Tablet for Uni (w/ Digitizer!)

Kyshu

Hello! :)

I started Uni this Fall, and I am planning on getting a notebook/tablet. Now, I want a tablet/convertible, because I'd like to be able to take notes with the device using OneNote (or similar programs?).

I have been looking at a Surface Pro 3 (with a student discount the cheapest model would be €720 (w/o the keyboard of course)), but I would like to hear what you guys think about it, especially because the price is rather high, and I would like to see if there are options out there that would be cheaper, but not compromise on too many aspects.

Requirements are a good digitizer (no capacitive stylus!) and a decent screen (both things I liked a lot when trying out a classmate's SP3). Performance isn't the top priority, as I already have a powerful enough machine sitting here at home, gaming is out of question as well :P.

Personal opinions are of course welcome, especially if you're a student yourself, as uni work is what I will be using this thing the most for.

TL;DR: I need a convertible/tablet for uni, what offers me the best price/usability ratio with the features I listed (I've been eyeing the SP3)?

Thanks in advance, Kyshu

EDIT: Also, tell me if you need more info!

Love my Surface Pro 3, couldn't be happier

I write all my notes on it and stuff

The other option is the Duo 13, which is substantially worse.

Compatible with Windows 95

Yeah, with digitizer Surface is the best.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Love my Surface Pro 3, couldn't be happier

I write all my notes on it and stuff

The other option is the Duo 13, which is substantially worse.

The Duo 13 also seems to be substantially more expensive, right? (If I'm not looking at the wrong article, I am a little tired, hehe)

Can be cheaper, can be more expensive (they don't sell them in Europe any more)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-13-3-inch-Touchsceen-Laptop-White/dp/B00HQGZ49I/

Okay, I was looking at the wrong one then, haha.

You mentioned in your review that you were frustrated about Office not being included with it. I do get the full office suite (including OneNote) through my Uni (woo!), so that is not the case for me. After 3 months, is there anything you would add to your review, positive or negative?

Also, to everyone else, do you have something to add? :)

Okay, I was looking at the wrong one then, haha.

You mentioned in your review that you were frustrated about Office not being included with it. I do get the full office suite (including OneNote) through my Uni (woo!), so that is not the case for me. After 3 months, is there anything you would add to your review, positive or negative?

Also, to everyone else, do you have something to add? :)

Well, the down arrow on my type cover is a bit naf, as is the power button, don't worry, they both work fine, it's just me really.

I would also recommend using the touch versions of OneNote and Internet Explorer as well as buying a pack of AAAA batteries (Yes, AAAA) don't worry they don't run out quickly but you don't want to get caught short. I still have my first one going, but you do have to un-screw the pen and then re-screw it on occasion

Oh yeah, and buy a full cover too, it gets scratched (or more specifically, the back does)

The glass is a little thin, buy you will learn not to press on it too hard and it'll be fine (I use the pen for writing everything in the sciences I do - Chemistry and Physics).

Compatible with Windows 95

Well, the down arrow on my type cover is a bit naf, as is the power button, don't worry, they both work fine, it's just me really.

I would also recommend using the touch versions of OneNote and Internet Explorer as well as buying a pack of AAAA batteries (Yes, AAAA) don't worry they don't run out quickly but you don't want to get caught short. I still have my first one going, but you do have to un-screw the pen and then re-screw it on occasion

Oh yeah, and buy a full cover too, it gets scratched (or more specifically, the back does)

The glass is a little thin, buy you will learn not to press on it too hard and it'll be fine (I use the pen for writing everything in the sciences I do - Chemistry and Physics).

Alright, thanks a lot for your help!

I'll leave this open for other people if they wanna add their opinion to it though :)

Surface. Easily most practical and best one of its type. If you can't afford... Dunno... One of the Note Pro's maybe? 

Surface. Easily most practical and best one of its type. If you can't afford... Dunno... One of the Note Pro's maybe? 

You mean the Galaxy Note Pro's, right? As I said in the first post, I would prefer a Windows tablet, just for being able to use Office and OneNote, and for having more choices with software.

You mean the Galaxy Note Pro's, right? As I said in the first post, I would prefer a Windows tablet, just for being able to use Office and OneNote, and for having more choices with software.

I just suggested it as a backup option after the Surface which is the only "good" (rather than meh, it works) Win8 hybrid since the Surface can be pricey for a student. Otherwise.. HP Envy or something?

I just suggested it as a backup option after the Surface which is the only "good" (rather than meh, it works) Win8 hybrid since the Surface can be pricey for a student. Otherwise.. HP Envy or something?

Well, the Envy is about €580 if you go for the student version. An advantage is the keyboard, which seems to be better than the optional Type Cover (although I could be wrong, just going after the screenshots) for the Surface.

On the other hand, you get Win 8.1 Core and not Pro, which I would actually prefer to have over Core (BitLocker, GPO). Also, no SSD? Come on!! I don't need a terabyte of storage on my tablet, I would MUCH rather have the money spent for an SSD!

My biggest reaosn not to get the thign would be the stylus. I really want to use one so I can take notes on the device, and from what I've read, people aren't too keen about the thing on the Envy (driver issues, you have to buy it extra).

Also, the Surface is "only" €719 with a student discount (which I'm eligible for)

Well, the Envy is about €580 if you go for the student version. An advantage is the keyboard, which seems to be better than the optional Type Cover (although I could be wrong, just going after the screenshots) for the Surface.

On the other hand, you get Win 8.1 Core and not Pro, which I would actually prefer to have over Core (BitLocker, GPO). Also, no SSD? Come on!! I don't need a terabyte of storage on my tablet, I would MUCH rather have the money spent for an SSD!

My biggest reaosn not to get the thign would be the stylus. I really want to use one so I can take notes on the device, and from what I've read, people aren't too keen about the thing on the Envy (driver issues, you have to buy it extra).

Also, the Surface is "only" €719 with a student discount (which I'm eligible for)

What are the internals of that Surface?