Help GPU Dead?(Gigabyte R9 290)

IronMarauder

Edit: It was recommended that I put the card into a different PCI slot, so I moved it from the x16 to the x4 slot and now the card is recognized again, but what does that mean about the PCIEX16 slot?

Lets start at the beginning, I built his computer from NCIX's black friday sales. I got around to building it last monday night after I got a case. Since the time I first booted it (early tuesday (2nd) morning) the system has worked fine and dandy no problems whatsoever, until today that is. I booted it up this morning like normal, no problems, I went on to World of Tanks to look at the new events and sales and the garage ran smoothly, so far all good. Then I go leave for work around 1:30, I come home around 8:45, my brother tells me that when he tried to run WoT it could only run it at 10fps on min specs (this system had it running maxed settings at 60fps no problem previously) I turn LoL on and make a custom game, turn on MSI afterburner and discover that in game its only running at 30 fps, I go to MSI afterburner and discover that the top graph being shown is for GPU2 which is the intel onboard graphics, I scroll further down and find out that GPU1 core clocks are running at 0mhz. memory clock is running at 0, memory usage is running at 0. I install gpu-z 0.8.0 (i believe thats the newest version) and it corroborates this information, it also adds that GPU usage is also at 0. On another note, the gpu fans still spin, and I still get throughput to the monitor so I can still use the computer, just not play games. Help I have no idea what happened, don't know what the problem is, and don't know how to fix this. I was proud of the fact I got this machine of mine running on its first try with only a LTT build guide video  for help, this is my first ever build and now I'm disappointed and have no idea what to do. This wasn't the way I wanted to spend my evening after work...

Let me know if I need to add any more info.

Specs

CPU: Intel i5 4590 @3.30 GHz 

GPU: Gigabyte R9 290 clocked at 947MHz

Ram: 8gb of Kingston Hyperex DDr3-1600 CL10 (2x4gb)

PSU: Corsair CX 600M (80+ Bronze)

Storage:

-1TB Seagate Barracude

-120gb Kingston SSDnow 

Mobo: Gigabyte H97-D3H (rev 1.0) 

BIOS info: American Megatrends inc. F5, 2014-06-26

My PC: CPU: Intel i5 4590, @3.30GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte H97-D3H, GPU: Gigabyte AMD R9290, PSU: Corsair CX 600M RAM: Kingston HyperX 2X4GB 1600 CL 10, Storage: Kingston SSDNow 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB,  Case: Cooler Master 690 III

Test the video card in another pci-e slot on the motherboard.  Also you can check the video card temps.  Run those games you guys were playing gain and check temps as you play them.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Test the video card in another pci-e slot on the motherboard.  Also you can check the video card temps.  Run those games you guys were playing gain and check temps as you play them.

I moved the GPU from the PCIEX16 to the PCIEX4 slot, it appears to be working again, though the memory clock is now bouncing between 1250 and 150MHz and the core clock is  bouncing between the 300-450 range, is that normal? What is the problem in this case? Is it a mobo problem? Is there any way to do further testing to confirm?

My PC: CPU: Intel i5 4590, @3.30GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte H97-D3H, GPU: Gigabyte AMD R9290, PSU: Corsair CX 600M RAM: Kingston HyperX 2X4GB 1600 CL 10, Storage: Kingston SSDNow 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB,  Case: Cooler Master 690 III

Have you tried running the pc without the video card?  Use the onboard video HD 4600 and see how the pc performs. I am talking just to see over a significant period of time say 24 hrs to see if the other hardware is stable.  Also if the psu is acting up you could check that by using a multimeter.  I can't tell you exactly what to do as I have never use the one I got but I know there are others on here who can help you with that.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Reinstall the drivers for the card.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

Reinstall the drivers for the card.

I had already done that and there was no change.

I had already done that and there was no c

hmmm question for you, when you downloaded the drivers, did you get them from this website ---> http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4962#dl . If so, did you install the intel VGA Driver?

If this post helped you, mark it as solved and give it a like - Always like seeing when someones issue has been solved. :)

hmmm question for you, when you downloaded the drivers, did you get them from this website ---> http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4962#dl . If so, did you install the intel VGA Driver?

I believe I did, why?

do you think it would be a good idea to send a support ticket into gigabyte for this?

I believe I did, why?

Uninstall the intel VGA driver, uninstall the graphics driver of your dedicated graphics card. Reboot. Put your graphics card back into the first PCIE slot, re install your graphics driver for your dedicated card, DO NOT RE INSTALL THE INTEL VGA DRIVER!!! Boot up a games, and see if you get the same fps that you did before.

If this post helped you, mark it as solved and give it a like - Always like seeing when someones issue has been solved. :)

Uninstall the intel VGA driver, uninstall the graphics driver of your dedicated graphics card. Reboot. Put your graphics card back into the first PCIE slot, re install your graphics driver for your dedicated card, DO NOT RE INSTALL THE INTEL VGA DRIVER!!! Boot up a games, and see if you get the same fps that you did before.

Just finished those steps, and everything seems to be working normally again, thanks. What do you think caused the issue?

Just finished those steps, and everything seems to be working normally again, thanks. What do you think caused the issue?

Most likely a conflict with drivers. When you have a dedicated graphics card, there is no need to install an intel VGA driver. You will always, and only be using the dedicated graphics card.

Most likely a conflict with drivers. When you have a dedicated graphics card, there is no need to install an intel VGA driver. You will always, and only be using the dedicated graphics card.

Thanks for the help