GTX 770 help - What one is better?

Skwoad

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at getting a GTX 770 over this Christmas break, and I found that there are two 770's that are fairly similar.

There is the Gigabyte Oc edition and the eVGA 4g Superclocked edition.

I was wondering if spending the extra $55 is worth it?

I do my gaming in 1080p but have multiple monitors that I use.

Here are the links to both:

eVGA:

http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/products_review.phtml?id=10&bid=2&id2=247&sid=138198

Gigabyte:

http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=247&bid=2&sid=134439

Thanks in advance,

Skwoad

Asus Maximus - VII - Ranger || I5-4690k @ Stock... for now at least :P || Noctua DH-14 || eVGA Gtx 970 FTW edition || G_skill Areas 8gb RAM || Samsung 440 evo SSD 120gb || 2x Seagate Barracuda 2tb drives.

I'd go with the Gigabyte.... Higher clock speed...

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

I'd go with the Gigabyte....

How come? Just price to performance or what?

Asus Maximus - VII - Ranger || I5-4690k @ Stock... for now at least :P || Noctua DH-14 || eVGA Gtx 970 FTW edition || G_skill Areas 8gb RAM || Samsung 440 evo SSD 120gb || 2x Seagate Barracuda 2tb drives.

How come? Just price to performance or what?

Mainly personal opinion... ^^'

The windforce cooler is really really good, and it should have higher clock speed than the EVGA's... That means that if it doesn't oc greatly you will still have really good performance...

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

You can get an R9 290 for 400 bucks (10 bucks cheaper than the EVGA 770) in that exact shop, that would vastly outperform any gtx 770 out there. Just saying.

Gigabyte, cheaper, slightly faster out of the box and it's not a reference card so it should OC better if you want to do that.

EVGA cards that aren't named anything other than SuperClocked are reference cards with ACX coolers on them. FTW, Classified and other named cards are custom.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

*which

I'd go with EVGA because EVGA.

But since it's so much more expensive go with Gigabyte.

You can get an R9 290 for 400 bucks (10 bucks cheaper than the EVGA 770) in that exact shop, that would vastly outperform any gtx 770 out there. Just saying.

I would get a r9 290 but my psu will most likely not support it- I will have to upgrade it soon.

EVGA for their amazing customer support. I've heard gigabyte's is less then stellar.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I would get a r9 290 but my psu will most likely not support it- I will have to upgrade it soon.

What's your exact PSU and what are your specs? Because 770 ~ 200W, R9 290 ~ 260W. Not a massive difference and you could underclock/undervolt the R9 290 if it really is an issue and probably still get better performance out of it than the 770 (+ double the VRAM of course).

EVGA for their amazing customer support. I've heard gigabyte's is less then stellar.

Customer support is always good, but performance comes first for me.

Will that 4gb really make that much of a difference?

How much is regular 770?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

What's your exact PSU and what are your specs? Because 770 ~ 200W, R9 290 ~ 260W. Not a massive difference and you could underclock/undervolt the R9 290 if it really is an issue and probably still get better performance out of it than the 770 (+ double the VRAM of course).

I have a Corsair HX520W psu, I though the r9 290 used 300W? 

The rest of my specs are:

Mobo: Asus p6t

Gpu: Power Colour Hd 7950

CPu: i7 920 Bloomfield @ 2.6ghz with a noctua d-14 cooler

Ram: 8gb Gskill ares 

(forgive me if I missed anything)

Vram is important when you play game in higher resolution also recently some games needed 3-4 gb of vram if you want to max it out. But why 770 just get a 970 it is alot better.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

How much is regular 770?

The Gigabyte one is $355 and the eVGA one is $409

Prices are pretty trash here, I really wanted to get a GTX 780 but they only have watercooled ones...

I was originally going to go for a 970 but then my headphones ripped and I need to get some new ones...

The Gigabyte one is $355 and the eVGA one is $409

Prices are pretty trash here, I really wanted to get a GTX 780 but they only have watercooled ones...

I was originally going to go for a 970 but then my headphones ripped and I need to get some new ones...

oop I meant VRAM size :P

oop I meant VRAM size :P

No worries, the normal has 2gb or vram.

The EVGA card seems to be out of stock... anyways i prefer Gigabyte.

290 usally draw 240-260 ish W if you want to know how much power you will needed just use a power supply caculator like this one http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

The EVGA card seems to be out of stock... anyways i prefer Gigabyte.

Unfortunately, in terms of stock updating at least, umart can be pretty slack with that, so its probably 50/50.

Either way, it would be a 1 week wait for restock. 

I used one like that earlier and got 514W, I though that was way too close to even trying to use. 

Hmm, I personally would go for it but I understand your concern. When you check guru3d you'll see this for an R9 290: Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 254 Watts and a 550W PSU is recommended as a minimum.

Hmm, I personally would go for it but I understand your concern. When you check guru3d you'll see this for an R9 290: Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 254 Watts and a 550W PSU is recommended as a minimum.

Yea, from what I've read, my psu can support GTX 780 and 970, so I could always try, just would rather go with something safe, that I know it can handle.