Okay so how would I go about doing this?

yourdad165

I want to move all necessary files to my external hard drive, which I know how to do. However I want to erase every drive on my computer completely and install Windows 10 as my main OS on my SSD. How do I format a HDD without an OS?

1. Why would you want to install windows 10 Preview? I hope you are not planning on using it as a daily driver on your main PC...

2. You could just install something like Zorin on a USB. The thing is you can't format without an OS, but you will most likely get the option to do it while installing the new OS. (only for the drive that the OS will be on)

You should know this if you are planning on using windows 10.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

1. Why would you want to install windows 10 Preview? I hope you are not planning on using it as a daily driver on your main PC...

2. You could just install something like Zorin on a USB.

Ubuntu.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Ubuntu.

That is virtually the same

http://zorin-os.com/

Zorin is just more like windows because of the UI, and I have used both Ubuntu 14 (school) and Zorin 9 (Home)

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

2. You could just install something like Zorin on a USB. The thing is you can't format without an OS, but you will most likely get the option to do it while installing the new OS. (only for the drive that the OS will be on)

You should know this if you are planning on using windows 10.

Yeah I am, because I have intentions of actually purchasing a legal copy when it's fully released. I have a legal copy of WIndows 7 that I was going to revert to but I can't go back to WIndows 7 after trying out 10.

Zorin is just more like windows because of the UI, and I have used both Ubuntu 14 (school) and Zorin 9 (Home)

I just want to know how to format HDDs and SSDs without an OS. Can I do it through my bios or something and then just install Windows 10 through a USB or my external hard drive?

Yeah I am, because I have intentions of actually purchasing a legal copy when it's fully released. I have a legal copy of WIndows 7 that I was going to revert to but I can't go back to WIndows 7 after trying out 10.

I would strictly recommend not using windows 10 at all right now. It is not optimized in the slightest.

I just want to know how to format HDDs and SSDs without an OS. Can I do it through my bios or something and then just install Windows 10 through a USB or my external hard drive?

You are planning on installing windows 10 on "Device 1" (example), every OS installer I know of allows/requires for the "Device 1" to be formatted.

That should be clear enough, all you need to do is format everything else, then just install Windows 10 on the last drive to be formatted.

EDIT: Also what the guy above said, Windows 10 in only a tech preview ATM, it is not meant to be fully functional. You are asking to fly in the new prototype of a F-22, it looks good and all that, but it simply doesn't work outside air shows.

I'd stick with the F15C...

Spoiler

I would strictly recommend not using windows 10 at all right now. It is not optimized in the slightest.

I've been using it since it's early release and I haven't had one problem. 

You are planning on installing windows 10 on "Device 1" (example), every OS installer I know of allows/requires for the "Device 1" to be formatted.

That should be clear enough, all you need to do is format everything else, then just install Windows 10 on the last drive to be formatted.

EDIT: Also what the guy above said, Windows 10 in only a tech preview ATM, it is not meant to be fully functional. You are asking to fly in the new prototype of a F-22, it looks good and all that, but it simply doesn't work outside air shows.

I'd stick with the F15C...

So what you're saying is...

- Use SSD to wipe all HDDs

- Install OS on 1 HDD

- Format SSD on HDD

- Install Windows on SSD

- Wipe HDD

Is this correct?

I doubt it.

I doubt it.

I can honestly say that I can't recall one problem that occurred. It doesn't matter because I'm going to update to the full release as soon as it's available.

- Install OS on 1 HDD

- Format SSD on HDD

- Install Windows on SSD

- Wipe HDD

Is this correct?

Use the current OS to wipe all drives except the boot drive, then install the new OS on the boot drive.

- Install OS on 1 HDD

- Format SSD on HDD

- Install Windows on SSD

- Wipe HDD

Is this correct?

1. Format all drives except for the SSD (SSD contains your old OS right?) .

2. Format SSD whilst installing windows 10 on to the SSD.

There should be an option to format the SSD in the installer, might be hidden behind advanced settings.

Spoiler

Use the current OS to wipe all drives except the boot drive, then install the new OS on the boot drive.

The current OS is on the boot drive though.

1. Format all drives except for the SSD.

2. Format SSD whilst installing windows 10 on to the SSD.

There should be an option to format the SSD in the installer, might be hidden behind advanced settings.

Okay cool, thanks.

Why not just install windows 10 on a virtual box theirs no point in using it as a daily driver now, because like other people have said it's to optimized at all right now and is still in it's early stages of dev.

Also expect crashes and then more crashes and then more and more and more and more until you eventually get board of restarting and well this  :angry:

I really hope you know more than you are letting onto. The tech preview was never intended to be use an actual daily driver, I think you are making a big mistake, I just hope you still have your WIN 7 key some place safe...

EDIT:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-technical-preview-trial/

Spoiler

did not know that.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I really hope you know more than you are letting onto. The tech preview was never intended to be use an actual daily driver, I think you are making a big mistake, I just hope you still have your WIN 7 key some place safe...

I have my Windows 7 key, but with Windows 7 I can't have two different desktop backgrounds for each monitor and separate taskbars. So for that reason I can't go back to Windows 7, and I know 8 has those features but I do not like 8 at all. I literally cannot seem to figure out how to navigate 8 no matter how hard I try.

I'm sure you know, but you won't be able to upgrade your Windows 10 preview to a legitimate version, you'll have to start again from scratch.

Whereas you will be able to upgrade Win 8.1 (and most likely 7) to Windows 10.

I have my Windows 7 key, but with Windows 7 I can't have two different desktop backgrounds for each monitor and separate taskbars. So for that reason I can't go back to Windows 7, and I know 8 has those features but I do not like 8 at all. I literally

Use display fusion, or Actual Mutliple Monitors or another 3rd Party solution.

I'm sure you know, but you won't be able to upgrade your Windows 10 preview to a legitimate version, you'll have to start again from scratch.

Whereas you will be able to upgrade Win 8.1 (and most likely 7) to Windows 10.

Use display fusion, or Actual Mutliple Monitors or another 3rd Party solution.

Yeah but that's a constant process running in the background all the time...

I have my Windows 7 key, but with Windows 7 I can't have two different desktop backgrounds for each monitor and separate taskbars. So for that reason I can't go back to Windows 7, and I know 8 has those features but I do not like 8 at all. I literally cannot seem to figure out how to navigate 8 no matter how hard I try.

Why not just ask us to help you find a solution to that?

Seriously, if that is all that is keeping you from 7 then just ask for advice on that. I am going to sleep however, I will not assist further.

EDIT: There are plenty of ways to change the UI in windows 7, there are not options for that in windows 10. Even Linux is a better option for you as opposed to windows 10, that would have all the Windows 10 features years ago and more.

Spoiler

The current OS is on the boot drive though.

I'm well aware of that

Yeah but that's a constant process running in the background all the time...

And you think it's not constantly running in the background on Windows? Yes, it's a little less inefficient and DisplayFusion in particular is bloatware, but get something like AMM and there will be no perceptible performance hit. Though I use DisllayFusion on my 6 monitor setup (Win 8) and notice no loss in performance".

Or use Windows 8 and set it up to look and function like Windows 7.

Is a moronic reason to switch to a beta software with a limited shelf life.