Dead HDD?

SlayerOfHellWyrm
Go to solution Solved by SlayerOfHellWyrm,

Sorry about the huge delay. I had new parts on order, since I finally got paid, and things are fine now. Old drive was most certainly dying since the drive was sitting at 0% fragmentation once I had it up and running, and within an hour was right back to 15%.

Now running a 250GB 840 Evo mSATA as my boot drive, and for main programs and VM's. RAM got boosted to 16GB, and I added a 2TB Samsung Spinpoint HDD for mass storage. Thanks for all the help though guys, was pretty sure it was a dead/dying drive, and I know it certainly was now.

Synopsis:

Blue screened twice in a practical exam, kind of screwed for the rest of them.

HDD hit 100% useage, then crashd spittin gout kernel_data_inpage_error.

ActiveSMART says the drive is healthy, but has almost 500 bad blocks, and the number seems to increase a small amount every crash.

Laptop is only a year old.

Don't have a Windows 8 disc to do a re-install.

What in the hell could be causing this?

BSOD 1 and 2 (Saved as a txt through BlueScreenView)

https://mega.co.nz/#!QNBzAI5Y!iTGBptzBvCI0gdiRTCQHFz50BvTuvVWucXdko2r6oKE

https://mega.co.nz/#!IVwQlCKK!1-IfQpLptlzrfMO2k_3bElquCAGn75vPrl30LuHLSuQ

Stupid part is, the problem seems to be intermittent, like... I have no issues currently, my drive is fine, but every few hours now, it seems to completely lock up, and bluescreens, and most of the time, it's not even creating a dump.

I don't know what to do. I'd like to go out and buy W8, and a 500GB SSD and nuke this thing, but I don't have the case for either by themselves even.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

You're using your pagefile, and the drive isn't fast enough to keep up with the kernel's request for data I/O. Remove the pagefile and you should be fine.

You're using your pagefile, and the drive isn't fast enough to keep up with the kernel's request for data I/O. Remove the pagefile and you should be fine.

Can't. My practicals require running VM's, which need to page. Without the page file, I can't run both VM's, I simply don't have enough RAM.

(8GB RAM, 6 given to VMWare, Exchange VM requires 4GB, and the W7 requires 1.5)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Defragment it (I recommend Defragler)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

Tried. Sits at, currently, 12%, and doesn't ever change. I'm pretty sure my drive is just dead after like a year, which is bullshit.

if SMART isn't giving any errors, your drive is fine, you simply just need to install more RAM.

I would recommend a ssd, especially if you're running VMs and an upgrade to more RAM. You cannot work properly like this.

I had to mod my laptop and remove the dvd drive bay. So I put my ssd in main chamber and put my second hdd there..

You could always use usb flash drive and put any ISO there.

PC1 = i7 4790k  -  Asus Z97 Mark1  -  Corsair Dominator 32GB kit  -  Evga GTX 780Ti SC x2 SLI  -  SSD 512GB x2  -  12TB NAS  -  Carbide Air540  -  24" 120Hz x2 3D ready  -  Corsair K95 + M95
Custom Watercooling loop with low profile radiators / fans

PC2 = i7 4770k  -  Z97 Maximus VII Hero  -  16 GB kit  -  Evga GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  -  Graphite 760T  -  24" VE248 x2  -  Corsair K70RGB + M90 

With that many Bad blocks, you likely just have a bad drive. Look for "victoria" HDD test. SMART doesn't always tell the whole story, as you have already found with the bad blocks.

Most drives are covered under drive manufacturers warranty, for 2-3 years. Pull it out and send it in for an RMA. 

You will need an install disk (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/f/download-windows-8.htm), but you may be able to find your key on the bottom or in your registry (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/windows-8-product-key.htm).

Good luck!

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

we had a nearly as worse situation on another desktop, we put the os and newer games on the SSD and the other things on an older 320GB laptop drive and now its running smooth and lag free.

With that many Bad blocks, you likely just have a bad drive. Look for "victoria" HDD test. 

Most drives are covered under drive manufacturers warranty, for 2-3 years. Pull it out and send it in for an RMA. 

