Spilled tea on my RMBP

atrash
Go to solution Solved by TDP_Equinox,

nah.don't want to void the warranty

I'm fairly sure the tea didn't seep through all the way to the bottom because it was only like 2-3 table spoon that spilled. But I can still take out the key caps and clean them right?

taking the back off of the RMBP Does not void the warranty. 

Taking the keyboard off is impossible without going through the back, and you cannot safely remove the keys with it still in the machine, you WILL break it.  

Rice?

Rice is bad.

well on most computers you can remove the keyboard without removing the back of the pc and voiding warranty, so pop that sucker off, and run a TINY amount of water on it.

Distilled water, or isoprophyl alcohol 

I was stupid enough to fall asleep (just finished my final crit after 2 days of no sleep) in front of my laptop with my mug placed next to it. Fortunately there wasn't a lot of it that spilled onto the keyboard and I managed to shake it off and wiped it with lots of kitchen towel. But unfortunately it was a sweet tea and now my keyboard is feeling a bit sticky when pressing it. I've managed to wiped out everything with some alcohol and microfibre towel but I think some of the tea might have seeped underneath the keyboard. how do I get rid of this stickiness without voiding the warranty? Can I pry the key caps out and clean them? 

I was stupid enough to fall asleep (just finished my final crit after 2 days of no sleep) in front of my laptop with my mug placed next to it. Fortunately there wasn't a lot of it that spilled onto the keyboard and I managed to shake it off and wiped it with lots of kitchen towel. But unfortunately it was a sweet tea and now my keyboard is feeling a bit sticky when pressing it. I've managed to wiped out everything with some alcohol and microfibre towel but I think some of the tea might have seeped underneath the keyboard. how do I get rid of this stickiness without voiding the warranty? Can I pry the key caps out and clean them? 

Taking the keycaps out can be a pain in the ass so don't bother. 

Take the bottom of, and look for the little red dots that show water damage. 

If you see none, you're probably fine. 

If you see any of the stickers turn red, either take it apart yourself and clean it with 99% alcohol and a toothbrush, or take it to a shop.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Open the back, remove the mobo, remove entire keyboard and clean

Taking the keycaps out can be a pain in the ass so don't bother. 

Take the bottom of, and look for the little red dots that show water damage. 

If you see none, you're probably fine. 

If you see any of the stickers turn red, either take it apart yourself and clean it with 99% alcohol and a toothbrush, or take it to a shop.

I'm fairly sure the tea didn't seep through all the way to the bottom because it was only like 2-3 table spoon that spilled. But I can still take out the key caps and clean them right?

Rice?

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

well on most computers you can remove the keyboard without removing the back of the pc and voiding warranty, so pop that sucker off, and run a TINY amount of water on it.

Taking the keyboard off is impossible without going through the back, and you cannot safely remove the keys with it still in the machine, you WILL break it.  

Rice?

Rice is bad.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

Rice is bad.

k....

Well I'd say apple store then...  D:

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Yeah his idea is smarter (ive done the other way and nothing is broke but i'm just some moron and that was probably a terrible idea)

Listen to TDP!

how do I get rid of this stickiness without voiding the warranty? Can I pry the key caps out and clean them? 

Unfortunately, the logic board has several liquid contact indicators (LCIs) that are very likely activated.  Water and everything else in the tea will also leave corrosion and deposits on the board.    

Rice is bad.

I will try the alcohol first. i still got a bottle of it somewhere. As much as I wanted to open the back and have the confidence to do so, i don't really have the tools to do it and I'd rather not mess around the internals just to clean the keyboard.

Unfortunately, the logic board has several liquid contact indicators (LCIs) that are very likely activated.  Water and everything else in the tea will also leave corrosion and deposits on the board.    

Fortunately it was just a few drops/table spoon worth of tea that got spilled and only the centre of the keyboard that got affected.

I will try the alcohol first. i still got a bottle of it somewhere. As much as I wanted to open the back and have the confidence to do so, i don't really have the tools to do it and I'd rather not mess around the internals just to clean the keyboard.

Fortunately it was just a few drops/table spoon worth of tea that got spilled and only the centre of the keyboard that got affected.

Good luck!

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Good.  Maybe you got lucky then.

Good.  Maybe you got lucky then.

It was quite funny that i actually dropped the laptop with the screen fully opened on the carpeted floor while trying to drip the water out. I was so sleepy that time my hands and eyes coordination were totally out of sync. Two big jaw dropping moment in less than 2 minutes. LOL. Luckily it hit a backpack first.