App Development

labrockstar

Fellow Programmers,

I want to create an iOS app, I have an idea but I don't have a Mac nor do I know the programming language. I am an experienced Batch, Lua, Java programmer but I do not know the Apple programming language. First of all I would like suggestions on where to start learning the Apple programming language, second I would like to know if I can program on windows without Xcode and finally how closely related is Apple's programming language related to C++.

- Labrockstar Out

If you are already an experienced Java developer, why not develop for Android?

There's more iOS sheep than Android plus cash

Its been proven that ios users are more willing to pay for apps compared to android users.

Op im pretty sure u need a mac to make ios apps but dont quote me as for learning i recommend thenewboston he does a ton of tuts on all different stuff and is pretty good at explaining things.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL53038489615793F7

Problem with that is, though: iOS development takes significantly longer than Android..

There goes your margin.

DayZ Forum Moderator, DayZ Developer, ARMA 3: 2017 Developer, System-Admin, Gameserver-Admin, always interested to learn something new as well as new people.

Problem with that is, though: iOS development takes significantly longer than Android..

And what makes you think that?

There goes your margin.

care to elaborate?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Fellow Programmers,

I want to create an iOS app, I have an idea but I don't have a Mac nor do I know the programming language. I am an experienced Batch, Lua, Java programmer but I do not know the Apple programming language. First of all I would like suggestions on where to start learning the Apple programming language, second I would like to know if I can program on windows without Xcode and finally how closely related is Apple's programming language related to C++.

- Labrockstar Out

When you say Apples Programming Language, do you mean Swift (their new one introduced alongside iOS 8) or Objective-C?

Also, I know @Builder develops for iOS so he might be able to answer your questions.

When you say Apples Programming Language, do you mean Swift (their new one introduced alongside iOS 8) or Objective-C?

Also, I know @Builder develops for iOS so he might be able to answer your questions.

When I said Apple's Programming Language I meant that whatever programming language Apple uses, now you've told me what they use

Thanks for the info

Android development is much faster especially because Google doesn't "review" your app to the extent Apple dies

Its been proven that ios users are more willing to pay for apps compared to android users.

Op im pretty sure u need a mac to make ios apps but dont quote me as for learning i recommend thenewboston he does a ton of tuts on all different stuff and is pretty good at explaining things.

Thanks, I'll just hackintosh it

You don't need physical Mac, you can use a hackintosh or just a virtual machine (they are sometime a little pain in the a** to setup for the first time but run great). 

To develop the app you will need Xcode and for the language it's in Objective-C. To get started there is a lot of great tutorial online also the documentation on the apple developer center https://developer.apple.com/

Android development is much faster especially because Google doesn't "review" your app to the extent Apple dies

If Android is faster for you that's just because you know it better than iOS and unless you're creating tons of crapapps and flooding the store the few days for review is nothing compared to the time to make and test a quality app (unless you're submitting around Christmas time when Apple pretty much shuts down.) My first iOS app took 4 days to review, second was 3 and the third was less than 24 hours.