Can IPS be used for gaming?

theam123

Hello guys.

As for my previous experience I've always been told that the respond time (ms) should be as low as possible for gaming. But I fell over this Dell 24" UltraSharp U2414H - IPS panel monitor, and I thought that I'd upgrade my setup with two of those instead of one IPS and on TN with 144hz hz and low respond time.

Now the question is, does it really matters? A TN panel has 1ms respond time plus 144hz, but the IPS has 8ms repsond time and 60hz. I'm not really playing FPS games, and I usually only play games that requires quite a lot of your computer so I bearly get over the 60 fps anyways.

So does it matter? How much of a difference will there be from 1ms to 8ms? And will it be noticeable a lot? 

The reason why I want an IPS instead of the TN is IPS looks so much better than TN.

Thank you.

For sure

Unless you're playing like, professional CSGO or DOTA2/LoL it doesn't really matter too much. I actually ordered one of those a while back. Should be arriving this week :)

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

For sure

So the difference from 1ms to 8ms doesn't really matter?

You really wont notice the difference between a few thousandth of a second

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

the 8ms response time will be noticeable in any game that is a twitch style game like WOW, LOL, and Diablo but in games like starcraft there wont be much difference

especially WOW i had a higher ms monitor back during ICC raiding and during the lich king fight defile would catch me because of the slower response

So the difference from 1ms to 8ms doesn't really matter? 

I updated my post. Check it now :P

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I game on a TN panel simply because it is what I have at my desktop. that being said when I switch to my laptop which is an IPS, the pixel response doesn't bother me, as the input latency is similar.

I have gamed on a 27 inch IPS as well, which is currently running as the "TV" in my kitchen, and it was fantastic for gaming. similar input latency but the color reproduction is worth any imperceptible pixel response time in my opinion

I game on a TN panel simply because it is what I have at my desktop. that being said when I switch to my laptop which is an IPS, the pixel response doesn't bother me, as the input latency is similar.

I have gamed on a 27 inch IPS as well, which is currently running as the "TV" in my kitchen, and it was fantastic for gaming. similar input latency but the color reproduction is worth any imperceptible pixel response time in my opinion

That's what I thought. I just didn't know the difference of 1ms - 8ms. 

I rather have a IPS panel because of the picture quality rather than 1ms TN panel with worse, if the difference from respond time doesn't really matter.

I think I'll go with the IPS panel for gaming. Thanks a lot :)

For me the sharpness and color contrast of an IPS panel will always be worth more than a fast response time TN panel.

Primarily due to the fact that I don't play many online multiplayer FPS games where the response time is needed.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

For me the sharpness and color contrast of an IPS panel will always be worth more than a fast response time TN panel.

Primarily due to the fact that I don't play many online multiplayer FPS games where the response time is needed.

Well the games I'm playing is mainly wow, arma, lol and stuff like that. So not playing any competitive games on a skilled plan at all. Which also is a reason why I don't really see the reason going full ham on a 144hz monitor either, as I really don't reach the full potention of the monitor in games like wow nor arma.

I use an IPS for my gaming, and the better color is worth the added responce time. Its a lot more enjoyable.

Yearh, I thought so too. I was just "afraid" if the respodn time of a IPS panel would ruin the gaming experience

Why couldn't it be used for gaming?

Why couldn't it be used for gaming?

I was thinking if the difference from 1ms to 8ms would be too big of a gab and have a weird gaming experience

Well the games I'm playing is mainly wow, arma, lol and stuff like that. So not playing any competitive games on a skilled plan at all. Which also is a reason why I don't really see the reason going full ham on a 144hz monitor either, as I really don't reach the full potention of the monitor in games like wow nor arma.

If your doing heavy raiding in wow a high ms monitor will be noticeable because of things like fire, defile, or anything you have to dodge

I use an IPS monitor with 7ms and I only notice the response time when I look really hard for it but while gaming I never notice any delay. I play dota 2 btw and don't notice it too.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

The difference between 1 and 8ms is probably too small to notice, but TN panels have much lower input lag, usually 3-4ms total vs 20 or so for IPS. That is noticeable but it isn't that bad unless you play serious FPS.

It's perfectly fine. In fact, I played with a 15" laptop with it's own crappy keyboard and performed fairly well in WC3 Dota. If there have been two major improvements, it's getting a computer that could actually play the game I played with solid framerate (from sub 30 to solid 60) and replacing the old ball mouse with MX518.

All monitors are sort of gaming-ready these days, I haven't seen a display with clear issues (ghosting) since like year 2000. Console games tend to play out with very heavy input lag, and unless you're getting into some specific, new technology with limited use, the input lag or whatever else comes with the monitor won't be "perceivably harmful".

That said, it hasn't prevented me from getting a mechanical keyboard and a different mouse, along with a 120Hz display. Do I prefer this setup? Surely. Could I play with the old stuff? Yeah, as long as the performance is at acceptable levels. I'd say that some of the games would have you perform a bit worse with slower displays but especially single player games are just fine on an IPS. It's just the icing on the cake, getting >5K MMR in Dota 2 doesn't depend on whether if you have a slow IPS or a fast TN.