You will need an install disk (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/f/download-windows-8.htm), but you may be able to find your key on the bottom or in your registry (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/windows-8-product-key.htm).

Good luck!

Can't, need the laptop to at least attemp my practicals and pray to god it works As for the key, I may be able to jack it from the registry, or via MagicJellyBean, but I still don't have a disc, or a USB large enough to put an ISO on it, if I could find one.

if SMART isn't giving any errors, your drive is fine, you simply just need to install more RAM.

The drive is not fine. It shouldn't a) have like 500 bad blocks, and b ) already said I'm basically broke and can't do that and c) it was sudden. Hours before hand, I was running the same VM's without issue doing the practice practical, then it shit itself, and now the disc will randomly hit 100%, even when nothing is running, and nothing is paged

I would recommend a ssd, especially if you're running VMs and an upgrade to more RAM. You cannot work properly like this.

I had to mod my laptop and remove the dvd drive bay. So I put my ssd in main chamber and put my second hdd there..

You could always use usb flash drive and put any ISO there.

I already know this... I have plans to swap things out, but I don't have the cash to do so, I also don't have enough time to do it, and have everything I need up an running for the practical tomorrow. As for the ISO, I don't have a drive large enough, nor any idea of where to get one, since MS doesn't supply a W8 ISO like they've done with XP/Vista/7

Can't, need the laptop to at least attemp my practicals and pray to god it works As for the key, I may be able to jack it from the registry, or via MagicJellyBean, but I still don't have a disc, or a USB large enough to put an ISO on it, if I could find one.

The drive is not fine. It shouldn't a) have like 500 bad blocks, and b ) already said I'm basically broke and can't do that and c) it was sudden. Hours before hand, I was running the same VM's without issue doing the practice practical, then it shit itself, and now the disc will randomly hit 100%, even when nothing is running, and nothing is paged

I already know this... I have plans to swap things out, but I don't have the cash to do so, I also don't have enough time to do it, and have everything I need up an running for the practical tomorrow. As for the ISO, I don't have a drive large enough, nor any idea of where to get one, since MS doesn't supply a W8 ISO like they've done with XP/Vista/7

they do, download microsoft mediacreation tool, it lets you download the iso of the windwos you choose

since MS doesn't supply a W8 ISO like they've done with XP/Vista/7

Also, if you can talk to your school / computer science department, they might have some keys for students.

Computer Science Programs' Department - Microsoft DreamSpark (for academic institutions) Premium, for the period of your studies, it should provide you any software from MS + working keys.

I know some schools have limited budget but they should try or provide any material to help students. for 300$/year, the whole departement and students have access to MS softwares as long as it's not meant to do business but for academic purpose.

Try to convince the head's supervisor/teacher. And don't listen to him if he tells you that students should buy their own licences...

Or you could go the dark way and find some torrents and cracks...

PC1 = i7 4790k  -  Asus Z97 Mark1  -  Corsair Dominator 32GB kit  -  Evga GTX 780Ti SC x2 SLI  -  SSD 512GB x2  -  12TB NAS  -  Carbide Air540  -  24" 120Hz x2 3D ready  -  Corsair K95 + M95
Custom Watercooling loop with low profile radiators / fans

PC2 = i7 4770k  -  Z97 Maximus VII Hero  -  16 GB kit  -  Evga GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  -  Graphite 760T  -  24" VE248 x2  -  Corsair K70RGB + M90 

Fragmented drives wouldn't cause BSODs.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

http://www.intowindows.com/download-windows-8-iso-from-microsoft-using-product-key

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the huge delay. I had new parts on order, since I finally got paid, and things are fine now. Old drive was most certainly dying since the drive was sitting at 0% fragmentation once I had it up and running, and within an hour was right back to 15%.

Now running a 250GB 840 Evo mSATA as my boot drive, and for main programs and VM's. RAM got boosted to 16GB, and I added a 2TB Samsung Spinpoint HDD for mass storage. Thanks for all the help though guys, was pretty sure it was a dead/dying drive, and I know it certainly was now.