Raidmax PSU, Do I Have a Ticking Time Bomb?

vanwazltoff

I bought my first Raidmax PSU a year and a half ago and it hasnt let me down, I made sure it had all the protections [OCP, OVP, OPP, UVP, SCP] and 80+ gold efficiency. Back then the particular model I bought was reasonably high rated. Below is the first Raidmax I bought

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152043

After glancing at this I am wondering how bad it really is

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

I recently bought another Raidmax after being satisfied with my first, I was trying to get another brand but I failed to find anything that really caught my attention and fit my max length specs. I took a quick look at the interiors and it doesnt look like cheap components, nothing is exposed and there is a lot of heat shrink internally which is typically a good sign. It doesnt look or feel cheap in the slightest.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152040

That article is getting me worried

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Keeping in mind that I haven't used RaidMax but looking at the customer reviews vs what a couple of google searches have turned up, especially relating to forums, I will say this. RaidMax like a lot of companies seems to be over-exaggerated in their reputation. The customers have written reviews stating that it is working for them and that they're happy with it yet everyone bashes them on forums, have those people used one? People I notice on forums tend to see someone's opinion and then jump on the bandwagon of "this is great" or "this is garbage" without even testing the product.

I honestly wouldn't be too worried, there are a lot of happy people using that PSU.

What rig do you have it running?
my 850w 80+ gold is running an i5-2500k and 6670 and about 4-5 hdds, i would use it in my new itx system but i had space constraints, the itx system has the 500w 80+ bronze with i5-3570k and gtx 670 and 2-3 hard drives

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Wow my msg keeps getting deleted when I look at other web pages. Anyway as I was saying I have never used a raidmax psu, but with it being 80+ certified I do not see why they would be terrible. They even have rosewill on the list, but I know a few ppl that have those psu for a couple of years and they are running strong. I've also seen XFX have this bad stigma at times as well.

Raidmax might be like Hyundai where they used to suck, but are now making some pretty awesome cars =P

Overclocks? Only way I could see there being a problem is if you ran the GPU and CPU at full power draw, but otherwise you're probably fine.

That's probably, not definitely.

i dont have my 2500k up very high but i have got it up there, i run it at 4.4ghz. my 3570k i got it to 4.8ghz stable but i run it at 4.6ghz for better temps, i have no need to OC my gtx 670

Here's a review of the 1000w variant of that unit.

It's essentially an Andyson rebrand, (unsuprisingly) closer to an 80+ Bronze unit with meh quality. It's not going to blow up or anything (at least with any single-GPU config), though it's not a great unit either. I'd say it's fine for now, though I wouldn't recommend getting another one of them.

ill check the caps on my 850 and look for any signs of degradation because i have had it for 1.5 years, if its prefailure itll physically show