done badly so I can see your point.

One thing you should never cheap out on is the power supply. An 850W psu for £31 pretty much tells you that it is crap.

I'm not familiar with your retailers but I recommend that you go with a more well known brand even if it's slightly lower rated. A 500-700w power supply should be more than enough for your rig. Possibly a little lower depending on your future plans.