Did the GeForce 320.18 driver kill my gpu?

KoolKaboom
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

Roll back your driver.

Go to Start>>type in Device Manager and hit Enter>>Find your video card in display adapters>>Right click and click properties>>Driver tab>>Roll back driver.

Post back your results.

So I just finished watching the livestream, and the geforce 320.18 whql driver was mentioned a few times in the twitter Q&A by people saying that it killed their gpu. I have been having problems with my gpu for about 3 weeks now, and was wondering what the problem was. My games have not been performing too well, even doing litterally everything suggested to me about optimus gpu laptop. I just want to know If anyone knows If my gpu is dead or just having some random problems.

I can usually run borderlands 2 on pretty high settings with vsync without any problems, but now it is barely playable at the bare minimum (like 240p bare minimum). It is as if the game is running through my integrated graphics card and not my dedicated one... (hint: I'm pretty sure it is)

Specs:

Alienware m14x (not the problem, save yourself the trouble and don't make the joke)

555m 1.5gb with optimus

i7 2630qm

6 gb of 1600 ram (1x4 and 1x2)

The sad part is that I didn't mean to download the driver, it was automatic from when a friend recommended the GeForce Experience.Yesterday I got MSI afterburner to try overclocking to see if it did anything, but when I looked at the stats, the gpu usage stayed at 0%, no matter what I did. could be an error because it is a mobile card, but all of the other stats were responding.

Also before somebody types in the typical "manage 3d settings" or "Nvidia control panel" or Battery removal or anything like that, I have tried it and it didn't work.

If I forgot any information or have any guesses of a possible solution, or even just know what the problem is (like a dead gpu), please tell me down below. It's almost summer and I would like to play some games.

Also, is there a way to revert to previous drivers?

Roll back your driver.

Go to Start>>type in Device Manager and hit Enter>>Find your video card in display adapters>>Right click and click properties>>Driver tab>>Roll back driver.

Post back your results.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Roll back your driver.

Post back your results.

This fixed my problems almost completely, It reset my driver back to one from the borderlands 2 launch (idk why, I have a more recent one), but my games are actually running. I'm going to download the 2nd newest driver later tonight, thanks for helping. I don't know why this hasn't been fixed, there have been multiple reports of gpus dying because of this, you would think a warning or an updated driver to fix the problem would have happened by now (the driver was realeased about 3 weeks ago). Anyways, thanks for your help, I marked your post as solved.

Is Borderlands 2 running the way it should be?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This fixed my problems almost completely, It reset my driver back to one from the borderlands 2 launch (idk why, I have a more recent one), but my games are actually running. I'm going to download the 2nd newest driver later tonight, thanks for helping. I don't know why this hasn't been fixed, there have been multiple reports of gpus dying because of this, you would think a warning or an updated driver to fix the problem would have happened by now (the driver was realeased about 3 weeks ago). Anyways, thanks for your help, I marked your post as solved.

If installing the 2nd latest driver (314.22 if i remember correctly) doesn't work perhaps you can try uninstalling the graphics driver entirely in safe mode then reinstalling them back on also in safe mode.

Blue Nebula = CPU: Intel i7 4770K @Stock || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 || RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance LP || GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti Superclocked @Stock || Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero || SSD: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro || HDD: 4x2TB WD Black in Raid10 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i || Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced || Keyboard: Corsair K70 (MX Blues) || Mouse: Corsair M95 || Mousepad: Razer Goliathus 2013 Extended Speed || Monitors: Eizo Foris FS2333 + Old Samsung monitor || Headset: Beyerdynamic MMX2 || =>My Youtube Gaming Channel<= || =>My Twitch.tv Channel<=

Hi . i have  been using 320.18  driver from NVIDIA on a  GeForce GTX 560 .. i didn't play a lot of game recently to stress the GPU .(only Photoshop and some HTML editors)..  and its working OK

screen shot:> https://www.dropbox.com/s/9v1vyklbyk8a29t/screenShot.jpg 

and today i was playing some games and doing some work.. no issues. could it be that older Cards are the issue or power spikes could affected your card..if you have a system...

ass well for notebooks .. hmm that is another issue .. possible overheat could have caused the failure.. make some research on this..  it could help! i had a 8800GT and Gpu  failed .. and could fix it whit taking of the heat sink and heating a gpu whit a heat gun.