Is this a good build for 1000EUR?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Micro Center)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master RR-T4-18PK-R1 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($14.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.98 @ OutletPC)

Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($87.97 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($339.50 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $925.41

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-07 16:34 EST-0500

Ignore the Prices, pcpartpicker doesn't find good prices for Germany :/ But all this woll cost me arround 1000€

So.. Looks like a solid build to me.

Anything I could improve?

Also any ideas regarding what case i should buy?

Edit: Forgot to say that this is obviously meant for gaming. I guess good fps @ 1080p in the newest games shouldn't be a problem for the gtx970.

Should I stick with the windforce 3x or spend some more money and buy a gaming g1? I'd go with an Asus strix but they're like 460 Euros in Germany now -.-

Updated parts list.  You did not include mass storage in the price.  The memory you had chosen is kinda unnecessary.  Do save to get the Asus or the Windforce.

Parts list.

sold

Its a pretty good build, but id get a solid 500-600 watt psu, that one is overkill.

Maybe go with a WD blue, red or black?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Updated parts list. You did not include mass storage in the price. The memory you had chosen is kinda unnecessary. Do save to get the Asus or the Windforce.

Parts list.

It didn't find a price for the HDD i chose but I can get a 2TB Hitachi Deskstar with 7200rpm for 69.99€

Also i can get the RAM i chose for 74.41€

(As I said, pcpartpicker prices don't really work well for Germany. It won't even find prices for GTX970s)

The Asus 970 Strix is too expensive over here at 447.23€ :/

I'm considering getting the Gigabyte Windforce 3x (329.85€) or Gigabyte Gaming G1 (346.65€)

@coen113

I know it's a bit overkill but I chose it based on recommendations and reviews. I also likr how it's fully modular, which my current psu doesn't, and has those nice black sleeved cables. As far as I know there is no lower wattage supernova g2 :/ Is there something in particular you'd recommend?

It didn't find a price for the HDD i chose but I can get a 2TB Hitachi Deskstar with 7200rpm for 69.99€

Also i can get the RAM i chose for 74.41€

(As I said, pcpartpicker prices don't really work well for Germany. It won't even find prices for GTX970s)

The Asus 970 Strix is too expensive over here at 447.23€ :/

I'm considering getting the Gigabyte Windforce 3x (329.85€) or Gigabyte Gaming G1 (346.65€)

@coen113

I know it's a bit overkill but I chose it based on recommendations and reviews. I also likr how it's fully modular, which my current psu doesn't, and has those nice black sleeved cables. As far as I know there is no lower wattage supernova g2 :/ Is there something in particular you'd recommend?

The 750W is indeed the lowest wattage for the Supernova G2 models. 

Do you plan on adding a 2nd 970 in the future ?

The 750W is indeed the lowest wattage for the Supernova G2 models.

Do you plan on adding a 2nd 970 in the future ?

I don't know wether I'll add a second one. If gaming at above 1080p becomes that much of a thing in the near future I might just do that.

Actually that's a good reason to stick with this PSU. A potential SLI setup :)

Another thing i need some input on:

i5 4690k vs i7 4790k

The 4790k is 100€ more expensive than it's i5 counterpart the 4690k.

Will future games make enough use of hyperthreading for the 4790k to buy? This is really just a gaming rig, no video editing, no rendering or 3D modeling, no streaming to twitch..

The 4790K is for things like editing, rendering etc. The i5 4690K and the i7 4790K both use hyperthreading and both have 4 cores, the only major difference is that the i7 is faster in the GHz.

Expert procrastinator.

I don't know wether I'll add a second one. If gaming at above 1080p becomes that much of a thing in the near future I might just do that.

Actually that's a good reason to stick with this PSU. A potential SLI setup :)

Another thing i need some input on:

i5 4690k vs i7 4790k

The 4790k is 100€ more expensive than it's i5 counterpart the 4690k.

Will future games make enough use of hyperthreading for the 4790k to buy? This is really just a gaming rig, no video editing, no rendering or 3D modeling, no streaming to twitch..

The G2 750W is a great psu.

You could also look at the Superflower Leadex Gold psu's as they may or may not be cheaper than the EVGA.

They both share the same platform and Manufacturer (Superflower). The Leadex Gold comes in a 650W version as well.

I would stick with an i5. You can always upgrade to an i7 when it is needed.

The 4790K is for things like editing, rendering etc. The i5 4690K and the i7 4790K both use hyperthreading and both have 4 cores, the only major difference is that the i7 is faster in the GHz.

The i5 doesn't have Hyperthreading.

The G2 750W is a great psu.

You could also look at the Superflower Leadex Gold psu's as they may or may not be cheaper than the EVGA.

They both share the same platform and Manufacturer (Superflower). The Leadex Gold comes in a 650W version as well.

I would stick with an i5. You can always upgrade to an i7 when it is needed.

Thanks a lot for the tip. The 650w superflower leadex gold is 110€ compared to the 116€ the 750w evga supernova g2 costs. So I'll guess I go with the evga.

The i5 doesn't have Hyperthreading.

Oh yeah, but even then, for gaming, Hyperthreading will do next to nothing.

Expert procrastinator.

Hello,

I'm going to buy a build in about the same range of price as yours soon. I'm from France, and was wondering where you intend to buy your parts. Like Amazon, newegg directly, local retailer, ... 

By the way, thanks for noticing this mobo, it looks so great and comes at a really decent price, love it.

Hello,

I'm going to buy a build in about the same range of price as yours soon. I'm from France, and was wondering where you intend to buy your parts. Like Amazon, newegg directly, local retailer, ...

By the way, thanks for noticing this mobo, it looks so great and comes at a really decent price, love it.

Got the Gigabyte GTX970 Gaming G1 for 346€ on notebooksbilliger.de

The cpu and psu on german Amazon

And everything else from Mindfactory.de

France probably has their own amazon and I don't know wether mindfactory and notebooksbilliger ship to France. Do you have any good tech retailers in France?

I know, but I meant will your performance benefit from hyperthreading in the future. A year or two from now.

Not really, if you consider how long it took for dual core to go to quad core, and quad core only game in recently on new games, I doubt games will take advantage of more threads. I am not a fortune-teller, though, anything is possible.

Expert procrastinator.

looks-good-to-me.jpg

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |