Worth upgrading the H100i to something else?

Go to solution Solved by mgutierrez33,

I forgot to put down that I am indeed getting the NZXT sentry 2, and I know getting positive Airflow requires more intake than exhaust, but don't know how when the h100i uses 2 fans and an exhaust. Would mountong the Rad at the front of the case as intake and just have one exhaust at the rear be viable? Or just doing what you suggest the best option

Yeah I'd just flip the rear 140mm fan to intake air into your case, leave the two front fans as intake as well, then keep the H100i fans exhausting air out of the top of the case:

ZIKCR8X.jpg?1

Hello guys,

So to start off here is my build (CPU Cooler and case fans are all stock):

CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

Motherboard MSI Z87-G45

Memory Corsair XMS3 8GB

Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780

Case Corsair 760T Black

PSU Antec HCG M 850W 80+ Bronze

Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

Operating System Windows 8.1

My Situation: I actually plan on overclocking my 4770k (currently stock rating), so I wanted to upgrade all of my fans. I am debating if I should upgrade my h100i for something better and give the h100i to someone else, or leave it as is and replace the fans.

Questions:

1. Stated above; upgrade the h100i for a 280mm AIO and give it to someone else, or upgrade the fans
  2. Case Fans: What are some suggestions for case fans? preferably 140mm and is a good mixture between quiet and performance.
  3. Fan Placement: I currently have 2 140mm's in the front as intake, 1 140mm exhaust as well as the h100i. Is it optimal or does it need to be rearranged?

Sorry if I am asking a lot, I just want to make sure I am getting the optimal performance, and there are a ton of options when it comes to cooling. I really do appreciate the help!

Honestly your H100i will be fine for pushing that chip a pretty decent amount.  Realistically the only reason you would need anything bigger is if you were to go with an expandable/custom system since there really isn't much else out there that's worth upgrading to that would make a serious difference with your CPU temps.  For fan replacements I recommend Cougar's PWM fans, Noiseblocker NB eLoops, Be Quiet! SilentWings fans, or of course Noctua (depending on budgetary constraints and personal preference).  If nothing else they will just SOUND a lot better in your system since the stock Corsair fans are kinda poopie IMHO; not that they PERFORM poorly, but they're just a bit too loud even at lower speeds for my personal preference.  As for replacing the H100i, I wouldn't go with anything other than an expandable system like the Glacer 240L or, more ideally, one of Swiftech's new kits like the H220-X or the H240-X.  Going with the 220X will net similar (if not slightly better) performance, but will also allow you to expand the system to later include an extra rad, different tubing, a GPU block, etc.  Going with the 240-X will net noticeable improvements in temperatures and offer the same expandability in your system, potentially even allowing you to cool the GPU and the CPU on the same rad (go gentle with overclocking if you go this route, there won't be much headroom).  Another option is, of course, a fully custom loop with parts from HeatKiller, EK, Swiftech, etc., but that's all a matter of skill level and how comfortable you are with selecting your own hardware.

For fan placement, I'd recommend just flipping the rear fan around to act as intake and slap a dust filter on it (or a piece of stocking fabric for a ghetto-fabulous temporary solution), then letting all the air exit through the roof of the case.  Actually though, I have two of these cases and I have had no issues with dust keeping the fans in their stock orientation and position... but I use fan speed controllers in my cases to control individual fan speeds, so the two intake are spinning at higher RPM than the rear and top fans to help out a bit with case pressure.  If you decide to invest in a fan speed controller, I highly recommend an NZXT model.  They're well built, show nicely, and actually look right at home in a 760T.

Honestly your H100i will be fine for pushing that chip a pretty decent amount.  Realistically the only reason you would need anything bigger is if you were to go with an expandable/custom system since there really isn't much else out there that's worth upgrading to that would make a serious difference with your CPU temps.  For fan replacements I recommend Cougar's PWM fans, Noiseblocker NB eLoops, Be Quiet! SilentWings fans, or of course Noctua (depending on budgetary constraints and personal preference).  If nothing else they will just SOUND a lot better in your system since the stock Corsair fans are kinda poopie IMHO; not that they PERFORM poorly, but they're just a bit too loud even at lower speeds for my personal preference.  As for replacing the H100i, I wouldn't go with anything other than an expandable system like the Glacer 240L or, more ideally, one of Swiftech's new kits like the H220-X or the H240-X.  Going with the 220X will net similar (if not slightly better) performance, but will also allow you to expand the system to later include an extra rad, different tubing, a GPU block, etc.  Going with the 240-X will net noticeable improvements in temperatures and offer the same expandability in your system, potentially even allowing you to cool the GPU and the CPU on the same rad (go gentle with overclocking if you go this route, there won't be much headroom).  Another option is, of course, a fully custom loop with parts from HeatKiller, EK, Swiftech, etc., but that's all a matter of skill level and how comfortable you are with selecting your own hardware.

It is mainly a sound thing and I do agree with you about corsair fans :P

This really helps me out with your outstanding advice. And just to make sure, 2 intakes front, 3 exhaust okay or should I rearrange some fans? (all of them are being replaced, I already ordered some NF-F12's for the h100i)

Well you CAN leave them in that config IF you are able to spool down the speed of the exhaust fans.  If you don't have a fan speed controller or don't have the means to reduce JUST the speed of those fans then the best thing to do would be to just turn the rear fan around to intake.  Even if you don't have a dust filter on that fan you'll still have higher net case pressure than you did before and should still not have an overly serious issue with dust, provided the environment the case is in is similarly clean-ish.  Since you're keeping the H100i, definitely be sure to control the speed of the fans through CorsairLink to keep the sound levels down  since they don't really need to spin very fast at all to maintain good cooling capabilities.  As for the rear fan, by turning it around you can still keep that one plugged into the cases integrated fan speed controller with the front fans and just run them at the low RPM setting and you should be golden.  Even at lower speeds you should still be moving a greater volume of air INTO the case than the two Noctua's are moving OUT of the case, plus that will help even out the sound signature of the computer.

So to reiterate: spin that rear fan around to act as intake and you should be good to go.

Well you CAN leave them in that config IF you are able to spool down the speed of the exhaust fans. If you don't have a fan speed controller or don't have the means to reduce JUST the speed of those fans then the best thing to do would be to just turn the rear fan around to intake. Even if you don't have a dust filter on that fan you'll still have higher net case pressure than you did before and should still not have an overly serious issue with dust, provided the environment the case is in is similarly clean-ish. Since you're keeping the H100i, definitely be sure to control the speed of the fans through CorsairLink to keep the sound levels down since they don't really need to spin very fast at all to maintain good cooling capabilities. As for the rear fan, by turning it around you can still keep that one plugged into the cases integrated fan speed controller with the front fans and just run them at the low RPM setting and you should be golden. Even at lower speeds you should still be moving a greater volume of air INTO the case than the two Noctua's are moving OUT of the case, plus that will help even out the sound signature of the computer.

So to reiterate: spin that rear fan around to act as intake and you should be good to go.

I forgot to put down that I am indeed getting the NZXT sentry 2, and I know getting positive Airflow requires more intake than exhaust, but don't know how when the h100i uses 2 fans and an exhaust. Would mountong the Rad at the front of the case as intake and just have one exhaust at the rear be viable? Or just doing what you suggest the best option

Yeah I'd just flip the rear 140mm fan to intake air into your case, leave the two front fans as intake as well, then keep the H100i fans exhausting air out of the top of the case:

ZIKCR8X.jpg?1

ZIKCR8X.jpg?1

You sir have helped me out! Thank you very much!