iPod alternative

Mkfish

Hey LTT'ers. I decided to buy my partner a new mp3 player for Christmas as she left her iPod in Australia (derp).

She doesn't want a new iPod as she has since seen the light and doesn't want to be tied to iTunes/Apple Ecosystem so can you guys help recommend me an alternative?

I'm sorting of looking at devices like this:

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nwz-f886

I have around £200 is about give or take £50 depending how good the device is.

Side note: she doesn't like using her phone as an MP3 player as I have suggested countless times. She wants a dedicated device, so that's what she'll get haha.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

This is ancient territory to me as the last MP3 player I owned was a Creative Zen Touch 20gb back in like 2005.. so yeah.

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

Out of curiosity why is she against using her phone? O_o

Can't help you with your problem since I've been using my phone as my music device for years. :P

Hey LTT'ers. I decided to buy my partner a new mp3 player for Christmas as she left her iPod in Australia (derp).

She doesn't want a new iPod as she has since seen the light and doesn't want to be tied to iTunes/Apple Ecosystem so can you guys help recommend me an alternative?

I'm sorting of looking at devices like this:

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nwz-f886

I have around £200 is about give or take £50 depending how good the device is.

Side note: she doesn't like using her phone as an MP3 player as I have suggested countless times. She wants a dedicated device, so that's what she'll get haha.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

This is ancient territory to me as the last MP3 player I owned was a Creative Zen Touch 20gb back in like 2005.. so yeah.

Pretty much anything by a reputable brand will work fine these days. Sony makes good ones.

Can't help you with your problem since I've been using my phone as my music device for years. :P

This is my question. Unless she doesnt have a phone, I would highly reccomend using the money towards a new phone that does have MP3 capabilities, even if it's just a more basic phone. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Amen, I too have only used my phone as my primary music device for the last forever.. however, she only has a Moto G first gen phone so it has no expansion card for tons of music.

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

Amen, I too have only used my phone as my primary music device for the last forever.. however, she only has a Moto G first gen phone so it has no expansion card for tons of music.

:o Shoulda got the 4G model. :\

Meh, I don't like Apple products but their Ipods are the one product I will always buy. I'm getting a new touch on the unfortunate day that the Gen 3 I have now dies.

A separate music player is an absolute must for anyone who listens to music for more than 50% of their day. My phone's battery drains fast enough as it is without me using it to feed my music addiction.

@OP give the Sandisk Sansa Clip a look.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

:o Shoulda got the 4G model. :\

It wasn't availble when she bought the phone :(

Meh, I don't like Apple products but their Ipods are the one product I will always buy. I'm getting a new touch on the unfortunate day that the Gen 3 I have now dies.

A separate music player is an absolute must for anyone who listens to music for more than 50% of their day. My phone's battery drains fast enough as it is without me using it to feed my music addiction.

@OP give the Sandisk Sansa Clip a look.

Yeah I whole heartedly agree with you there, my music is on constantly when I am out and about and generally it rinses my phones battery life.

Does Zune still make good MP3 players? If so, go with Zune...

PLEASE QUOTE ME WHEN YOU REPLY TO MY POSTS, thank you.

eeh, Zune, Sansa, stuff like that

My mom doesn't like using her daily driver phone to listen to music for whatever reason, but her friend gave her an HTC Desire C to use for music and she's perfectly happy with using that.

"Rawr XD"

The Sansa Clip is a great choice. Another good option is the Fiio X1: http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-X1-Hi-Res-MP3-Player-Silver/dp/B00MWWE6WW

Fiio is famous for making good quality budget audiophile products like amplifiers and music players. 

Core i5 3470 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ | Kingston 8GB DDR3 (1600Mhz) | Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V LGA1155 | Asus Geforce GTX 670 2GB DirectCUII OC | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATAIII | LITEON 24x DVD-RW | Cooler Master Silent Pro M600W | Xigmatek Midgard II Window | Logitech G100 Gaming Keyboard | LG 23" IPS234V | Edifier M1380 | Bravo Audio Ocean Tube Amp | Sennheiser HD600 | Sansa Clip+ | Yamaha EPH-100

That walkman is a good one...

It's also running android so it's more than a music player...

This reminds me, do they still make the Galaxy Player? I remember when it came out, there was a somewhat sizeable amount of hype about it but outside of Best Buy, I have yet to see one.

This reminds me, do they still make the Galaxy Player? I remember when it came out, there was a somewhat sizeable amount of hype about it but outside of Best Buy, I have yet to see one.

No not anymore. At this point it'd be quite a bit cheaper to get a Moto E + a MicroSD card then if they were to continue making the Galaxy Players

"Rawr XD"