quest about games and linux (steamOS)

GeeZillion

so i dont have money for windows with my build so i might get ubuntu or steamOS whatever you guys thing is better but i want to know if theres ways to run non linux supported games while using linux 

https://www.winehq.org/

not perfect but may suit your needs.

(Also follow your topics so you know when someone replies :) )

"Since the Internet is almost diametrically opposed to the notion of Quality Control, in recent years it's been a lot easier to just assume everything's s**t until it can prove itself otherwise".  Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw (2008)

Yeah most older games will work using WINE, but not all. I got Roller Coaster Tycoon to work :P I know some newer games, like most of Valves games, work fine under WINE. It just depends on the game.

Yeah most older games will work using WINE, but not all. I got Roller Coaster Tycoon to work :P I know some newer games, like most of Valves games, work fine under WINE. It just depends on the game.

do you know if skyrim or fallout 3 do? 

do you know if skyrim or fallout 3 do? 

Probably not, maybe technical preview, I'm pretty sure its free for a while, but I come from a win8.1 licence. 

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

Probably not, maybe technical preview, I'm pretty sure its free for a while, but I come from a win8.1 licence. 

will the windows 10 tech preview expire? i could just use that i know it has a keylogger but i dont mind its not like id put in credit cards and stuff as i dont own any xD 

so i dont have money for windows with my build so i might get ubuntu or steamOS whatever you guys thing is better but i want to know if theres ways to run non linux supported games while using linux 

what is your build anyway? If you show us we could probably lower the price down enough to get ye a OS

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

what is your build anyway? If you show us we could probably lower the price down enough to get ye a OS

its a super budget build i have no room for windows

its a super budget build i have no room for windows

how much is super budget?

"Since the Internet is almost diametrically opposed to the notion of Quality Control, in recent years it's been a lot easier to just assume everything's s**t until it can prove itself otherwise".  Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw (2008)

will the windows 10 tech preview expire? i could just use that i know it has a keylogger but i dont mind its not like id put in credit cards and stuff as i dont own any xD 

It hasn't for me, so its worth a try, I would sign up and see what happens, you can always get linux if all else fails.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

$400

Here is a build that includes windows for $430

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($77.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus A78M-E Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($34.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($33.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Rosewill I3-397-BK MicroATX Mini Tower Case w/400W Power Supply ($52.98 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $430.91

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-18 01:07 EST-0500

If you could save up a bit more then you could get a much better build.

Play on Linux is an easy way to install windows games on linux. It uses wine and preconfigures settings for you. It doesn't have all the games but it works with a lot of stuff.

https://www.playonlinux.com/en/

i got windows for only $20 on g2a... try looking there to see if you can get it for cheap.  

XEON E3 1231v3 | GA-Z97MX GAMING 5 | XFX R9 290 | 16GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX100 256GB | WD BLUE 1TB | EVGA SUPERNOVA 850W | CORSAIR 350D

just run win 8.1 you get 30 days free trial before you gotta activate, then at the end of the trial just dont activate and you can keep using it with all features and updates xD thats what ive done for last 3 months 

just run win 8.1 you get 30 days free trial before you gotta activate, then at the end of the trial just dont activate and you can keep using it with all features and updates xD thats what ive done for last 3 months 

theres a 90 day free trial one so after the trial you can still use it?

theres a 90 day free trial one so after the trial you can still use it?

yep, worked for me (still using the trial today) :D 

yep, worked for me (still using the trial today) :D

i looked it up and it said after 1 hour it shuts down windows to prevent you from using it unactivated 

i looked it up and it said after 1 hour it shuts down windows to prevent you from using it unactivated 

mine never have? how do you screen shot? ill show you 

mine never have? how do you screen shot? ill show you 

you can press print screen on your keyboard and then go into paint and click paste then save the pic 

use the windows 10 preview till it runs out, install steam os and accept that you cant run a lot of games or (cough) oldpiratebay.org (cough)

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

or just use a windows activator, i got one if you want me to send you it for win 7 tho

or just use a windows activator, i got one if you want me to send you it for win 7 tho

i wound rather use windows 7